Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Dredg

Started by Martin, Dec 13, 2009, 12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cesar421

They are going to play El cielo in its entirety in Santa Cruz CA in December!

Jacob

Quote from: bewareofrats on Sep 05, 2012, 01:55 AM
Chuckles is TERRIBLE.  Absolutely boring with a capital BORING.

I've already shared my opinion, but I feel the need to point out that no band has ever disappointed me as much as Dredg. several bands have gotten boring over the years, and there are a few where I love only an album or two. but with these bands I can still enjoy most of their other work, or at least disregard the rest as experimentation gone wrong or inevitable selling out (which of course can be disappointing). but Dredg once created El Cielo, one of my all-time favorite albums (it still is), and ended up putting out something as boring and plain as Chuckles. hell, I stuck it out when they started writing pop songs - it wasn't what I expected, but it turned out they were good at it and still had their own twist on it. but Chuckles isn't even good poppy Dredg. it just isn't good, period. hell, I don't even mind them experimenting with electronic sounds, but they could have at least tried to make it interesting.

I've said it before and I say it again. Chuckles has more in common with anything Justin Timberlake has put out that it has with El Cielo. or any of their other albums, for that matter.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

bewareofrats

Well The Pariah isn't much more poppy than El Cielo I don't think.  Those are definitely their two best albums and Chuckles is like a bad joke.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Jacob

some of the songs are very poppy, much more so than El Cielo. it started on Catch Without Arms already. but like I said, they showed they could do that as well. especially on Pariah, where they showed they could mix the atmospheric and experimental side of El Cielo with their poppier side and it sounded great. but they threw that out the window on Chuckles.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

bright lights, big city

Quote from: bewareofrats on Sep 10, 2012, 12:18 AM
Well The Pariah isn't much more poppy than El Cielo I don't think.  Those are definitely their two best albums and Chuckles is like a bad joke.
Hey we agree on something! I put Pariah in high regard, up there with El Cielo for me.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

black coffee

lostpilot described it in another topic fittingly

Quote from: lostpilot on Aug 31, 2012, 01:37 PM
I am becoming old and stupid since I bitch about every single new decision any of old bands that I used to listen to makes.

OFTEN over the years I felt like that. It took me forever to take Frames by Oceansize for the album it is. After their first two albums, I imagined Oceansize could have done so much better, but who am I to say that? They took a direction they thought was the right one.
And if I cannot enjoy it, its too bad for me and not for them.

And about dredg, they always pointed out that they make music for themselves, and don't consider in the writing process what fans of Leitmotif or El Cielo want.
While I respect that attitude, I also know I can just "leave" whenever I want. And thats why I don't understand why people take it so personal that dredg didn't release the albums they thought dredg were capable of.

But I was no different. In the Summer holidays 2004 I was in Greece and I listened to all the live tracks from their upcoming album, like Jamais Vu, Bug Eyes or Not That Simple at the beach, and it all was so raw and fresh and exciting!! The album could never keep up with that, it felt too polished. Today I am pretty sure it had a lot to do with the great holiday I had, not just the music.

lostpilot

Dude, it's strange how I actually see 'Frames' as a natural and very mature progression.. everything that came afterwards sucked a lot more.

black coffee

hmmmmm I didn't mean to get too much into Oceansize or Frames as I only took it as an example for a band that I am slowly losing interest in as it doesn't give me as much as their previous albums.

A lot of former favorite bands of mine released an album at some point that I didn't like, and then its a question how to deal with that. Accept the new path they have taken, or say fuck it ( like I do it with Minus The Bear and anything they release in the future. just another example )

lostpilot

and this keeps happening.
old bands, bad new decisions

pinkmaggit69

I'm flying from Portland, OR to NYC to see the El Cielo show.  Going to be awesome!

Drinks won't stain this birth!

Fireal1222

leitmotif and el cielo are two albums that will forever be etched into my favorite albums of all time list.

but i do i agree with most of you guys. their music simply watered down over the years. and even though i still enjoy their music, they don't excite me like they used to.

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

bewareofrats

Their music was only watered down with Chuckles and a little with Catch Without Arms.  Leitmotif is easily their worst, after Chuckles.

