Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Dredg

Started by Martin, Dec 12, 2009, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckles

I bought the cd yesterday... And no booklet was included... A real pain... Anybody else with the same problem?... Just asking
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

skinnypuppy

Quote from: bewareofrats on May 04, 2011, 03:48 AM
Quote from: skinnypuppy on May 02, 2011, 05:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 02, 2011, 11:07 AM
Quote from: bewareofrats on Apr 30, 2011, 02:54 AM
Hahaha.  

Gavin Hayes: It has nothing to do with change or comfort zone.  It has to do with the fact that the new album is boring as shit.  It's not interesting in the least.  Boring little comfort zone?  Your new album is what's boring.

haha, exactly. Gavin is full of himself. this sounds like poor excuses. there's no hiding the fact that the old material is trying to be progressive and "artsy". immature or not, they've proven over and over that they can't write music nearly as good anymore. or they just don't want to. so if he wants to stick to pop, fine. but making fans of the old material sound like idiots and trying to say they're wrong is pathetic.

I think some people have a hard time accepting new sounds from bands.

To reiterate, Gavin is not full of himself :)
I don't think he's necessarily full of himself but I don't have a hard time accepting new sounds at all.  That's what I'm saying.  I don't know about other people but I don't think that's the problem for a lot of other fans either.  If the new sounds intrigued me in the least, regardless of how different they were, I'd have no problem saying it.  These new songs though are just boring.  Plain and simple.

that's cool brah, just would suggest not hating on a band for an album you don't connect with. They're still the same band, they're still dredg, it's just a new album ya don't like. I had the same issue with Radiohead.

skinnypuppy

Quote from: chuckles on May 04, 2011, 04:10 AM
I bought the cd yesterday... And no booklet was included... A real pain... Anybody else with the same problem?... Just asking

the UV effect on the album is so cool though! I too like lyrics and all that jazz but whatev

Corleone

Why is this thread stickied? and the radiohead isn't?

defskull

I'm very confused. Did I just pick up the same album today that everyone else has been listening to? I've been reading on here for the past month or so just piles of shit being tossed on the new album. So when I listen to it today and think "this is very fucking good" I get confused.

What did everyone expect? It's dredg and Dan the Automator. You know what it sounds like? It sounds like Dan the Automator produced a dredg record. Which, as weird as it may sound, is exactly what I expected. 

E-Money

Quote from: Corleone on May 05, 2011, 12:39 AM

spitfire

from_musings

Quote from: defskull on May 05, 2011, 04:22 AM
It's dredg and Dan the Automator. You know what it sounds like? It sounds like Dan the Automator produced a Giant turd. Which, as weird as it may sound, is exactly what I expected.  

i agree

from_musings

Quote from: E-Money on May 05, 2011, 05:04 AM

because long ago, dredg were good and radiohead weren't. but things have changed and so should sl

Crazylegs

Quote from: from_musings on May 05, 2011, 12:44 PM

because long ago, dredg were good and radiohead weren't. but things have changed and so should sl

Hmm. I must admit i didn't like the first two radiohead albums much, but I don't remember radiohead ever not being good, at least not as long as this board has existed.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Crazylegs on May 05, 2011, 12:54 PM
Quote from: from_musings on May 05, 2011, 12:44 PM

Hmm. I must admit i didn't like the first two radiohead albums much, but I don't remember radiohead ever not being good, at least not as long as this board has existed.
I might ruffle some feathers here, but I'm gonna go out and say that if Radiohead did El Cielo, that would only be like their 5th or 6th best album.

/don't know why we started a dredg vs radiohead battle
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

mr.sinister

Chuckles is very good, im not sure what all the hate was about? I listened to it when my download card arrived in my e-mail and I liked all the way through. My favorites right now are Another Tribe, Sun Goes Down, Kalathat. I think its a refreshing sound for them and in no ways awful as some are perceiving it to be.

I saw them a couple of nights ago on their CD release party and they played amazing. The new songs sound very good live especially Another Tribe and Down Without a Fight. They played such a kick ass set list and after the show I got to meet and talk with Gavin and Drew. They also signed my copy of Leitmotiff.

Here is the setlist;

Down Without a Fight
Upon Returing
Not That Simple
Lechium
Lightswitch
Planting Seeds
Whoa is Me
It Only Took a Day
Canyon Behind Her
Bug Eyes
Information
90 Hour Sleep
Another Tribe
The Though of Losing You
The Tent
Of the Room

It was funny there was dude that kept screaming out "Zebraskin!" And Gavin was like "What? Zebraskin? We didn't write that... thats wayy too poppy. Fucking sellouts.."

theis

Lechium, 90 Hour Sleep, Whoa is Me. It Only Took a Day, Canyon Behind Her AND Of the Room? Damn. Awesome setlist.

I agree with you. Chuckles has grown on me a lot.

Lol @ the Zebraskin comment.

mr.sinister

Right? I was expecting their typical El Cielo songs like Same Ol Road, Sanzen and Triangle but playing the later half of that album was so refreshing. I've seen them live twice and this is my favorite performance.

Menos el Oso

Here are 2 vids of them performing their new material live.
Another Tribe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6iBuOsoVuk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
The Tent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umaZ4nfBL58&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

and here's a vid where he says that Zebraskin is too poppy. lol
It Only Took a Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3kBv8x8Ous&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

An bád dubh

Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 12, 2011, 02:43 PM
This sounds to me like a dance band on a cruise ship between Finland and Sweden, after the bingo and the evening show for the whole family. Now its time for the elderly couples to dance after having some drinks. Some small children are also dancing in front of the stage, holding each others' hands, with glow sticks in their hands. The dance band is happy, they're all smiling, theyre indeed playing the best covers to fit the evening, so that everyone can dance. Some might even dare to ask for a stranger to dance, but just to go on to separate ways after the song is over.

Am I just having a bad day or are others also as disappointed with what theyre hearing right now?

I keep this definition, its spot on, but I take out the last sentence of being disappointed. Because..

..how can I be disappointed as I just love the album! I felt like I even hated the album after my second listen, but already on the third listen I was just loving it.

cesar421

does anybody here have the dvd of dredg performing el cielo? i've been looking that for a quiet while now and i just don't have good luck on finding. i found a website but a part of the dvd is not working.

any info would be grateful, thanks:)

Oldnewtype

saw them last night, show was fucking awesome. pretty much same songs as the above setlist just in a slightly different order. I lol'd when he couldn't do the screams in lechium. And the new material sounds so good live, Gavin was way more animated than I've seen him in previous show. He was all over the stage and Dino was playing like a fuckin beast.

mr.sinister

Quote from: Oldnewtype on May 26, 2011, 04:15 PM
saw them last night, show was fucking awesome. pretty much same songs as the above setlist just in a slightly different order. I lol'd when he couldn't do the screams in lechium. And the new material sounds so good live, Gavin was way more animated than I've seen him in previous show. He was all over the stage and Dino was playing like a fuckin beast.
Aww man really? Gavin pulled off those screams pretty good when I saw them. He might till be in some pain from that throat infection he got a couple of weeks ago.

Oldnewtype

he looked like he was screaming but i heard nothing, maybe b/c i was right in front the stage. Everyone else said they could hear the vocals better from the back.