Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mono

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 26, 2020, 02:59 PM
Quote from: Shells on Sep 26, 2020, 02:35 PM
Still no sign of uk preorder shipping  :'(

Yeah, for me neither. Ended up up buying it in FLAC so that I at least had the music but would like to check out the liner notes etc.

Got the shipping confirmation of the cassette bundle, but it's international shipping (tracked), and they don't include the tracking number in the details LOL

Inkblades

Quote from: Gaz on Sep 26, 2020, 11:45 AM
After so many listens, the weakest track for me is TLID, maybe in time it will click with me. It's such a great album that feels like a mix of S/T, KNY and SNW

A return to form!

I think it's a song you have to be in a certain mood for. If you're not feeling angsty, it's not going to do much for you. There's a lot of elements on the song that are great - the chorus, the synths, the outro riffs - but the verses just go on a little too long for me.

Seen a lot of raving about the second half of Error which is great but the first part has some of Stephen's best riffs on the album IMO. That guitar tone is pure insanity.

LG95

Different songs stick out every time I listen to this record. I think every song has been in my three favourites at some point after a full album listen.

White Pony and Around The Fur are my two favourite Deftones records. I hold them in such high regard; they're flawless rock albums. I think Ohms might well be their next best after those two.

What a band.
I could float here forever

Gaz

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 26, 2020, 07:03 PM
Quote from: Gaz on Sep 26, 2020, 11:45 AM
After so many listens, the weakest track for me is TLID, maybe in time it will click with me. It's such a great album that feels like a mix of S/T, KNY and SNW

A return to form!

I think it's a song you have to be in a certain mood for. If you're not feeling angsty, it's not going to do much for you. There's a lot of elements on the song that are great - the chorus, the synths, the outro riffs - but the verses just go on a little too long for me.

Seen a lot of raving about the second half of Error which is great but the first part has some of Stephen's best riffs on the album IMO. That guitar tone is pure insanity.

True, I like a lot of heavy music, but these days I need to be in the mood for it for sure, it will click with me eventually!

Fuzzheadup

Abe absolutely rips through the whole thing too. Definitely the best performance he's put down on an album IMO.

rainnyx4

Pompeji is without a doubt the worst song on here. Dig the intro and verses with Chino's guitar, the synths and seagulls, but as soon as Steph's guitar kicks in it sounds like the same kind of boring Gore shit. Chino's vocals during the heavy parts and the chorus are also awful. Probably the worst delivery he's ever given, though SNW at parts was pretty bad too.

Definitely tracks 2-5 is where the best stuff lies. Ceremony and Urantia could've been a bit better if they'd made a few different decisions, but they're fine songs as they are and there's a lot of great stuff on these. Error has the best melodies on here and I think is becoming my favorite Ohms track, despite the Korn sounding verse. TSPOM is the best heavy stuff on here and is the only time I really feel like Steph's lower register adds something valuable. Don't know why everyone is shitting on the snaps and Sergio's vocals at the end. It's good stuff.

This Link is Dead sounds like a less impactful WGTB. Love the main riff of Radiant City but the rest of the song is kind of boring. Pre-chorus sounds like a ripoff of Prince (which itself is derivative of RX Queen). Wish this one had been developed more because that verse riff is so fun. Headless had a lot of potential but I keep hearing Risk during the verse with Steph's guitar, making it feel derivative too. Best part is the little jangly guitar, bass, and drums during the bridge. Wish this one had leaned into that vibe and just gone full on The Cure.

Steph and maybe Terry Date are the limiting agents here. Dude needs to go back to the 8-string at least, smoke a little less weed, and be a little more ambitious. Terry Date records them pretty well, but they need someone who can push back on some of their decisions, motivate them, and guide them in the right direction.

Overall, the album isn't a complete shit show to the point where I think they should just hang it up. It's almost certainly in their bottom three of albums but the songs overall sound more cohesive and collaborative than Gore which is positive and there's enough experimentation on here with the synths and song structures to make me think that they can still do great stuff in the future.

Top tier: Adrenaline, WP, KNY
Mid tier: ATF, SNW, DE
Bottom tier: S/T, Gore, Ohms

LG95

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 26, 2020, 08:26 PM
Overall, the album isn't a complete shit show to the point where I think they should just hang it up.
Your lack of self-awareness is a joy to behold.

rainnyx4

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 26, 2020, 08:41 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 26, 2020, 08:26 PM
Overall, the album isn't a complete shit show to the point where I think they should just hang it up.
Your lack of self-awareness is a joy to behold.

LOL, unpack that a little.

nicklav

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 26, 2020, 06:45 PM
I'm never getting over TSOM. Feels like my soul is leaving my body.

I feel the same way.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Guys, I don't even know what to do about this LP. Right now, I've just barely finished listening to the whole thing start to finish. My "first listen" plans were obliterated by "circumstance" let's say.

Now that I've heard every song, there's only one track that is giving me trouble. The rest of this album is basically murdering me with Fuck-Yes-ery.

I'm feeling incredibly satisfied and before I had gotten all the way through it I was starting to fear I wasn't going to be happy with it at all. Now that I've completed it, I can't believe I was worried. Each song has one to five different motifs that are phenomenal about it.

