Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Dredg

Started by Martin, Dec 12, 2009, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

We can only speculate, but seeing the developement from CWA to Chuckles I think it's safe to say they won't ever be going back to their early sound. Say what you will of those records, but they have definitely moved more and more into the mainstream rock realm. Already on CWA this was hinted on, and Pariah is very mixed. Parts of it are glimpses of El Cielo, but with a thick layer of pop/rock on top. And Chuckles was the final plunge into the depths. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but I highly doubt it. They may do something more experimental, seeing as how Chuckles wasn't very successful. But the pop/rock tendencies are here to stay.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Zantera

Personally I love Pariah, maybe even my favorite. It was also the first I heard, so that plays a part. Despite the middle three albums being really good (leitmotif also being good), I somehow have really low hopes for another album. If they make a new album, I really wont have any expectations at all. If it ends up being great, then awesome. I somehow doubt it though.

Martin

Quote from: Zantera on May 29, 2013, 04:57 PM
If they release a B-sides album with songs that weren't qualified to end up on Chuckles, I might just kill myself.

Hahaha, nice one xD

Though, it depends on the criteria...maybe the wrong pile became an album? xD
Besides...there's plenty of good b-sides or unreleased stuff out there...for me, I'd really like to hear the full 'Holding A Redemy Potion' song.

Martin

Love Leitmotif, El Cielo and The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion.
Seem to listen to the other less and less.

Jacob

The Papal Insignia is their best b-side/demo in my opinion. In fact, it's one of my favorites songs by them.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Martin

Love that track (too).

Martin

Their playing this weekend. Wonder if they'll play new stuff...

black coffee

Quote from: black coffee on Mar 04, 2013, 01:55 PM

What I am hoping for is that dredg come here to do one of those Leitmotif / El Cielo / CWA in its entirety shows... that would be something. Either that or an awesome new album, not sure what is more likely though.

my apologies for quoting myself, but they're really doing it outside the US!!

04/23 London, UK – Scala (performing "Catch Without Arms" in full)

04/24 Vienna, AUT – Flex (performing "El Cielo" in full)

Theaterfabrik - Munich
Catch Without Arms in completion...

St. Peter - Frankfurt
El Cielo in completion..

Gloria - Cologne
*double performance
El Cielo early show
Catch Without Arms late show

Kesselhaus - Berlin
*double performance
El Cielo early show

Gruenspan - Hamburg
*double performance
El Cielo early show

Martin

theis

I'm listening to El Cielo for the first time in like 4 years.

It's still a magical album and nothing else sounds like it. Ugh, I hope we'll get to hear some new tunes from them at some point.

lostpilot

Yeah, I come back to El Cielo from to time too. It's a timeless progressive rock album in my eyes, it's a shame that they never really went out to reach a HUGE audience that they deserved at some point.

What happened in the last couple of albums no one knows, we should not talk about it.

theis

Yeah. I like Pariah though.

Overall, it's a shame that bands like Dredg, Oceansize and Fair to Midland got so overlooked that they were basically forced to quit the bizz. I miss all those bands.

Rally Sweat

Quote from: theis on Jul 22, 2016, 08:29 PM
Yeah. I like Pariah though.

Overall, it's a shame that bands like Dredg, Oceansize and Fair to Midland got so overlooked that they were basically forced to quit the bizz. I miss all those bands.

Oceansize were so special - one of those bands where the members differences created a unique sound but tore 'em apart in the end. Left on an amazingly high note though. Never heard Fair to Midland - best check 'em out!

theis

Definitely do! Start with their album "Fables from a Mayfly" :)

Martin

Haven't listened to Dredg in awhile, but am now totally obsessed again.

If anyone has stories, pictures, interviews, outtakes, videos...basically anything...please share. Thanks :)

Totally into this live show for example...the setlist, the sound, the odd outtakes and snippets of music between tracks, the sound-effects (the kittyyyyy) and the typewriter...so, so, so cool. *geeks out*
https://youtu.be/DDW1pGg-kVo

Crazylegs

That's always cool, having a music reneaissance like that.

Seeing that video gave me a reminder that I have a problem with the drummer, man. Seeing him play makes me tense up.

Martin

Quote from: Crazylegs on Dec 06, 2016, 08:10 PM
That's always cool, having a music reneaissance like that.

Totally. I'm glad I saved a lot of b-sides and EP's.

Quote from: Crazylegs on Dec 06, 2016, 08:10 PMSeeing that video gave me a reminder that I have a problem with the drummer, man. Seeing him play makes me tense up.

Really? In what way?
To be honest, I always really enjoyed watching him go off like that. Like it's an improvised attempt to murder his drumkit.

Crazylegs

let's just say that the word effortless does NOT come to mind. I don't mind drummers playing hard, but it looks like this guy is tightening every muscle in his body. I'm surprised he doesn't cramp up after the first song.

Martin

Quote from: Crazylegs on Dec 07, 2016, 08:39 AM
let's just say that the word effortless does NOT come to mind. I don't mind drummers playing hard, but it looks like this guy is tightening every muscle in his body. I'm surprised he doesn't cramp up after the first song.

Haha I see your point. Love it though, looks like a pretty good overal workout :D

Martin

Does anyone have a download of this Dredg show at the Troubadour on June 10th 2006? I used to be able to rip YouTube videos, but the site no-longer works.

https://youtu.be/DDW1pGg-kVo

Thank you!