Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electron§

Quote from: from_musings on Aug 18, 2011, 01:08 PM
Quote from: Electron§ on Aug 17, 2011, 01:13 PM
(maybe this is a sign of progression in a previous bad situation dealt with during the last album which is still bothering Chino and has gotten worst? Going from a *White Pony* to a *Black Horse*?)

i find it a little strange to sing about other records in new songs, doesn't seem like chino. but then again, i'll never been a fan of chino's lyrics that much and usually don't analyse them too much either... so i'll leave it to others as much as possible
Im not saying he was literally referring to White Pony in whatever context he was trying to put the lyrics in, but i think it was more symbolic. Usually a black horse is symbol of death i might add, and white pony is supposedly a cocaine reference, so maybe its Chino's comment on the progression of drug use until you die. Like hes saying basically hes so addicted to cocaine thats he stopped caring whether or not he dies from it (i.e. "We can ride on a black horse if you like that.")

Ultimately, from this and other things i previously said, my conclusion is its a song about how Chino views Celeste's opinion on his drug use and how she notices its getting worst and worst and how shes starting to care for him less because of it. The phone references could be said to be how his addiction makes him communicates his thoughts in a different way than normal.  

from_musings

for a long time, just like most people,i thought deftones deserved much respect for changing their style with white pony,because so many other bands wanted to sound the same as them, copied the adrenaline and atf sound. i still feel respect for them cause of that in a way, but really...wouldn't the most admirable thing be to completely ignore those bands and just go on as usual? "We are deftones, we do what we want and play the music we like - regardless of what others are playing. -we don't give a fuck about those copy cats it's our style."  to constantly be on the guard and change their music because of what shitty bands do -is it really that respectful? why get bothered by little bugs if you are a big rhino? why not do their thing and make that thing better than others, wouldn't that show confidence? yes.. I like the dynamics within the songs, much more than dynamics in an album as a whole like wp with elite and teenager. oh well,people who think wp is their best work won't agree with me because of that, but this is not a question about which album is best, this is about respectful actions or not

Electron§

Quote from: from_musings on Aug 18, 2011, 01:20 PM
for a long time, just like most people,i thought deftones deserved much respect for changing their style with white pony,because so many other bands wanted to sound the same as them, copied the adrenaline and atf sound. i still feel respect for them cause of that in a way, but really...wouldn't the most admirable thing be to completely ignore those bands and just go on as usual? "We are deftones, we do what we want and play the music we like - regardless of what others are playing. -we don't give a fuck about those copy cats it's our style."  to constantly be on the guard and change their music because of what shitty bands do -is it really that respectful? why get bothered by little bugs if you are a big rhino? why not do their thing and make that thing better than others, wouldn't that show confidence? yes.. I like the dynamics within the songs, much more than dynamics in an album as a whole like wp with elite and teenager. oh well,people who think wp is their best work won't agree with me because of that, but this is not a question about which album is best, this is about respectful actions or not

Never thought of it like that.

Though, even after White Pony, Chino seemed to want to bring Deftones more and more away from their original sound, (look at self titled, and especially SNW and Diamond Eyes), and at that point, they're comparisons to nu metal didnt even matter anymore regardless because all of those other bands faded out. So its about half and half. In my personal opinion, S/T is the best album (with White Pony a close second). It took all of their strengths and melded it into one extremely original album.

Eros from what we've heard was a step in the right direction, but instead we got Diamond Eyes. (meh)

TheSeeker1080

Quote from: from_musings on Aug 18, 2011, 01:20 PM

I wish that was their attitude on it. I find myself listening to Adrenaline more than any other album of Deftones presently. Additionally most of the other music I currently listen to is from the 90s or very early 2000s. Idk maybe I'm stuck in the past or maybe I'm 'getting older' but I think it's because I miss that style of 90s metal.

One_Weak

Quote from: TheSeeker1080 on Aug 18, 2011, 06:40 PM
I find myself listening to Adrenaline more than any other album of Deftones presently. Additionally most of the other music I currently listen to is from the 90s or very early 2000s. Idk maybe I'm stuck in the past or maybe I'm 'getting older' but I think it's because I miss that style of 90s metal.

same. agreed.
Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

Vesanic

I fucking love the Konami Code.

asshole

I love me some Vinyl.

Follow Me under #Adamogreat
Your Lucky Your Kinda Cute.. Taste Like Juicy Fruit...

from_musings

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 19, 2011, 03:20 PM

hidalgo's anger management / positive thinking program is in the works! and it kicked in fast! sure it's a baby step, but if it continue this way i might hop on it myself

Vesanic

Quote from: from_musings on Aug 20, 2011, 11:32 AM

hidalgo's anger management / positive thinking program is in the works! and it kicked in fast! sure it's a baby step, but if it continue this way i might hop on it myself

Wait... what ?

