Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Quote from: SMLiberator on Oct 02, 2020, 03:26 AM
Quote from: Vesanic on Oct 02, 2020, 02:58 AM
As much as I think he's being harsh about it and I do like the record, there's actually a few things I agree with

https://youtu.be/YbU_oJiqWM8

I agree a hell of a lot with a lot of the things he said (especially the "both sides" thing, like, come on chino), but he's just straight up wrong on many of them lmao
I somehow enjoyed that review, it was like watching a funny roast of yourself someone you really like

but yeah his opinion is wrong tho

I haven't watched the review but is he taking the "both sides" lyric as a political statement? I guess you can take it as that, but with most Chino lyrics, I think it's maybe not that clear-cut and can have multiple meanings. I think it's about forging your own path in life and figuring things out for yourself more than some kind of "I'm not a democrat or a republican" viewpoint.

E-Money

Its clear he's not a fan of the band. Good for him . He gave daughters a 10. That is one of the most painfully pathetic records I've ever heard.

I happen to love the first half of the record and think the second half lacks a little bit.. so to each their own.

976-EVIL

Figure we will see the Week 1 Album sales soon. Sure would be great to see Ohms at #1. Gonna be tough to beat Underwood maybe even MGK. Gotta figure they move at least 75,000 units?
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Bqad

Anthony Shitstaino here, the internets busiest music turd. 

Dude is such a slap dick and a hack.

Playhouse

Quote from: Inkblades on Oct 02, 2020, 03:53 AM
Quote from: SMLiberator on Oct 02, 2020, 03:26 AM
Quote from: Vesanic on Oct 02, 2020, 02:58 AM
As much as I think he's being harsh about it and I do like the record, there's actually a few things I agree with

https://youtu.be/YbU_oJiqWM8

I agree a hell of a lot with a lot of the things he said (especially the "both sides" thing, like, come on chino), but he's just straight up wrong on many of them lmao
I somehow enjoyed that review, it was like watching a funny roast of yourself someone you really like

but yeah his opinion is wrong tho

I haven't watched the review but is he taking the "both sides" lyric as a political statement? I guess you can take it as that, but with most Chino lyrics, I think it's maybe not that clear-cut and can have multiple meanings. I think it's about forging your own path in life and figuring things out for yourself more than some kind of "I'm not a democrat or a republican" viewpoint.

absolutely agree
You're a star, You blaze

FatherUppercut

there's nothing I hate worse than youtube thumbnail art of someone with their mouth open. Close your f'kin mouth. It's like weirdos that try to swallow a watermelon whole when they get a Nintendo switch.

This guy is at least a partial, but you know what I'm talking about!

Vesanic

Quote from: pannch on Oct 02, 2020, 03:40 AM
(The Error description was amazing though)

I hate when people say shit like "ErRoR iT livEs up To Its NAmE LOL". Like, it's not even because I like the song, you're not fucking clever.

"JAZZ? MORE LIKE ASS, AMIRITE?"

LG95

I don't actually mean this as a dig but I don't consider what he does to be 'music criticism'. It's not engaged enough beyond his instinctive, subjective reaction to the sounds. That's fine for what it is but I find his presentation muddled in terms of subjective/objective (I know it's hard to straddle between those two but he tries to have his cake and eat it to the point that the "You know this is just my opinion" line just seems like a cop-out), and because it's not engaged enough, he inevitably misrepresents intention and tone; for example, I don't think he's necessarily wrong about the meaning of that Genesis lyric but he clearly caricatures the tone and so fails to understand it.

Honestly, I find his whole thing very dull. Even to try and disagree with his opinion seems to be lending it more than it's worth. I care as much about him giving it a 3 as I would have done had he given it a 10. Complete indifference.
I could float here forever

Gaz

Quote from: LG95 on Oct 02, 2020, 07:01 AM
I don't actually mean this as a dig but I don't consider what he does to be 'music criticism'. It's not engaged enough beyond his instinctive, subjective reaction to the sounds. That's fine for what it is but I find his presentation muddled in terms of subjective/objective (I know it's hard to straddle between those two but he tries to have his cake and eat it to the point that the "You know this is just my opinion" line just seems like a cop-out), and because it's not engaged enough, he inevitably misrepresents intention and tone; for example, I don't think he's necessarily wrong about the meaning of that Genesis lyric but he clearly caricatures the tone and so fails to understand it.

Honestly, I find his whole thing very dull. Even to try and disagree with his opinion seems to be lending it more than it's worth. I care as much about him giving it a 3 as I would have done had he given it a 10. Complete indifference.