Yeah, even the weak track is managing to grow on me with every listen. That song is "Urantia"

Inkblades

How I'm feeling right now:

1. White Pony
2. Around the Fur
3. Deftones
4. Ohms
5. Diamond Eyes
6. Tie: Saturday Night Wrist/Gore
7. Adrenaline
8. Koi No Yokan

I was kind of hoping Ohms would enter my top three because I don't want to be that guy stuck in his youth who goes on and on about their old stuff forever but it's still how I feel. Part of it is probably just my age - you're not going to be as blown away by stuff in your 30's like when you were a teen. Also I've had a headache for the last couple days which is unfortunately kind of tampering with my enjoyment of the music. Fourth place is a good spot - I could see it taking S/T's spot in time, but WP and ATF will probably always lock down the top 2 for me.

I am feeling like it's the most consistent work of the Sergio albums right now - however, that feeling could change. When it's all said and done, Genesis is a top 10 Deftones song for me and it's pretty impressive they can still move me this far in their career.

I kept making comparisons to Radiohead's albums on here and wondered if Ohms would be their Kid A. I'm not flatout blown away by Ohms as I was by Kid A all those years ago, but it might still be their most comparable album to it - not in sound, but due to the fact that it's one of their more challenging albums.

from_musings

The heavy screamy parts of Spell of Mathematics reminds me a lot of the voire dire record by will heaven.drony dramatic synths to a massive murky guitar and angst ridden screams, pretty tense. I like all the parts though,the song is very good as a whole.

Visionz

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 26, 2020, 10:22 PM
The heavy screamy parts of Spell of Mathematics reminds me a lot of the voire dire record by will heaven.drony dramatic synths to a massive murky guitar and angst ridden screams, pretty tense. I like all the parts though,the song is very good as a whole.

I wiuld also say WillHaven is influenced by these guys in a way or too, would you?

LG95

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 26, 2020, 09:54 PM
I kept making comparisons to Radiohead's albums on here and wondered if Ohms would be their Kid A. I'm not flatout blown away by Ohms as I was by Kid A all those years ago, but it might still be their most comparable album to it - not in sound, but due to the fact that it's one of their more challenging albums.
I think if there's a Kid A, it's White Pony. It's easy to make a connection with The Bends and Around The Fur, and subsequently Ok Computer and White Pony (in terms of their individual discographies, not that they sound anything alike) but if we're treating Kid A as the most transformative Radiohead album I'd say White Pony is the comparison, although Kid A is much more different to Ok Computer than White Pony is to Around The Fur.

Ohms has some new elements and a slightly different dynamic in terms of how Deftones albums usually work and are sequenced, but also brings past records and sounds together. In that sense, I'd maybe compare it to A Moon Shaped Pool?

from_musings

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 26, 2020, 10:31 PM

I wiuld also say WillHaven is influenced by these guys in a way or too, would you?

yes. and i would guess will haven would be the first ones to tell you that. they influence each other

LG95

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 26, 2020, 10:31 PM

That Sacramento 'scene' of Will Haven, Deftones and Far were all influencing each other.

Vesanic

The switch at 2:47 in Headless is so... unexpected, I have an issue with it.

Far away

Everyones entitled to their own opinions and thats the beauty of things (most of the time, at least), but the amount of different takes and perspectives about the same subject (the band, their discography, etc) never ceases to surprise me.

I wont be that guy judging other peoples list, order of prefferences and shit, but man... theres a LOT of different takes in here.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 26, 2020, 11:13 PM
The switch at 2:47 in Headless is so... unexpected, I have an issue with it.

Funny. Every time I thought Headless was going to go off the rails and disappoint me with a stupid melodic turn or a redundant rhythmic feel that would have made it boring, it always took the better turn and surprised the hell out of me to my delight. Multiple passages felt like they were going to take the goodness away but what really happened was it continued getting better.

Inkblades

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 26, 2020, 10:37 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 26, 2020, 09:54 PM
I think if there's a Kid A, it's White Pony. It's easy to make a connection with The Bends and Around The Fur, and subsequently Ok Computer and White Pony (in terms of their individual discographies, not that they sound anything alike) but if we're treating Kid A as the most transformative Radiohead album I'd say White Pony is the comparison, although Kid A is much more different to Ok Computer than White Pony is to Around The Fur.

Ohms has some new elements and a slightly different dynamic in terms of how Deftones albums usually work and are sequenced, but also brings past records and sounds together. In that sense, I'd maybe compare it to A Moon Shaped Pool?

Yeah, A Moon Shaped Pool might be a better comparison. Not my favorite Radiohead album, but it is pretty good.

Quote from: Far away on Sep 26, 2020, 11:13 PM
Everyones entitled to their own opinions and thats the beauty of things (most of the time, at least), but the amount of different takes and perspectives about the same subject (the band, their discography, etc) never ceases to surprise me.

I wont be that guy judging other peoples list, order of prefferences and shit, but man... theres a LOT of different takes in here.

That's really the beauty of the band. We all have different takes on what Ohms songs are the best, what albums are the best, etc. - goes without saying that it speaks to their greatness.