Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeromindset

Quote from: buflen on Sep 20, 2020, 08:51 PM
dumb lyrics rarely ruin a song for me. It needs to be dumb as fuck. Pink Cellphone comes to mind.

Easily and by far the worst Deftones song. Absolute trash...

Draken

Quote from: zeromindset on Sep 21, 2020, 04:11 AM
dumb lyrics rarely ruin a song for me. It needs to be dumb as fuck. Pink Cellphone comes to mind.

so unlike Deftones, not just sound wise but it's as if they stopped taking themselves seriously for a moment.

zeromindset

Quote from: Draken on Sep 21, 2020, 04:16 AM

so unlike Deftones, not just sound wise but it's as if they stopped taking themselves seriously for a moment.
I think it was Chino himself sneaking it onto the record at the last minute. I doubt the rest of the band would've signed off on that

all3n_y

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 21, 2020, 03:18 AM
I do not know why or how, but when I look at the track listing for this album, all the song titles seem to fit together. I don't know if it's because I haven't heard the whole thing and I haven't looked at it that Way in my younger days,  but everything jives in some way that I cant explain for the first time ever, the track listing all seems to fit together even though they never fit with the songs because they are 90% of the time random. Also,  I am on the verge of listening to Genesis. Too many diehards out there that I remember from back in the day when I was a part of sharing lungs a long long long time ago revering it as a great track. I can't stand it anymore and I'm about to just do it because I realize how stupid it is to hold out because I'm proving nothing to nobody if I do or dont.... here we go
Sooo.... what did you think??

Inkblades

I don't mind Pink Cellphone but I almost don't consider it a Deftones song. To me, it's an Annie Hardy song produced by and featuring Chino Moreno. That being said, it's fucking INSANE to leave Finger of Death off in favor of it.

Inkblades

Quick review from another board:

"Got the record yesterday for review (Warner music seems very strict about it as it the "confidential" button is as big as ever) and it's a beast! I'm pretty d'accord with the Metal Hammer review. Had a friend over today who is a HUGE fan and he was blown away. But even as a casual fan I was surprised how much I enjoy it. It's a perfect mixture of old and new and yes, "this link is dead" is a really really mean track! Definitely a stand-out track, but so is "radiant city" with it's heavy crunch, but dreamy vocals.

It's a bold move to release two singles which are the A and O to the record, first and last song, but what lies in between is an extremely solid ride and damn, Chino is at his a-game vocal wise. I also love how bass driven the record is, the rythm section really shines on Ohms and I haven't enjoyed a Deftones record that much in years. Some real bangers on there which I can't wait to see live eventually.

Favorite tracks (curious on what you guys and girls will say next week): Genesis, Error, This Link is Dead, Radiant City"

Roidragee

Everyone is having TLID as one of their favorite tracks in every review I've read. Can't wait to hear that song

GR1X7S

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 21, 2020, 04:35 AM
Quick review from another board:

"Got the record yesterday for review (Warner music seems very strict about it as it the "confidential" button is as big as ever) and it's a beast! I'm pretty d'accord with the Metal Hammer review. Had a friend over today who is a HUGE fan and he was blown away. But even as a casual fan I was surprised how much I enjoy it. It's a perfect mixture of old and new and yes, "this link is dead" is a really really mean track! Definitely a stand-out track, but so is "radiant city" with it's heavy crunch, but dreamy vocals.

It's a bold move to release two singles which are the A and O to the record, first and last song, but what lies in between is an extremely solid ride and damn, Chino is at his a-game vocal wise. I also love how bass driven the record is, the rythm section really shines on Ohms and I haven't enjoyed a Deftones record that much in years. Some real bangers on there which I can't wait to see live eventually.

Favorite tracks (curious on what you guys and girls will say next week): Genesis, Error, This Link is Dead, Radiant City"

You just keep on deliverin' the good stuff, man

Inkblades

GR1X7S

Draken

Quote from: zeromindset on Sep 21, 2020, 04:18 AM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 21, 2020, 04:16 AM

I think it was Chino himself sneaking it onto the record at the last minute. I doubt the rest of the band would've signed off on that

right, it is a completely "Chino song" he made without the band knowing. He even admitted it was out of character but he was just uninspired and bored with the album, the guys weren't really communicating and he sort made that on the fly with Annie Hardy.

LG95

According to Annie Hardy, that outro part only ended up on the record because Chino didn't respond to an email from his manager.
I could float here forever

Far away

Songs I dont really care about:

Adrenaline / ATF / WP (dont include BTS here) and ST are 99% perfect. Engine #9 / Headup, the little bass thing in the end is better than both songs combined, imo

SNW: HITE (album version is rly crap). Mein, Rats!, Pink cellphone
DE: some songs Im not a fan, but I dont think they are BAD...just... meh.
KNY: Rosemary is boring as fuck, sorry, it is..
Gore: Doomed user, Geometric, Pittura Infamante

From this list, I rly cant say I HATE any song, but I skip them like, 90% of the time!

zeromindset

Quote from: Far away on Sep 21, 2020, 06:51 AM
Oof... Rosemary is easily the best on Koi for me

Far away

Quote from: zeromindset on Sep 21, 2020, 06:55 AM
Quote from: Far away on Sep 21, 2020, 06:51 AM
Oof... Rosemary is easily the best on Koi for me

tbf, my problem with that song is the slow ass tempo, thats the only reason its in that list, lol.

RaptureWS

from the leaks I've heard spell of mathematics, headless and possibly pompeji sound like absolute classics. Oddly enough all the reviews keep talking about error, radiant City, and this link is dead. if those songs really are on par or better than spell & headless.........as excited as I am to hear the album, I'm equally excited to see the fans be excited again after a lot of you were disappointed by Gore.I work tomorrow night and then I'm basically off for 4 days. I think as soon as I get off work tomorrow the hype is it going to kick into overdrive and become unbearable. I've just had a feeling ever since they released the album but it would leak on the Tuesday before so that's when I took my PTO days. even if it doesn't and I have to wait until Thursday when it releases a New Zealand I'll still have two full days to jam out.    I'm glad the reviews are sharing the same sentiment that I've been saying for weeks now, that this album really is going to have something for everyone. even if it doesn't leak at all, we are 77 hours away from the New Zealand release if my math is correct. that sounds so crazy to say out loud after this long crazy year. be well everyone..... we're in the home stretch
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Moz La Punk

Yeah man the hype is getting into overdrive here as well, Im getting very impatient. This is the week we're going to hear the record, feels insane to put it like that. Reaaaally getting impatient now lol.

Also I saw some mentions earlier in the topic, cool beans! Whats up guys and galls. Its been a while huh. I remember when I was 17/18/19 sitting in my bedroom in my parents house, smoking one cig after another and posting thousands of posts here lol. It was between S/T and SNW. Man, how time flies. But Deftones is forever.

Sleeping_Giant

It's their another record without early leak - really good job done by the label (except mixlr incident). Maybe they will keep it that way till NZ release.

pannch

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 21, 2020, 10:15 AM
The Soundboard review:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thesoundboardreviews.com/2020/09/21/album-review-ohms-by-deftones/amp/

This review was less about the tracks and the album and more about how Deftones are still relevant after so many years, and ohms not being a tectonic shift from their previous works. Although that's not incorrect, the review had little to do with the album, and dragged itself in the sea of carefully chosen words so as to not draw ire from fans inspite of what the reviewer actually feels and plays it safe.

My score of the review: 2/10