One_Weak

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 20, 2011, 03:08 PM
Quote from: from_musings on Aug 20, 2011, 11:32 AM

Wait... what ?

I wholly second that.
Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

BillyNo.9

Musings caught himself out.  Could you imagine!  :o

Electron§

Anyone have the feeling that even when Chi wakes up theyre gonna keep Sergio in the band?

from_musings

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 20, 2011, 03:08 PM
Wait... what ?

i don't stop and wait.ever. i move through life at a high speed

from_musings

Quote from: Electron§ on Aug 24, 2011, 08:58 AM
Anyone have the feeling that even when Chi wakes up theyre gonna keep Sergio in the band?

if chi ever wakes up, i find it hard to believe that he wants to live like a rock star again. if he's 100% recovered, the door is probably always open for him, but it was no small accident, if he wakes up, he will probably take it veeery easy and focus on his family.

BigMood

Quote from: Balthazard on Jul 09, 2011, 08:27 AM
Hey
warning random post ahead

so ive been watch Lost lately , like catching up with the whole thing from season one i just have the final episode to watch
and i recall reading somehwere on this board that deftones  or maybe just chino are fans of the show
is that true?  and This place is death is really a reference to Lost ?

anyway probably the best tv show ever

yeah they watched it (mostly together) and I agree, it truly was one of a kind!

watch it

[Part 1] Very cool interview of Chino Moreno for Musiquemag.com 2010 [Sous-titres français]
"Dude, I totally pulled a Chino Moreno on her last night."

kitesvera

Quote from: BigMood on Aug 24, 2011, 10:42 PM
Quote from: Balthazard on Jul 09, 2011, 08:27 AM
Hey
warning random post ahead

so ive been watch Lost lately , like catching up with the whole thing from season one i just have the final episode to watch
and i recall reading somehwere on this board that deftones  or maybe just chino are fans of the show
is that true?  and This place is death is really a reference to Lost ?

anyway probably the best tv show ever

yeah they watched it (mostly together) and I agree, it truly was one of a kind!

watch it

[Part 1] Very cool interview of Chino Moreno for Musiquemag.com 2010 [Sous-titres français]

my boy Eric asked Chino that very question and the answer he got was yes, it is a reference to lost. Chino said thats his favorite TV show.

from_musings

they all dug it. it was one of the first interviews after chi's injury... they were talking about lost. chino and abe's favourite was sawyer and stephens favorite was sayid

One_Weak

anybody know a link to the lyrics for this song? or have it written down? I know like many of their songs, especially from Like Linus, lyrics are pretty open to interpretation, but I can't for the life of me figure out most of what he's singing in this song. I love it, though, it feels so uplifting.

ltdef

I listened to the song, and this seems to be right:

Oh, I try
They can't say I didn't try
I waited by a small child
Oh, Tried to believe her
When she says I'll never love again
I wave my head in shame
In memories
And more

This love, I share
I share it, with you
Drunken
Water, Water

Please stay
I wanna love again
Only
Feeling stuck
Into my shallow public choice
I wave my head in shame
In memories
What for?

This love, I share
I share it, with you
Drunken
Water, Water

Stop sittin' and passin' on everything that I'd ever do
It's not worth to, yeah

I paid the chance rest by you
Oh, tell again

This love, I share
I share it, with you
Drunken
Water, Water
Oh

Stop sittin and passin on everything that I'd ever do
It's not worth to

I made the chance right by you
Oh.. Oh Oh!!
So tired of lettin go
So tired of lettin go and check
So tired of lettin go
I'm so tired
It's so alright
Alright

One_Weak

Quote from: ltdef on Aug 28, 2011, 10:05 AM
I listened to the song, and this seems to be right:

Oh, I try
They can't say I didn't try
I waited by a small child
Oh, Tried to believe her
When she says I'll never love again
I wave my head in shame
In memories
And more

This love, I share
I share it, with you
Drunken
Water, Water

Please stay
I wanna love again
Only
Feeling stuck
Into my shallow public choice
I wave my head in shame
In memories
What for?

This love, I share
I share it, with you
Drunken
Water, Water

Stop sittin' and passin' on everything that I'd ever do
It's not worth to, yeah

I paid the chance rest by you
Oh, tell again

This love, I share
I share it, with you
Drunken
Water, Water
Oh

Stop sittin and passin on everything that I'd ever do
It's not worth to

I made the chance right by you
Oh.. Oh Oh!!
So tired of lettin go
So tired of lettin go and check
So tired of lettin go
I'm so tired
It's so alright
Alright

thanks, that sounds just right!  :)