Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

from_musings

Quote from: sharinglungs on Mar 15, 2016, 12:12 PM
Sorry for the shit translation but that's the best Google could do.

(improvement of the text) :

"Recently an Ultimate guitar interview spread with deftones guitarist stef carpenter, where he said he initially did not want to play on gore,when he heard the ideas his colleagues had. immediately that statement was interpreted as he hates the album and is on the way out of the band. if one read further than the headline you understood that what stef meant was that he found it difficult to agree with the direction of "gore", but finally succeeded. And when you listen to the result, it is actually carpenter that impresses the most. In songs like "Pittura Infamante" and"Doomed User" he shows up a new found love to riff, something that hasn't been heard since around the fur.
Biggest moment on the album is "Hearts/Wires". the guitarists input in the lengthy, ambient intro is nothing short of magic.
It then characterizes the main song, which mood is reminiscent of the classic "passenger" from white pony.

Speaking of guitar playing, lot of talking up until gore has been Alice in chains-man Jerry Cantrell's guest appearance in "Phantom Bride".
The track itself is a beautiful piece with a melancholic easy autumn feel to it. Cantrell's sparse melancholy guitar solo emerges as a central figure in the middle of the song, steals focus, and then exits. it does not sound like he had been able to do it in AIC, nor anything Deftones had fixed on their own. it is something completely unique that has been developed for the purpose.

Otherwise? the album has an airier, more dreamy atmosphere than its two immediate predecessors, and I keep my fingers crossed that Gore surpasses both. the band is challenging itself and tests new approaches/roads in some songs.
Something so doomey as "Acid Hologram" - they have never done before. and "(L)MIRL" sounds like the soundtrack to a psychological thriller.

Constant is the dim, the dark tone, which runs like a red thread through the songs. possible straggly/incoherence, in spite of all the experimentation, is effectively prevented and a true masterpiece is a fact."

cvthedrv

ANattyRat

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 15, 2016, 01:28 PM
Something so doomey as "Acid Hologram" - they have never done before. and "(L)MIRL" sounds like the soundtrack to a psychological thriller.

Constant is the dim, the dark tone, which runs like a red thread through the songs. possible straggly/incoherence, in spite of all the experimentation, is effectively prevented and a true masterpiece is a fact."

Oh yes, that's ecactly what I want to hear. Sounds like we get quite a diverse range of moods in these songs. Doomy? Psychological thriller? Dark tone? All getting me very excited. God, I can't wait for this album. Thanks for the translation.

Reichward

QuoteIn songs like "Pittura Infamante" and"Doomed User" he shows up a new found love to riff, something that hasn't been heard since around the fur.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

N0S3BLEED976

Dark tones, experimentation, riffing Stef hasn't done since ATF... They seem to have tackled a lot of things a lot of you have been complaining about on Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan. Like the music wasn't dark enough and Stephen was just using his bottom string and didn't came up with anything experimental anymore.

Still, I'm hundred percent sure that the usual people on here who are the most vocal about their hate towards the direction they were going with their previous albums still find an excuse to completely hate on the new record, just for the sake of it. Fuck you guys in advance.

snw9

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 15, 2016, 01:28 PM

(improvement of the text) :

"Recently an Ultimate guitar interview spread with deftones guitarist stef carpenter, where he said he initially did not want to play on gore,when he heard the ideas his colleagues had. immediately that statement was interpreted as he hates the album and is on the way out of the band. if one read further than the headline you understood that what stef meant was that he found it difficult to agree with the direction of "gore", but finally succeeded. And when you listen to the result, it is actually carpenter that impresses the most. In songs like "Pittura Infamante" and"Doomed User" he shows up a new found love to riff, something that hasn't been heard since around the fur.
Biggest moment on the album is "Hearts/Wires". the guitarists input in the lengthy, ambient intro is nothing short of magic.
It then characterizes the main song, which mood is reminiscent of the classic "passenger" from white pony.

Speaking of guitar playing, lot of talking up until gore has been Alice in chains-man Jerry Cantrell's guest appearance in "Phantom Bride".
The track itself is a beautiful piece with a melancholic easy autumn feel to it. Cantrell's sparse melancholy guitar solo emerges as a central figure in the middle of the song, steals focus, and then exits. it does not sound like he had been able to do it in AIC, nor anything Deftones had fixed on their own. it is something completely unique that has been developed for the purpose.

