Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

RIP

Started by There Will Be Blood, Jun 21, 2011, 02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sing blue silver

Quote from: blixa on Jul 25, 2011, 05:48 PM
police didn't find any drugs in her house.

probably because she took them all.

downtownpony

Quote from: poofing acid on Jul 25, 2011, 05:37 PM
Mazzy, how can you say no one tried to help her?  They told her to go to rehab.  She said, "no, no, no."
So she even wrote song about people trying to help her, and she says no. If her songs have anything to do with her real life than I'd say people have been trying to help her. She obviously didn't want any help.

Variable

Quote from: blixa on Jul 25, 2011, 05:15 PM
utter crap. the bigger star you are the more likely you will lose out to addiction

I don't buy that for a single second. There are multitudes of stars that are infinitely bigger than the one-hit-wonder, Amy Winehouse; who never OD or get dragged into a downward-spiral of drug addiction.
I could start a list, I suppose, but it's so long and obvious that it's not even worth going after.

Now, I think I pretty much agree with everything else that you said. Regardless of if people suggested that she go to rehab or whatever, that doesn't mean that anyone really cared or actually tried to help her.

The other simple reality is that an addict wont get rel help until they actually want it. Am I wrong? Or didn't she actually go to rehab, multiple times? I seem to remember a lot of corny jokes about people saying "they told her to go to rehab and she said yes, yes, yes." But just because someone goes to rehab, doesn't mean they got help ( anyone every heard of Scott Weiland? ) But see, Scott mannaged to stay cool while he was addicted, so people aren't blogging about how they hope he dies.

Blixa, my dear, A LOT of people just don't understand what true addiction is. They don't understand that the brain of an addict is literally wired different than the brain of a non-addict ( in the most literal scientific way ). To an addict, getting their drug is not a choice, it becomes a survival instinct just like food and water. Your brain thinks that you HAVE to have it. Its not a choice at that point. So it takes a lot more than a quick pat on the back and "hey you, why don't you go to rehab?" to fix a problem like serious drug addiction.

My point is that there is no need getting mad at people who don't understand these things. Because they don't know, what they don't know. Does that makes sense? I don't want to call them ignorant because I like a lot of them, but it is what it is.

Also, I automatically tune anyone out that gets happy about someones death. It's a human being, that died. But people get caught up in the hype and righteousness of it all, and lose sight that one of their brothers or sisters just died.

pissedandpierced

Apparently her death is due to a cocktail of Cocaine, Heroin and Ketamine,
"It's good to be classic, it kinda shows that we're old" - Chino Moreno, Kerrang! Awards 2007

Variable

Ah, Ketamine. What a bitch. I have been trying to get my hands on some of that for a while now.

poofing acid

K-holes are fun.

Variable

I'll take some please

chick de la lynch

Quote from: Variable on Jul 25, 2011, 11:05 PM
utter crap. the bigger star you are the more likely you will lose out to addiction

Now, I think I pretty much agree with everything else that you said. Regardless of if people suggested that she go to rehab or whatever, that doesn't mean that anyone really cared or actually tried to help her.

The other simple reality is that an addict wont get rel help until they actually want it. Am I wrong? Or didn't she actually go to rehab, multiple times? I seem to remember a lot of corny jokes about people saying "they told her to go to rehab and she said yes, yes, yes." But just because someone goes to rehab, doesn't mean they got help ( anyone every heard of Scott Weiland? ) But see, Scott mannaged to stay cool while he was addicted, so people aren't blogging about how they hope he dies.

Blixa, my dear, A LOT of people just don't understand what true addiction is. They don't understand that the brain of an addict is literally wired different than the brain of a non-addict ( in the most literal scientific way ). To an addict, getting their drug is not a choice, it becomes a survival instinct just like food and water. Your brain thinks that you HAVE to have it. Its not a choice at that point. So it takes a lot more than a quick pat on the back and "hey you, why don't you go to rehab?" to fix a problem like serious drug addiction.

My point is that there is no need getting mad at people who don't understand these things. Because they don't know, what they don't know. Does that makes sense? I don't want to call them ignorant because I like a lot of them, but it is what it is.

Beautifully said. I recently lost a loved one to drug addiction and speaking from my experiences with that I could never, ever try to understand what they went through on a daily basis. An addict's brain is hardwired differently and it is extremely easy to write them off when you don't understand it. I don't want to call these people ignorant, either but unless you're in that situation yourself it is very difficult to understand.

The hardest part is admitting you have a problem without being in denial and it seems as if maybe Amy never got over that hump. You can only help yourself when you admit you need help. Just because someone has the means and resources to go to rehab doesn't necessarily mean they'll get proper treatment or take the program seriously enough to keep up the treatment. And you sure as hell can't drag them there against their will because it goes back to the whole admitting you have a problem. Rehab only gets addicts on the right track--living an every day life is all up to them after that, and for a lot of addicts that can be frightening.