Fireal1222

Quote from: black coffee on Sep 10, 2012, 03:00 PM

But I was no different. In the Summer holidays 2004 I was in Greece and I listened to all the live tracks from their upcoming album, like Jamais Vu, Bug Eyes or Not That Simple at the beach, and it all was so raw and fresh and exciting!! The album could never keep up with that, it felt too polished. Today I am pretty sure it had a lot to do with the great holiday I had, not just the music.

it wasnt the holiday. those songs were absolutely amazing when they were touring on them before they released catch without arms. i remember hearing the songs and being blown away. i went to see them live a few months before catch without arms came out, and i got to meet the band. they played a ton of new stuff and it sounded absolutely amazing.. then the album came out and i was let down because it didnt have the same energy the live show had

although i didnt like CWA at first. it grew on me over time and now i love that album..
Quote from: bewareofrats on Oct 16, 2012, 11:26 PM
Their music was only watered down with Chuckles and a little with Catch Without Arms.  Leitmotif is easily their worst, after Chuckles.

you are crazy, leitmotif is amazing. i cant choose between el cielo and leitmotif for a favorite album

i understand that everyone has their own opinion, but how can you not love this song?

dredg - Traversing Through the Arctic Cold We Search for the Spirit of Yuta (+ Intermission)

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

NicholasHume

Quote from: Fireal1222 on Oct 17, 2012, 08:17 AM
Quote from: black coffee on Sep 10, 2012, 03:00 PM

it wasnt the holiday. those songs were absolutely amazing when they were touring on them before they released catch without arms. i remember hearing the songs and being blown away. i went to see them live a few months before catch without arms came out, and i got to meet the band. they played a ton of new stuff and it sounded absolutely amazing.. then the album came out and i was let down because it didnt have the same energy the live show had

although i didnt like CWA at first. it grew on me over time and now i love that album..
Quote from: bewareofrats on Oct 16, 2012, 11:26 PM

you are crazy, leitmotif is amazing. i cant choose between el cielo and leitmotif for a favorite album

i understand that everyone has their own opinion, but how can you not love this song?

dredg - Traversing Through the Arctic Cold We Search for the Spirit of Yuta (+ Intermission)

Thanks for posting that song - that album is great. I had only heard the album Catch Without Arms before tonight, and it always left me wanting more. This is more like it. I'm definitely going to check out El Cielo after this.

Nice work everybody, keep it up.

bartdaddy12

Didnt dredg say somewhere that Chuckles is meant to be poppy and that it was an experiment by them? They worked with Dan the Automater to try something new and they put it out there that it was going to be very different. In that case, you can hate all you want...but I give them credit for just going out there and trying someone new, so see what they are capable of. So what it wasnt the best cd ever, that happens. Btw I enjoy 1-2 songs from that album.

I disagree about the whole watered down idea. Leitmotif was definitely more raw and I love that cd for what it is, but I think they were just naturally progressing with each album. El Cielo is when I found Dredg, so I love that cd with a passion. I think CWA is also amazing but I feel like it took a bit of a softer turn with them writing songs that were more accessible. The pariah is there best, thats my opinion. I think they have put all the pieces together and have really found something there. I never skip a single track on Pariah, its a little poppy but has a groove to a lot of the songs, sometimes a dark groove...now that Im talkin about it I will be listening to that in my car today.

Gee

El Cielo
Pariah-honestly, Information is a baaad song
CWA
---
---
*50 meters of crap*
---
---
Chuckles

I never gave Leitmotif a proper listen so I wouldnt be able to rate that album.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

black coffee

That's like talking about Iron Maiden and not having listened to their first album. Treason!!

In other words, Leitmotif needs to be in there or you give us no chance to take your nice little ranking serious.

bewareofrats

The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion
El Cielo
Catch Without Arms
Leitmotif
Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Hesperian Death-Horse!

For those who care, and actually buy/listen to vinyl:

http://merchnow.com/products/150261/el-cielo-10th-anniversary-double-45-lp

Cannot believe this finally happened. I thought it NEVER would....

EDIT: And I guess I'll to this too

El Cielo/Leitmotif (the former is superior by a hair)
Catch Without Arms (Decline begins)
LOTS OF SHITHEAPS
TPTPTD
.EVEN WORSE SHIT
CAMS

bewareofrats

I don't get how The Pariah can be shitheaps below El Cielo when it's the closest thing they've done to that album but whatever.