Otherwise? the album has an airier, more dreamy atmosphere than its two immediate predecessors, and I keep my fingers crossed that Gore surpasses both. the band is challenging itself and tests new approaches/roads in some songs.

"Otherwise? the album has an airier, more dreamy atmosphere than its two immediate predecessors, and I keep my fingers crossed that Gore surpasses both." Sounds like good news for SNW fans.

Acid Hologram: Doomey yet heavy sonically (According to Chino). I have a gut feeling Acid Hologram is the second snippet from the Chuck Doom instagram mashup.
Code: [Select]

jciraheta

excuse me i am form el salvador and have some problems with some words ,  when they said airee ?¿ , or heavy , i get confuse

heavy will be for me something like slipknot or something with a lot of screaming , but i prefer an album with a dark tone but not heavy maybe for example  HITE , so overall how do you think this album is going to be ???

snw9

Quote from: jciraheta on Mar 15, 2016, 03:18 PM
excuse me i am form el salvador and have some problems with some words ,  when they said airee ?¿ , or heavy , i get confuse

heavy will be for me something like slipknot or something with a lot of screaming , but i prefer an album with a dark tone but not heavy maybe for example  HITE , so overall how do you think this album is going to be ???

Airier doesn't mean heavy but soft with melodic tunes. Heavy could be very noisy or like slipknot with lots of distortion.
Code: [Select]

Freedomsoldier17

I'd say Prayers/Triangles fits that description pretty well. the heavier parts come in during the bridge.

jciraheta

so if overall the album is gonig to be like PT i thing i am going to like it alot , of course there will be some variations, but i think that is type o def son that i personally like , o even slower ... slow songs with heavy parts  :)

sharinglungs

Quote from: jciraheta on Mar 15, 2016, 04:23 PM
so if overall the album is gonig to be like PT i thing i am going to like it alot , of course there will be some variations, but i think that is type o def son that i personally like , o even slower ... slow songs with heavy parts  :)

it's not going to be like P/T. We've been told P/T is a weaker song from the album.

illthrowROCKS@U

I'm so excited...  Every interview where the interviewer has heard the music starts describing songs has made me more pumped than the one before it.  I can't fucking wait...  I said it months ago when we first started hearing just a couple clips, and I'll say it again, this will be my favorite album since ST.  I can just feel it.  And this isn't normal for me, I didn't have this sort of expectation with DE or KNY...  Everything just seems right in its place with this one.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Yoi Yes Kokan

since when has stef done anything but play power chords? and if he hasn't been riffing since ATF, what have you been enjoying for the other 5 albums in between that?

whitefur

Lol, yeah, no riffs since Around The Fur.......what instrument has Steph been playing since ATF, a xylophone?!?

Reichward

It sever said that Stef had not composed any riffs since ATF. Remember that the interview was poorly translated. What it means is that it's his best riffs since ATF.

Edit: meant "translated", not "traduced".

Yoi Yes Kokan

in whos opinion? true that whole album was testosterone from beginning to end but there was no best riff from him on that album, he had better riffs on white pony and self titled and these last two.

sharinglungs

fuckin relax. it's a terrible translation, it could mean anything as different dialects have different meanings for the way things are said.

QuoteIn songs like "Pittura Infamante" and"Doomed User" he shows up a new found love to riff, something that hasn't been heard since around the fur.

That to me sounds like he's got some heavy/fast chunky riffs that we're going to love. Nowhere does it say that he hasn't composed any riffs since around the fur.

cvthedrv

Quote from: whitefur on Mar 15, 2016, 06:12 PM
Lol, yeah, no riffs since Around The Fur.......what instrument has Steph been playing since ATF, a xylophone?!?

you must be retard.

from_musings

Quote from: Reichward on Mar 15, 2016, 06:21 PM
It sever said that Stef had not composed any riffs since ATF. Remember that the interview was poorly traduced. What it means is that it's his best riffs since ATF.

yup.it says that stef shows up a rediscovered love for riffing away. the reviewer means that he hasn't heard that kind of passion for riffs since atf.
something like that. the text was improved, not perfect by any means :) 

sharinglungs

Deftones at SXSW tonight.. I wonder if we'll get Doomed User/P/T in better quality?