Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Eros

Started by Vesanic, Mar 23, 2010, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

It was a random YouTube channel called JG Productions.

Vesanic

I have edited OP with new links (DeftonesLive edits of the live performances of Smile and Melanie for example), and re-edited info.

A few years back, Nico (deftones-argentina here) has provided me with an audio clip of the fan-named "Dallas". It was different from the one that leaked, with an extended intro and a weird cut in it. I don't remember where he got that from.

Also, a few months back while I was doing some research on "Eros", I found out through their last interview before Chi's accident that the record was tentatively set for release to January 2009.

I also found an interview from mid-2008 where Chino said they were planning on a small-venue-only tour to go back to "those roots" per se, and they were going to play one full record at each show, one different record at each gig too.

Visionz

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 28, 2020, 09:23 PM
I have edited OP with new links (DeftonesLive edits of the live performances of Smile and Melanie for example), and re-edited info.

A few years back, Nico (deftones-argentina here) has provided me with an audio clip of the fan-named "Dallas". It was different from the one that leaked, with an extended intro and a weird cut in it. I don't remember where he got that from.

Also, a few months back while I was doing some research on "Eros", I found out through their last interview before Chi's accident that the record was tentatively set for release to January 2009.

I also found an interview from mid-2008 where Chino said they were planning on a small-venue-only tour to go back to "those roots" per se, and they were going to play one full record at each show, one different record at each gig too.

So, "fan named". Ok thanks....
And holy shit wld that have been magical for them to tour like that and be there for a show!? I feel like the band really really changed after Chi and Eros' days and not in a bad way but i miss the band i knew them as if u get me. They (especially Chino) are in a way better headspace now compared to then but the music was a lot different to me and always will be. It was meant to be though.

Vesanic

BBC aired Smile during that recent Deftones special. I mean that's pretty awesome. Smile is still not an official release.

Draken

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 30, 2020, 04:57 AM
BBC aired Smile during that recent Deftones special. I mean that's pretty awesome. Smile is still not an official release despite.

Yeah I noticed that too... Warner Bros is like fuckit

aj

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 30, 2020, 04:57 AM
BBC aired Smile during that recent Deftones special. I mean that's pretty awesome. Smile is still not an official release.

Yeah that blew my mind. Not the first time Daniel P Carter has played it on Radio 1 though. He did it a while back.

Roncore

You are 100% correct.

WB owns the masters.  This is how the music industry works if you don't keep all publishing rights from the get go.  Sorry to bring up a old message, but it seemed like people weren't believing in your statement.

Quote from: Korea Rounding on Nov 11, 2018, 11:34 AM
Quote from: Gaz on Nov 09, 2018, 11:19 AM
I think you are talking shit

You seem to think that labels just pour money over artists, and then the artists are free to whatever the fuck they want anyway.
If that's not naive thinking I don't know what is

Quote from: sharinglungs on Nov 08, 2018, 09:01 AM
There's a slight difference between Metallica and Deftones when it comes to affording to buy back their catalog though.

Yes there is. So what's your point?

Gaz

Quote from: Roncore on Sep 30, 2020, 09:00 PM
You are 100% correct.

WB owns the masters.  This is how the music industry works if you don't keep all publishing rights from the get go.  Sorry to bring up a old message, but it seemed like people weren't believing in your statement.

You seem to think that labels just pour money over artists, and then the artists are free to whatever the fuck they want anyway.

There's a slight difference between Metallica and Deftones when it comes to affording to buy back their catalog though.

Digging up old comments, you obviously couldn't understand I was taking the piss (that's a British term if you don't know it)

Visionz

Quote from: Gaz on Oct 01, 2020, 03:57 PM
You are 100% correct.

Digging up old comments, you obviously couldn't understand I was taking the piss (that's a British term if you don't know it)

What does "taking the piss" mean to Brits? Maybe i missed something, just curious to know

sharinglungs

It means he was joking around.

Visionz

from_musings

Quote from: Gaz on Oct 01, 2020, 03:57 PM
You are 100% correct.

No offense Gaz, but it really doesn't seem like you were joking,sorry   ;D

I don't know what deftones exact deal with warner was back then, and neither does anyone else here. but I would guess they signed away the master rights, pretty standard in those days

Ihateallofmyfriends

Quote from: sharinglungs on Oct 08, 2020, 12:06 PM
https://www.nme.com/news/music/deftones-on-lost-album-eros-it-would-be-interesting-to-finish-at-some-point-and-ive-never-said-we-wont-2775289

Yoooooooooo we might hear eros from start to finish!

The comments he's made in this interview give real hope of them actually finisihing it, part of me had wished that them reuniting with Terry may reignite that particular flame. I know they've said previously they may never finish it or might only release a few tracks as an EP, but I do hope they finish it as much as it must be hard to go back to it.

Draken

they need to just finish it already, not like they don't have the time...

Visionz

Nothing new to see there. they play Chi's songs every night when touring and rehearsing. I guess its the whole "finishing" the songs that Chi wont get to play or hear that he helped create? Must be. Chino writes songs by reacting to the music. But it seems he feels he would be too uncomfortable reacting to these noises again after all this time. And does time make it easier to revisit one day bc of the healing process? Or does time as it goes on make it harder and less likely? We dont know.  Nobody does..... dont hold your breath. It will be a nice surprise if something happens then

Roidragee

I remember hearing stef say like a month ago that the entire Eros album is finished instrumentally, so its up to Chino / the label if they wanna put out Eros at some point. If Stef is telling the truth, maybe Chino could start thinking of melodies / lyrics right now just for fun. I dont see them releasing Eros until they're near retirement, though

Draken

Quote from: Roidragee on Oct 08, 2020, 10:24 PM
I remember hearing stef say like a month ago that the entire Eros album is finished instrumentally, so its up to Chino / the label if they wanna put out Eros at some point. If Stef is telling the truth, maybe Chino could start thinking of melodies / lyrics right now just for fun. I dont see them releasing Eros until they're near retirement, though

That would suck but probably makes sense they would wait until that kind of moment... Stef did say recently that the album was complete instrumentally but he also went on to say that typically when Chino goes to finish his vocals over the music they tend to have to rewrite/rearrange the instrumentation a little to suit Chino's vox. So, it's like double dipping, but according to him it's the way they've always done it.

and I don't know what the future for live gigs will be but I hope they can get back to it next year, if not, then they have to figure out another way. Releasing more music is of course something I personally wouldn't mind seeing (Ohms, Black Stallion, Eros, re-issues/re-mixes, dvds, compilations, etc.) I know like me, their entire rabid fan base would most likely buy up anything they decide to officially release...

Draken

Inkblades

Shaun Lopez talks about Eros on the latest Change in the House of Flies podcast, here's him describing one of the songs:

https://twitter.com/93XRadio/status/1547936519997968385