Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Far away

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 27, 2020, 08:25 PM
Quote from: Far away on Sep 27, 2020, 08:22 PM
Are (some) people complaining about the lack of complexity in a Deftones song? Really?
Stef is not Steve Vai or Kirk Hammet. They have plenty of amazing songs that have like 3 chords, yet, they are very dinamic and have their fingerprint all over it. Why start complaining now? Its not like hes going to, suddenly, start playing complex shit.

Ignore em, its easy. Plenty of good conversation otherwise.. the musicians cant help themselves i guess

Yes, they have a good amount of songs using the same notes/chords/harmonics rearranged in a different order or whatever. Still, most of their songs do not sound the same, at all. Maybe a couple.

A bunch of 'Im a weekend musician so they should do this, or that, to make the song better', really pisses me off.

Get over it.

Seems like they want to find a reason to not like it. Ok, I guess. Its not like they HAVE to like it.
But, what I just find very odd is the fact they want something Deftones usually never do. Complex shit. And by complex, I mean riff wise. They might have some, but c'mon.

Sunbath

Quote from: Far away on Sep 27, 2020, 08:37 PM
Are (some) people complaining about the lack of complexity in a Deftones song? Really?
Stef is not Steve Vai or Kirk Hammet. They have plenty of amazing songs that have like 3 chords, yet, they are very dinamic and have their fingerprint all over it. Why start complaining now? Its not like hes going to, suddenly, start playing complex shit.

Ignore em, its easy. Plenty of good conversation otherwise.. the musicians cant help themselves i guess

Yes, they have a good amount of songs using the same notes/chords/harmonics rearranged in a different order or whatever. Still, most of their songs do not sound the same, at all. Maybe a couple.

A bunch of 'Im a weekend musician so they should do this, or that, to make the song better', really pisses me off.

Get over it.

Seems like they want to find a reason to not like it. Ok, I guess. Its not like they HAVE to like it.
But, what I just find very odd is the fact they want something Deftones usually never do. Complex shit. And by complex, I mean riff wise. They might have some, but. c'mon.

And they just released their most compex record ever  8)

funksk8er

Anyone else's exclusive vinyl from deftonesmerch still stuck in pre-transit?

Hidalgo

Get over it.

But, what I just find very odd is the fact they want something Deftones usually never do. Complex shit. And by complex, I mean riff wise. They might have some, but c'mon.
yea i think people are waiting on Stephen to finally break out and write complex riffs and bust out his first true deftones solo since "answers", and write more complex things, but he's not gonna do it, ever. he's even said he doesn't practice or ever pick his guitar up. he doesn't care, at all about improving. he's the weakest link skill wise in the band. but he's good at writing solid stuff that sounds good,  and he's consistent, and Chino makes it shine. this band is really about the unique singer. Chino and Abe are the most talented in the band by miles

his most complex riffs on the new album is on Ohms(song) i'm pretty sure. that whole song has great riffs, but the beginning and ending riffs are fairly complex

fun fact, some Stephen solos are on: Sol Invicto "unidose" , "answers"(demo), dallas (eros demo), "i feel fine" butchering the beatles. (then the sorta almost solo in the hearts/wires intro he did). he's shown he can solo to some degree, but 0 willingness whatsoever to put one on a deftones record. super shy to do it? or maybe it would actually kill him, someone has told him they'll kill him if he does, lolz. we could be nice and just count the hearts/wires intro as his first album solo. but i'm pretty mean, so i dunno

and this youtube video 42 sec mark, he solos just goofing around. he could easily slap something like this in the middle or end of a deftones song, but refuses. lol. i never expect it to happen, he'd have done it by now. he's not gonna write too many cky style riffs either (like Ohms), he's set in his way, and everyone knows what to expect from him by now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l1shwyyJjQ

https://soundcloud.com/solinvicto/sol-invicto-tapes-unidose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bic3UBXnW8
1:15 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpfu3NfKNHA
56 sec mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx75JmBFrvk
3:33 mark

Far away

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 27, 2020, 09:37 PM

Get over it.

