Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMLiberator

Well, if we're counting Black Stallion, then that's just a couple months away  :)
i'm confused??

N0S3BLEED976

The harmonizing oooohs in Urantias chorus are so beautiful. Oh and Abes snares sound like fucking gunshots. Ceremony, Spell, Error are also instant top-tier songs

Gaz

After so many listens, the weakest track for me is TLID, maybe in time it will click with me. It's such a great album that feels like a mix of S/T, KNY and SNW

A return to form!

IN WAVES

I voted for Radiant City, but I honestly didn't know which one to vote for. They are all so good.

Yossarian

Quote from: laurapalmer on Sep 26, 2020, 03:39 AM
Somewhat surprised that I'm the only vote for Headless

Make that two
"Something in our music that has a little provocative kind of vibe to it. And I feel like that exists in our music for some reason. I don't know where it comes from."

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Gaz on Sep 26, 2020, 08:45 AM
After so many listens, the weakest track for me is TLID, maybe in time it will click with me. It's such a great album that feels like a mix of S/T, KNY and SNW

A return to form!

There's a lot of Gore on Ohms, too. Lyrically and aesthetically it reminds me a lot of their best ideas from Gore. There are some parallels between Pittura Infamante and Pompeji, Xenon and Error, Acid Hologram and Spell

secretbandinsider

The pre chorus of Radiant City gives me such ATF vibes

Sleeping_Giant

Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 26, 2020, 06:34 AM
Well, if we're counting Black Stallion, then that's just a couple months away  :)

BS should be out in November (according to Chino).

Shells

Still no sign of uk preorder shipping  :'(

imbrie

Quote from: Shells on Sep 26, 2020, 11:35 AM
Still no sign of uk preorder shipping  :'(

Yeah, for me neither. Ended up up buying it in FLAC so that I at least had the music but would like to check out the liner notes etc.

Sunbath

First listen: bummed out, didn't really understand what I just heard. No instant earworms. Some parts of the songs and riffs felt even out of their place. Thought that maybe Gore had better songs like Phantom & Hearts/Wires for example. But the problem was actually me and my expectations.

After 4th listen: to me this is now album of the year, maybe even album of the last few years, but definitely album of their entire career. #1. Period. My previous favorite was SNW or S/T.

It's incredible that on their 9th record they're able to flip the script with a this kind of a masterpiece. This one is musically on a new level. Even if Stef went for 9 string guitar he plays more in the higher register than in a last decade which is where I feel his creativity shines. Playing from lower register is actually harmonically more limited. Frank also stepped up in a major way on this one. It almost feels like he stood up and took a place of Chino's guitar.

Every song is a trip in itself and every left turn that first felt weird is now just as it should be and feels natural. Ohms makes perfect sense as a last track (and I also totally understand why it was the first single). It kinda releases the tension that the arch of the album has. Also when the Genesis video dropped it was a letdown after Ohms video but now it makes perfect sense when you look at that visual playlist as a cohesive work of art. This album has layers behind layers.

Long live OHMS!

secretbandinsider

Quote from: Sunbath on Sep 26, 2020, 11:59 AM
First listen: bummed out, didn't really understand what I just heard. No instant earworms. Some parts of the songs and riffs felt even out of their place.

I had the same experience the first time, I felt complete apathy towards most of the record. It took like 3 listens to comprehend what I just heard.

moskwality

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 26, 2020, 12:25 PM
First listen: bummed out, didn't really understand what I just heard. No instant earworms. Some parts of the songs and riffs felt even out of their place.

I had the same experience the first time, I felt complete apathy towards most of the record. It took like 3 listens to comprehend what I just heard.

100% agree

buflen

The only vocal melody I'm not completely sold on yet on the album is when chino sings "Useless" in Headless.
But this might become my #2 favorite deftones album just after White Pony.

Capt Snow

Quote from: moskwality on Sep 26, 2020, 01:15 PM

100% agree

Lol the album completely clicked with me on first listen.

Am I a smoothbrain or something?  :o

OnyxPanicProne

Quote from: Capt Snow on Sep 26, 2020, 02:42 PM
Quote from: moskwality on Sep 26, 2020, 01:15 PM

100% agree

Lol the album completely clicked with me on first listen.

Am I a smoothbrain or something?  :o
I won't say it completely clicked first listen but I was vibing hard with the majority of it. For some reason I still can't click with Error. It's probably my short attention span.

nineteen

After several listens the only thing I can't connect with when listening to the album as a whole is how Radiant City starts. After The Link Is Dead it's suddenly bap do bapbo bap bap baaapp super flap bassy bass and it doesn't feel right to me.

Works well in the track and the rest of the song is great - just feel a different intro would work better for me personally (maybe modelled on a different part of the song first or something).

Fuzzheadup

Headless is completely the standout for me.

The melody on 'Your attempt is useless' is as haunting as they've ever done.

secretbandinsider

I'm never getting over TSOM. Feels like my soul is leaving my body.

mono

Quote from: Fuzzheadup on Sep 26, 2020, 03:38 PM
Headless is completely the standout for me.

The melody on 'Your attempt is useless' is as haunting as they've ever done.

Completely agree! After a few listens, catches me a lot