Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Snow

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 02, 2020, 11:30 AM
Chino specifically said  that "i reject both sides of what I'm being told" was about politics. But i guess you as a listener could make up whatever meaning u want

lol really? source?

from_musings

Quote from: Capt Snow on Oct 02, 2020, 11:43 AM
Chino specifically said  that "i reject both sides of what I'm being told" was about politics. But i guess you as a listener could make up whatever meaning u want

lol really? source?

New album out and u dont listen to the interviews? Lol

Capt Snow

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 02, 2020, 11:47 AM

lol really? source?

lol no i just lurk here like a real fan

from_musings

Quote from: Capt Snow on Oct 02, 2020, 12:06 PM

lol really? source?

lol no i just lurk here like a real fan

i understand, but don't question shit when you don't know shit. lurkers shouldn't use such a high tail carriage when walking around here  ;D

from_musings

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Oct 02, 2020, 01:18 PM
cringe

yeah 14 year old girls use that word about everything nowadays.

Quote from: nineteen on Sep 29, 2020, 11:58 AM
Still struggling a bit with Radiant City but I'm sure I'll come round to it.... I equally love and hate the main riff at the same time.

agree. sadly it didn't grow on me, it became annoying in the end

mandalay

Quote from: ws198x on Oct 02, 2020, 09:33 AM
Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 02, 2020, 04:31 AM
Figure we will see the Week 1 Album sales soon. Sure would be great to see Ohms at #1. Gonna be tough to beat Underwood maybe even MGK. Gotta figure they move at least 75,000 units?

Hey! First time, long time checking in, (sort of.) I had an account back in the day. Drop Dead's avatar used to be Rey from Tinfed, I think.

I'm a big nut for record sales. I have a topic going on the Deftones subreddit that is getting zero traction, which like who cares.

Anyways, I projected the record to do 40,000-45,000 units and a #6 debut.  Projections are currently showing 28-30,000 with it clocking in at #11.

https://m.hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=323391&title=YOUR-TOP-20-IS-FULLY-LOADED

A lot of reasons this happened. Amazon & Target had shipment issues via Warner. Also this band has an older fan base. So there's a lot casuals who dropped off. Ticket bundling was halted at the beginning of the year. The older fan base also might not be walking into record stores as much these days. And while they did more marketing than usual, the reality is that they're a legacy act with a fan base whose median age is probably 37. A lot of moms & dads who probably moved on.

Reviews matter and the two publications that cater to 30 & under, ( The Needle Drop & Pitchfork), gave middling to bad reviews of Ohms.

FWIW, I gave it an 86 myself, with the top songs being TSOM, Pompeji, & Radiant City. If y'all want to read it and roast me, check it here:

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/user/ws198x/album/272235-ohms/

Glad this place still exists.
I went to 2 Best Buys and 2 Targets before I could find the CD on its release not day - and not because it was sold out.  Big box stores barely stock CDs these days, and the small shops are closed due to COVID.  I didn't want Spotify to be my first taste of the record.  I tend to agree with Fantano's review, except he was too kind to the second half of the record.   Just because he doesn't care for something that you like, does not mean his opinion is any more or less valid than yours. 

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: pannch on Oct 02, 2020, 09:01 AM
Quote from: Gaz on Oct 02, 2020, 08:55 AM
Quote from: pannch on Oct 02, 2020, 08:48 AM
Quote from: Gaz on Oct 02, 2020, 08:04 AM
Quote from: LG95 on Oct 02, 2020, 07:01 AM
I don't actually mean this as a dig but I don't consider what he does to be 'music criticism'. It's not engaged enough beyond his instinctive, subjective reaction to the sounds. That's fine for what it is but I find his presentation muddled in terms of subjective/objective (I know it's hard to straddle between those two but he tries to have his cake and eat it to the point that the "You know this is just my opinion" line just seems like a cop-out), and because it's not engaged enough, he inevitably misrepresents intention and tone; for example, I don't think he's necessarily wrong about the meaning of that Genesis lyric but he clearly caricatures the tone and so fails to understand it.

Honestly, I find his whole thing very dull. Even to try and disagree with his opinion seems to be lending it more than it's worth. I care as much about him giving it a 3 as I would have done had he given it a 10. Complete indifference.

