Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drop-Dead

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 28, 2020, 08:08 PM
The Spell of Mathematics simply is one of their best songs. I kinda hate to say things like that but seriously. What a composition. The 9-string rhythm is such a cool move. It's also amazing how they're able to use such heavy tools and still come up with a somewhat smooth song, in all its sonic power.

I've read a no to Urantia from you and now yes to TSOM, are we the only ones with JBL's?   ;D

Vesanic

Listened to the album twice, first time through a fairly solid pair of earpieces, second time through a small Anker sound system.

I don't really care to consume my music through a Bose X454546SSWREIK with jetpack propulsion-based bass booster. Okay, I sound like a dick, but better quality playing doesn't have much of an impact on my opinions I gotta say. I don't feel Urantia at all.

Vesanic

I did a song-by-song posting series on the DeftonesLive FB to help promote the album.

For what it's worth, the songs that won the like battle (by a landslide) were "Ceremony", "The Spell of Mathematics" and "This Link is Dead", with 2k+ each. Only "Error" contended a bit, with over 1k+. "The Spell of Mathematics" has got the most likes out of them all.

I'm not counting the likes that "Genesis" and "Ohms" got through the many posts I made of those before that series.

LG95

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 28, 2020, 08:28 PM
I did a song-by-song posting series on the DeftonesLive FB to help promote the album.
You need a job with their PR, dude.
I could float here forever

Vesanic

The Deftones job I'd like is footage archivist, but hey that'd be cool.  ;D

LG95

Double pay for the dual role mate lol
I could float here forever

Draken

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 28, 2020, 08:06 PM
Why? The title track became a favourite of mine after the album release.

Why what? I'm looking at the poll and the title track has 2 votes, Genesis has 5. If we had heard Genesis on release it'd easily be competing with TSOM.

The Spell of Mathematics simply is one of their best songs. I kinda hate to say things like that but seriously. What a composition. The 9-string rhythm is such a cool move. It's also amazing how they're able to use such heavy tools and still come up with a somewhat smooth song, in all its sonic power.

Sir I agree

only pieces remain

Imo, Ohms is a damn good track but not a good pick for a single at all. Ruins the album experience, at least for me. Ironically, even though it's one of my least fav tracks, I think urantia would been the best choice for the first single. Heavy riff track with catchy vocal melody that isn't the closer. Genesis is fine as the second single I think.

Drop-Dead

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 28, 2020, 08:22 PM
Listened to the album twice, first time through a fairly solid pair of earpieces, second time through a small Anker sound system.

I don't really care to consume my music through a Bose X454546SSWREIK with jetpack propulsion-based bass booster. Okay, I sound like a dick, but better quality playing doesn't have much of an impact on my opinions I gotta say. I don't feel Urantia at all.

It was funny. never thought we would be on the same page about the new songs. Anyways I think TSOM is not a Deftones song, it's a new Deftones song. It's like TSOM is their new road to some kind of TDSOTM (The Dark Side of the Moon), how weird is that?! I think the band will take a new progressive/gaze/experientialism approach in new albums with some Urantias here and there.

Vesanic

I feel that too. And as for your Pink Floyd reference, the beginning of Headless with that "ambient" and Chino's faded shouts really reminded of some Pink Floyd.

Drop-Dead

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 28, 2020, 09:24 PM
I feel that too. And as for your Pink Floyd reference, the beginning of Headless with that "ambient" and Chino's faded shouts really reminded of some Pink Floyd.

Weird is that I don't recall them talking about PF in recent interviews. It's like an unconsciouness influence.

Matthewtheloser

Quote from: Drop-Dead on Sep 28, 2020, 09:31 PM

Weird is that I don't recall them talking about PF in recent interviews. It's like an unconsciouness influence.
Chino actually mentioned Floyd in the Daniel P Carter stream someone posted a page or two ago.

Drop-Dead

Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Sep 28, 2020, 09:39 PM

Chino actually mentioned Floyd in the Daniel P Carter stream someone posted a page or two ago.

That was weird. I was midthrough it and yes he comes with PF in the conversation. It was about Pompeji I think... and the seagulls/transitions. That was timing!

Visionz

God the second half especially of error is just heavenly. I dig it more and more every time I hear it really the whole album in that case. And then how it blends in to spell.damn that is the Deftones I love and can't wait to share with my children

Far away

Draken

Quote from: Drop-Dead on Sep 28, 2020, 09:49 PM

That was weird. I was midthrough it and yes he comes with PF in the conversation. It was about Pompeji I think... and the seagulls/transitions. That was timing!

"I love transitions. If you're making a record these days, everything's so single driven. If you're gonna make a record that's a piece of music—and it's not a conceptual piece of music, but the fact that every song can sort of transition to one another, when things like that happen; that takes me back to some of my favorite records of all-time, be it Pink Floyd or whatever..."  There's also mentions of "Floydian moments"

Chino on the making of the record @ 1:38:56

Drop-Dead

Quote from: Draken on Sep 28, 2020, 09:55 PM

"I love transitions. If you're making a record these days, everything's so single driven. If you're gonna make a record that's a piece of music—and it's not a conceptual piece of music, but the fact that every song can sort of transition to one another, when things like that happen; that takes me back to some of my favorite records of all-time, be it Pink Floyd or whatever..."

there u go!

Nice avatar/sig man ;)

Draken

Quote from: Drop-Dead on Sep 28, 2020, 09:59 PM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 28, 2020, 09:55 PM

"I love transitions. If you're making a record these days, everything's so single driven. If you're gonna make a record that's a piece of music—and it's not a conceptual piece of music, but the fact that every song can sort of transition to one another, when things like that happen; that takes me back to some of my favorite records of all-time, be it Pink Floyd or whatever..."

there u go!

Nice avatar/sig man ;)

Thanks! I drew the avatar myself. I did one of Chi, which I'll have to post at some point.

Jesus2Chino

Yeah, luckily I didn't listen to the singles before the album dropped, so I'm not taken out of the experience when they play on the record. That being said, I did have an internal debate after the first two listens if Headless and Ohms should have been switched in the track lineup, but I think they definitely made the right call with Ohms as the closer; I'm not sure I'd feel that way if I had listened to the track a lot out of context of the album though.
Much respect,
-Matt

Visionz

Wasnt the first time i heard him or Abe mention PF. I wanna say during the KNY cycle..... about the intro to Rosemary. I THINK it was abt that anyways