Guy just does it to get likes/views etc. typical new age prick

Capt Snow

this forum seething rn over horseface fandango

pannch

Quote from: Gaz on Oct 02, 2020, 08:04 AM

Lol that's absolutely false; I think he doesn't give a damn abt likes/views. If that was the case, he could've given Ohms a positive review. Have you seen the like/dislike ratio of that review ? It contradicts what you're saying...

Gaz

Quote from: pannch on Oct 02, 2020, 08:48 AM

Lol that's absolutely false; I think he doesn't give a damn abt likes/views. If that was the case, he could've given Ohms a positive review. Have you seen the like/dislike ratio of that review ? It contradicts what you're saying...

Are you him?

Of course he gives negative reviews to get reactions, I don't get why so many people have a hard on for this bloke

pannch

Quote from: Gaz on Oct 02, 2020, 08:55 AM

Are you him?

Of course he gives negative reviews to get reactions, I don't get why so many people have a hard on for this bloke

No I am not him. I don't get a hard on for him, but I at least appreciate him covering artists across genres, whom I may or may not ever hear, I haven't seen other reviewers do it tbh.

And I may sound biased, but what you're saying just doesn't make sense. He ain't a new boy in town trying to rack up likes and comments for popularity, he has been in the game for quite some time.

Gaz

Quote from: pannch on Oct 02, 2020, 09:01 AM
Quote from: Gaz on Oct 02, 2020, 08:55 AM

Are you him?

No I am not him. I don't get a hard on for him, but I at least appreciate him covering artists across genres, whom I may or may not ever hear, I haven't seen other reviewers do it tbh.

And I may sound biased, but what you're saying just doesn't make sense. He ain't a new boy in town trying to rack up likes and comments for popularity, he has been in the game for quite some time.

Well I'm sticking to my opinion, you can have yours

Qwerty1921

The sad part is that this guy has a huge audience, and might be the biggest "music review" guy on youtube. 

His super-biased, horrible, reviews give the band a real bad exposure to a lot of people who might not be familiar with Deftones.

Which is a pity, because the credibility of this dude regarding Deftones is below 0.  They could make the next "Kid A" or "Sgt. Pepper's", he would stiill tear it apart with his bag of  "Bland melodies, terrible vocals, terrible guitar, yada yada".

Actually, his review are the closest thing to being bland and generic here.

ws198x

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 02, 2020, 04:31 AM
Figure we will see the Week 1 Album sales soon. Sure would be great to see Ohms at #1. Gonna be tough to beat Underwood maybe even MGK. Gotta figure they move at least 75,000 units?

Hey! First time, long time checking in, (sort of.) I had an account back in the day. Drop Dead's avatar used to be Rey from Tinfed, I think.

I'm a big nut for record sales. I have a topic going on the Deftones subreddit that is getting zero traction, which like who cares.

Anyways, I projected the record to do 40,000-45,000 units and a #6 debut.  Projections are currently showing 28-30,000 with it clocking in at #11.

https://m.hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=323391&title=YOUR-TOP-20-IS-FULLY-LOADED

A lot of reasons this happened. Amazon & Target had shipment issues via Warner. Also this band has an older fan base. So there's a lot casuals who dropped off. Ticket bundling was halted at the beginning of the year. The older fan base also might not be walking into record stores as much these days. And while they did more marketing than usual, the reality is that they're a legacy act with a fan base whose median age is probably 37. A lot of moms & dads who probably moved on.

Reviews matter and the two publications that cater to 30 & under, ( The Needle Drop & Pitchfork), gave middling to bad reviews of Ohms.

FWIW, I gave it an 86 myself, with the top songs being TSOM, Pompeji, & Radiant City. If y'all want to read it and roast me, check it here:

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/user/ws198x/album/272235-ohms/

Glad this place still exists.

secretbandinsider

I can't stand Fantano and not just because he shits on Deftones. He's inconsistent at best and his smug attempts at humour make his shit unwatchable.

Sleeping_Giant

He said that synths are bad, but at the same time he said Pompeji is a good song lol...no matter if I agree with his opinion or not, but this review is just bad.

from_musings

About franks overuse of synths on the album, towards the end "yep, they're still there.. still popping up, although adding nothing to the record though,shoving them down our throats"

I lol'd. I love franks shit but i get the less is more thought about his sounds on ohms

from_musings

Chino specifically said  that "i reject both sides of what I'm being told" was about politics. But i guess you as a listener could make up whatever meaning u want