Guy just does it to get likes/views etc. typical new age prick

Lol that's absolutely false; I think he doesn't give a damn abt likes/views. If that was the case, he could've given Ohms a positive review. Have you seen the like/dislike ratio of that review ? It contradicts what you're saying...

Are you him?

Of course he gives negative reviews to get reactions, I don't get why so many people have a hard on for this bloke

No I am not him. I don't get a hard on for him, but I at least appreciate him covering artists across genres, whom I may or may not ever hear, I haven't seen other reviewers do it tbh.

And I may sound biased, but what you're saying just doesn't make sense. He ain't a new boy in town trying to rack up likes and comments for popularity, he has been in the game for quite some time.

Dislikes are as impactful as likes are on the YouTube algorithm. "Hot takes," in some cases, even generate more traffic and more revenue than the consensus opinion.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Visionz

Quote from: Capt Snow on Oct 02, 2020, 08:21 AM
this forum seething rn over horseface fandango

He sure is getting all the attention of the people here bitching about him. Who gives a fucking shit? Seriously. The record is good, and everyone here who likes it swears they dont care for or respect his opinion but it seems otherwise. Fuck this guy in the face already

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 02, 2020, 02:06 PM

He sure is getting all the attention of the people here bitching about him. Who gives a fucking shit? Seriously. The record is good, and everyone here who likes it swears they dont care for or respect his opinion but it seems otherwise. Fuck this guy in the face already

I "don't care" about his opinion, in the sense that his opinion won't impact mine. However, I recognize that his opinion can and does impact others, whether they will seek out the album or the band in general, how they will view the album, whether they will spend money on the album, or tickets to see the band, or merchandise, etc.

I'm not broken up about what Melon said, but I had hoped he would look more favorably upon Ohms than this, particularly knowing his love for SNW (considering I find many striking similarities between SNW and Ohms). I care about what popular music critics say because I love the band and want them to experience as much success as possible, not because what they say will impact how I feel.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Visionz

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Oct 02, 2020, 02:13 PM

I "don't care" about his opinion, in the sense that his opinion won't impact mine. However, I recognize that his opinion can and does impact others, whether they will seek out the album or the band in general, how they will view the album, whether they will spend money on the album, or tickets to see the band, or merchandise, etc.

I'm not broken up about what Melon said, but I had hoped he would look more favorably upon Ohms than this, particularly knowing his love for SNW (considering I find many striking similarities between SNW and Ohms). I care about what popular music critics say because I love the band and want them to experience as much success as possible, not because what they say will impact how I feel.

I agree and well said. But.... at the end of the day, it just pisses u off and theres nothing anyone can do to change his opinion of the band or any album. I guess that bc i checked in to yap about Ohms on this thread i got a little irritated to read over n over about a guy nobody here likes. And then arguing over him. Hes a turd. Doesnt deserve all this ;)

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 02, 2020, 02:17 PM

I agree and well said. But.... at the end of the day, it just pisses u off and theres nothing anyone can do to change his opinion of the band or any album. I guess that bc i checked in to yap about Ohms on this thread i got a little irritated to read over n over about a guy nobody here likes. And then arguing over him. Hes a turd. Doesnt deserve all this ;)

I actually don't mind him most times, he is pretty entertaining. I just disagree with him often.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Gaz

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 02, 2020, 02:17 PM

THIS!

nineteen

Think it's more the score he gave - 3/10? Really?!

Just a bit silly really. Although his reviews certainly spark discussion.

from_musings

give this guy a sticky thread already, mods?

Crisp X

lol really? source?

I've read / listened to every one and missed that part. Which one was it?

from_musings

Quote from: Crisp X on Oct 02, 2020, 02:46 PM

lol really? source?

clearly you haven't, but i will spoonfee, i mean post it for you later

Crisp X

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 02, 2020, 02:55 PM
Quote from: Crisp X on Oct 02, 2020, 02:46 PM

lol really? source?

clearly you haven't, but i will spoonfee, i mean post it for you later
Weirdly douchey and passive aggressive response to a simple question, but okay... thanks?

from_musings

Weirdly whiney and butthurtly comment to a simple answer, but okay...welcome to the board, i guess?

Vesanic