Of course, having your own mother admit to having lost hope years ago does not help either, but being in that position myself I can understand why she would lose hope. Addiction is a horrible disease that affects a lot of people. I'm sympathetic to both sides.

Oldnewtype

the fact that she is such big news and half the people here in america have no idea 80-something kids and young adults were innocently murdered really fuckin pisses me off.

There Will Be Blood

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Jul 26, 2011, 04:39 AM
the fact that she is such big news and half the people here in america have no idea 80-something kids and young adults were innocently murdered really fuckin pisses me off.

thats so sad, I hope that guy rots in hell

poofing acid

You guys talking about Norway?  Or the famine in africa where everyone is starving and mothers are leaving their kids to die on the sides of roads.

There Will Be Blood

everywhere its all sad

Variable

Seriously, NONE of my friends know about what happened in Noway. I even tried to tell some of them (the Christian types that I worry about sometimes) to look it up, and none of them even cared enough to look into it. If it didn't happen in the US, they don't care.
Quote from: chick de la lynch on Jul 26, 2011, 03:23 AM

Beautifully said. I recently lost a loved one to drug addiction and speaking from my experiences with that I could never, ever try to understand what they went through on a daily basis. An addict's brain is hardwired differently and it is extremely easy to write them off when you don't understand it. I don't want to call these people ignorant, either but unless you're in that situation yourself it is very difficult to understand.

The hardest part is admitting you have a problem without being in denial and it seems as if maybe Amy never got over that hump. You can only help yourself when you admit you need help. Just because someone has the means and resources to go to rehab doesn't necessarily mean they'll get proper treatment or take the program seriously enough to keep up the treatment. And you sure as hell can't drag them there against their will because it goes back to the whole admitting you have a problem. Rehab only gets addicts on the right track--living an every day life is all up to them after that, and for a lot of addicts that can be frightening.

Of course, having your own mother admit to having lost hope years ago does not help either, but being in that position myself I can understand why she would lose hope. Addiction is a horrible disease that affects a lot of people. I'm sympathetic to both sides.

One caveat to that whole thing that neither of us mentioned.

MANY addicts completely acknowledge their "problem" but just don't care. Or they like it. Maybe they even realize they are addicted, but don't see it as a problem.

Our society (and I think I can pretty much speak globally here; in general terms) ridiculous. We see addicts as criminals and degenerates instead of sick people. It's really disturbing. I think the reason that most people think like this, is because they were TOLD to think like that. Not because they really ever sat down and tried to understand it, then came up with that conclusion. Probably the same type of non-thinking that led people to believe that black people were not human, women were of inferior to men, and gays shouldn't be able to legally marry. (lol oh shit, that last one is still going on isn't it?)

alvarezbassist17

legalize er'rythang

Variable

spitfire

Quote from: Variable on Jul 26, 2011, 05:54 AM
Seriously, NONE of my friends know about what happened in Noway. I even tried to tell some of them (the Christian types that I worry about sometimes) to look it up, and none of them even cared enough to look into it. If it didn't happen in the US, they don't care.
Internet hasn't arrived to your friends houses?

Variable

Just because people have the internet, doesn't mean they read news stories.

spitfire

Quote from: Variable on Jul 26, 2011, 06:36 AM
Just because people have the internet, doesn't mean they read news stories.
that a fact right there.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Variable on Jul 26, 2011, 05:54 AM
This pisses me off as well. I know we've got a debt crisis over here, but normally when an act of terror occurs our media goes into a frenzy. today it was just thrown in there with a Winehouse story and the NFL lockout in the back half of the news.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

blixa

I don't buy that for a single second. There are multitudes of stars that are infinitely bigger than the one-hit-wonder, Amy Winehouse; who never OD or get dragged into a downward-spiral of drug addiction.
I could start a list, I suppose, but it's so long and obvious that it's not even worth going after.

Also, I automatically tune anyone out that gets happy about someones death. It's a human being, that died. But people get caught up in the hype and righteousness of it all, and lose sight that one of their brothers or sisters just died.

i think having your struggle with addiction played out constantly in the media is a lot worse than suffering and dealing with addiction in private. in my personal opinion, amy winehouse was a person who was slowly descending into an abyss that she was not going to surface from, but her death was still a shock to me. i just...cannot stand the ignorance of some people in regards to her death. they make crude jokes about it and say she got what she deserved. i cannot come to terms with that. drug addiction is a big problem in our society and this very cold attitude that some people have towards addicts helps no one.

these are the same people who can have sympathy for a person who bets their house at the pokies and loses everything but not for a person who had another form of addiction and lost their life.