Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Dredg

Started by Martin, Dec 12, 2009, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChannelZer0

I ducking love "Sun Goes Down" and "The Ornament"!!
Sorrow

An bád dubh

After the initial disappointed Ive calmed down and will wait for the album to come out, giving it a proper chance. My common theory in pretty much all things in life has been: "If it feels good from day one, it probably wont stay that way for a very long time. If it feels a bit bad from the day one, it might become something awesome in the long run".

Though with music this theory is proven totally correct ever more rarely. Hence for music the theory has been transformed to: "If you love it from day one, you will love it for a long time. If you enjoy it from day one, it might not last for a very long time. If it feels awkward from day one, it might end up being awesome in the long run. If it brings up no emotions from the day one, it will not be something that stays for a long time".

Regarding this odd theory, Im hoping that the new album falls into the third part, as it really felt awkward, and certainly brough up feelings, even if somewhat negative.

We'll see.

from_musings

Quote from: mr.sinister on Apr 11, 2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah I was going to listen to it, but the file size was way too small, so I didn't even bother. I'll just wait until the release date or until a better quality leak surfaces. This album has been getting a lot of shit, but I think it sounds pretty sweet and fresh from what I heard on Amazon. I agree that it will probably be their worst album,, but nevertheless I do seem to like every record they put out. Each album has its own distinctive sound and I like that. I think Chuckles is just an album they wanted to experiment and have fun with regardless of critic reception.

i hear what you say, but to release a great album that people will buy would still have to be primary to that fact that it's cool to release crap and don't care about what people think. i prefer good music over people who are awesome as persons, in a case like this

from_musings

Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 12, 2011, 02:43 PM
Am I just having a bad day or are others also as disappointed with what theyre hearing right now?

um, did you even read the reactions? look around.. your questions will be answered  ;)

Sushi-X

So seeing all the posts on this thread. You guys have gotten me interested in this band. Never heard them before and I'm willing to give them a shotr just to see what all the love/hate they've been getting. Which album should I start off first with?

Rocket Skates '94

rehostia

Quote from: Sushi-X on Apr 14, 2011, 03:08 AM
So seeing all the posts on this thread. You guys have gotten me interested in this band. Never heard them before and I'm willing to give them a shotr just to see what all the love/hate they've been getting. Which album should I start off first with?

el cielo..

E-Money

Dredg has about 10 songs that I think are amazing. The rest is just ok.... New album is by far their worst.

skinnypuppy

i revisited el cielo yesterday and was all "wow, I forgot how incredible this album is"

Oldnewtype

dredg is starting to remind me of king crimson in the way that all of my friends say they love the band but only listen to one album.

skinnypuppy

I fucking love catch without arms and parrot, too :)

bewareofrats

I hate it when some of their fans only talk about Leitmotif as if it's so above and beyond the rest and can't be touched.  I think that album is way overrated amongst Dredg fans and El Cielo and Pariah are clearly better albums.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Oldnewtype

leitmotif = el cielo = catch without arms = pariah = chuckles.

Thats my opinion.

bewareofrats

I don't think even you know what that means.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Starz

I agree that Leitmotif is over-rated. Sounds to me like a band who are only just discovering the music they are trully capable of. El Cielo yes is their best album and I'm sure the band themselves agree. But fuck making the same album twice, it's just a shame the new record is such bullshit.

from_musings

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Apr 15, 2011, 07:17 PM
leitmotif = el cielo = catch without arms = pariah = chuckles.

Thats my opinion.

i agree with that order.which means they're just getting worse. I don't think chuckles is a record that gets poorly received in the beginning but then grows over time. I don't think it will get that much worse with time either. how is that even possible ; )

lostpilot

infinite regress

ben

Leitmotif has that horrible song when the guy screams like he's constipated.  That's all I need to know.  El Cielo for the victory.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: ben on Apr 16, 2011, 03:59 PM
Leitmotif has that horrible song when the guy screams like he's constipated.  That's all I need to know.  El Cielo for the victory.
THIS
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

from_musings

yes we're all upset that the new record sucks, but we don't need to use those negative angry feelings that comes with it to fight each other
over the old leitmotif vs el cielo quarrel. we need to stick together in tough times like this and comfort each other.please no fighting

Sushi-X

listened to el cielo, gotta say they have a good sound/ The vocals just don't do it for me though

Rocket Skates '94