yea i think people are waiting on Stephen to finally break out and write complex riffs and bust out his first true solo since "answers", but he's not gonna do it, ever. he's even said he doesn't practice or ever pick his guitar up. he doesn't care, at all about improving. he's the weakest link skill wise in the band. but he's good at writing solid stuff that sounds good, and Chino makes it shine. Chino and Abe are the most talented in the band by miles

his most complex riffs on the new album is on Ohms(song) i'm pretty sure. that whole song has great riffs, but the beginning and ending riffs are fairly complex

fun fact, some Stephen solos are on: Sol Invicto "unidose" (not on youtube anymore), "answers"(demo), dallas (eros demo), "i feel fine" butchering the beatles. (then the sorta almost solo in the hearts/wires intro he did). he's shown he can solo to some degree, but 0 willingness whatsoever to put one on a deftones record. super shy to do it? or maybe it would actually kill him, someone has told him they'll kill him if he does, lolz. we could be nice and just count the hearts/wires intro as his first album solo. but i'm pretty mean, so i dunno

and this youtube video 42 sec mark, he solos just goofing around. he could easily slap something like this in the middle or end of a deftones song, but refuses. lol. i never expect it to happen, he'd have done it by now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l1shwyyJjQ

Exactly. And Im pretty sure most people in here are not new to the band, so, complaining about something they never bothered to do, is weird.

LG95

Get over it.
I get it though. I don't think people are expecting him to start shredding, just write parts that lead the song rather than add texture. I think it's just the way they write now - because of Chino and Sergio's songwriting contributions and the collaborative way it works, Stef's role is often adding muscle to a song with little flourishes. It's not like Around The Fur where Stef was writing the riffs and then everyone worked off that.
I could float here forever

Hidalgo

look at The Spell of Mathematics dominating the poll. havent' listened to the album in a few days, waiting on the real cd to come in the mail in a few days(29th, freaking slow pokes)

update: ok i caved, listening to it again now. didn't wanna wait another 2 days

nineteen

I think my favourite track is Error at the moment. Love the intro riff, especially when it goes to the low note....and when Chino and Abe come in on the first and second verses.....

"Shiny Candy, Glowing Fruits" - love it

from_musings

This link is dead.Lost count of how many times i've fapped to this song.

Hidalgo

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 27, 2020, 09:55 PM

Get over it.
I get it though. I don't think people are expecting him to start shredding, just write parts that lead the song rather than add texture. I think it's just the way they write now - because of Chino and Sergio's songwriting contributions and the collaborative way it works, Stef's role is often adding muscle to a song with little flourishes. It's not like Around The Fur where Stef was writing the riffs and then everyone worked off that.
i do think he was more creative on the 6 string. interesting that Ohms is basically a 6 string song, and it's my fav riffs from the album. go back to 6 Steffy

Martin

Absolutely immersed in 'Ohms'. Such a good album. At loss for words. Ninth album and seventh album cycle I got to get into from the start (I got into the band when Around The Fur was out for a bit). So, so happy.

Moz La Punk

Very much into Error this weekend. Love how the track goes all spacey in the second half, reminds me of Entombed in that I can just drown in those sounds.

My fave track with Radiant

LG95

Far away

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 27, 2020, 10:33 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 27, 2020, 09:55 PM

Get over it.
i do think he was more creative on the 6 string.

I kinda agree with you on that.

Penicks

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 27, 2020, 11:08 PM
UK people - this is on now

https://twitter.com/DanielPCarter/status/1310309035451846656?s=19

wonder if the radio received some instrumentals, ohms music playing in the intro

LG95

Interesting info that Chino wrote and recorded completely different vocal parts for Genesis ("more meandering"), then started over and wrote what's on the record.

Shells

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 27, 2020, 11:08 PM
UK people - this is on now

https://twitter.com/DanielPCarter/status/1310309035451846656?s=19

Argh I'd forgotten, thank god for the start from the beginning button!

Far away

Awesome takes from the band about each song. Tnx for the reminder, LG95!

Shells

This radio show is a proper Deftones treat, I recommend everyone go and listen!