Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sicario

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 14, 2020, 05:45 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 14, 2020, 05:17 PM
Ohms will be a balance of heavy and melodic just like all Deftones albums. Even if Chino doesn't scream on a particular song, Stephen will still likely bring a heavy riff. That's kind of their thing.

Of course. But theres a slightly different "magic" that was more present on some albums than others i think and im hoping i can identify that this time around

I think having Terry back will help take care of that
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

Sleeping_Giant

Ohms will be a balance of heavy and melodic just like all Deftones albums. Even if Chino doesn't scream on a particular song, Stephen will still likely bring a heavy riff. That's kind of their thing.

Of course. But theres a slightly different "magic" that was more present on some albums than others i think and im hoping i can identify that this time around

I saw the same comments right before KNY/Gore were dropped   8)

Gore had really impresive reviews before the release, so this place was mad. I think this time it's different.

Visionz

Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Sep 14, 2020, 05:50 PM

Gore had really impresive reviews before the release, so this place was mad. I think this time it's different.

Me too

Yossarian

There are people considering Gore an impressive album  8)
"Something in our music that has a little provocative kind of vibe to it. And I feel like that exists in our music for some reason. I don't know where it comes from."

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Yossarian on Sep 14, 2020, 07:43 PM

According to Metacritic, it's their second highest rated album after KNY. In fact, their three highest rated albums according to Metacritic are their last three releases. Everyone put your own personal opinions on these albums relative to the rest of their discography aside for a moment, lets all just appreciate how impressive that is for a band as old as Deftones.

In any case, Gore impressed a lot of people out there. It's not popular among longer time Deftones fans because it's so different compared to the rest of their work, but believe it or not I've spoken to lots of people who love the album, or only know that album from Deftones, or told me it was the album that got them into Deftones, etc. This is mostly coming from the younger Millennial and older Gen Z "pretentious music fan" crowd. So keep in mind, Gore wasn't universally reviled, even though it may seem this way in our own personal circles.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

mandalay

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Sep 14, 2020, 09:15 PM
Quote from: Yossarian on Sep 14, 2020, 07:43 PM

According to Metacritic, it's their second highest rated album after KNY. In fact, their three highest rated albums according to Metacritic are their last three releases. Everyone put your own personal opinions on these albums relative to the rest of their discography aside for a moment, lets all just appreciate how impressive that is for a band as old as Deftones.

In any case, Gore impressed a lot of people out there. It's not popular among longer time Deftones fans because it's so different compared to the rest of their work, but believe it or not I've spoken to lots of people who love the album, or only know that album from Deftones, or told me it was the album that got them into Deftones, etc. This is mostly coming from the younger Millennial and older Gen Z "pretentious music fan" crowd. So keep in mind, Gore wasn't universally reviled, even though it may seem this way in our own personal circles.
There are a few reasons to not place a lot of weight into Metacritic scores of the albums: 1.) their scores are weighted averages with more weight given to certain reviewers, so it's not a true average score, 2.) Deftones, in outlasting their peers and maintaining credibility, have achieved far more respect from the critic community for a variety reasons beyond the output of their music, which in turn shapes the reception of their albums by critics (see also Mogwai, Twilight Singers, etc.), and 3.) far more reviews exist today thanks to the internet than during their earlier era, which again create an apples/oranges scenario that precludes a fair comparison of Metacritic scores, especially between works spread across multiple decades.  It's intellectually dishonest to say the scores can be compared in any raw way from Metacritic without adjusting and normalizing the data to account for these factors.  And beyond all of this the fact that Gore is an "81" compared to "72" for White Pony should tell you all you need regarding the reliability of these scores and how they relate to the artistic value of the underlying work.

Draken

yeah popular opinion stinks I don't listen to it.

In any event, Deftones have released an Ohms photo filter lol. #OhmsEyes

LG95

Metacritic isn't exhaustive either. The WP score is missing the original five star Kerrang review for example.
I could float here forever

ireallywish

Yeah, it's tough to get a good read from those review aggregate sites. But most people I know that like Deftones really dig Gore (and SNW for that matter). It wasn't until I started coming here and other music forums that I had any idea people didn't dig those as much.

Vesanic

Draken

LG95

"And on the Friday, Deftones did release Genesis. And they saw that it was good."

Draken

"And God said: let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the OG Kush, and we thus smoked it."

LG95

"And the Lord said to Stephen, "The earth you stand on is holy ground. It's also flat, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.""

Big Boss

Can Genesis do anything other than disappoint me? The hype is so high. Can it be that good? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :P

LG95

No song is that great if you hype it up too much beforehand. So don't do so.

Big Boss

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 14, 2020, 11:31 PM

Fair enough. I don't honestly have many expectations. I mean. What should I expect? It's gonna be a new Deftones song. I'll see how it sounds Friday. For all of you heathens who heard the song early. Lucky you!

Visionz

Not lucky IMO. Im older now and been rollin w this band for 22 yrs waiting for the next one since then. Listened to leaks every time. Its this time that i truly feel good about the wait. U should to. If not, all good then 8)

buflen

Quote from: Big Boss on Sep 14, 2020, 11:37 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 14, 2020, 11:31 PM

Fair enough. I don't honestly have many expectations. I mean. What should I expect? It's gonna be a new Deftones song. I'll see how it sounds Friday. For all of you heathens who heard the song early. Lucky you!
you should feel lucky to not have heard it in terrible quality.

DenakDW

I was feeling a lil bit mad cuz i listened to those leaks, but the last two days ive started to play genesis over and over, and everytime makes more excited for friday. I know it' ll sound brutal and huge.
And all the days I've missed you 🍂