Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imbrie

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 21, 2020, 02:23 PM
Quote from: imbrie on Sep 21, 2020, 02:09 PM
Stereogum review:

https://www.stereogum.com/2098672/deftones-ohms-review/franchises/reviews/premature-evaluation/
I like some of the lyrical and thematic detail in that review. Not just "it's heavy but melodic".

Yes, that was an enjoyable and very engaging read. Anticipation for the album is at fever pitch now!

buflen

Stereogum review:

https://www.stereogum.com/2098672/deftones-ohms-review/franchises/reviews/premature-evaluation/
Man the reviewer says a lot of lame thing in this review, but he actually made my laugh out loud with this:
"That atmosphere bleeds directly over into "This Link Is Dead," which I'm pretty sure isn't about proper website maintenance."

E-Money

Damn guys it sounds like this one is special .

GR1X7S

Reading these reviews have given me literal chills. Goddamn we're so close!

Far away

One thing to keep everyone in perspective (and Im not trying to be the guy who sees the glass half empty here): I dont remember a SINGLE review til this day, about a new Deftones record anyway, that said something bad. They might exist, but...

A good review only means the guy writing it, liked what he heard. I remember reading a lot of good reviews about Gore, and despite the fact I like some songs there, I think the record missed something as a whole. Cant say exactly what, but you guys got my point.

imbrie

Quote from: Far away on Sep 21, 2020, 03:33 PM
One thing to keep everyone in perspective (and Im not trying to be the guy who sees the glass half empty here): I dont remember a SINGLE review til this day, about a new Deftones record anyway, that said something bad. They might exist, but...

A good review only means the guy writing it, liked what he heard. I remember reading a lot of good reviews about Gore, and despite the fact I like some songs there, I think the record missed something as a whole. Cant say exactly what, but you guys got my point.

So very true. Keep perspective guys!

buflen

Quote from: Far away on Sep 21, 2020, 03:33 PM

What gets me excited is what is said about the songs, not that they are positive.

Matthewtheloser

I'm going into this album expecting it to be the best Deftones album ever, and if it doesn't blow White Pony out of the water, I'm gonna denounce Deftones forever.

... okay, if it's at the very least a marginal improvement over Gore I'll be happy

dearthx1

This anticipation is killing me! Thanks for posting all these reviews. Already at this point any reservations I've had are gone thanks to the two singles. Gore was a huge disappointment for me btu I feel like the boys are back with this one. Can't wait to enjoy fully!

imbrie

Well boys, we're really into the home straight now. I hope there's something that everybody enjoys on this album and that it's not too polarising. Reviews certainly suggest that there's at least 2/3 genuine gems to be excited about and Abe has been mentioned a few times as bringing something special which, as a drummer, is particularly exciting.

Anyway hope we all enjoy the final buildup and the album itself.

sharinglungs

every review so far has been 8 or 9/10

buflen

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 21, 2020, 04:11 PM
every review so far has been 8 or 9/10
until Fandango comes in and give it a 3.

Shadow46/2

Curious what Pitchfork will say. They've been high on the band recently but they definitely haven't always been.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

kurtone

Reading that lyric sample from spell of mathematics gave me Robert smith vibes and sure enough a different review mentioned the same thing lol. Can't wait to hear this.

Inkblades

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Sep 21, 2020, 04:57 PM
Curious what Pitchfork will say. They've been high on the band recently but they definitely haven't always been.

The guy who gave Gore a good review on Pitchfork and did the White Pony retrospective review is a pretty big fan of them (although his taste is a little weird, he gave Team Sleep Woodstock a middling review and Crosses a bad review - I like Gore more than most, but those are both more consistent). He said Genesis is a banger on Twitter, so If they give him the review again, he'll probably give it an 8 at least.

LG95

^
That's Ian Cohen. He loves them.

He'll give it a high score (by Pitchfork standards obviously, meaning like a 7.6).
I could float here forever

lungdamage

Quote from: buflen on Sep 21, 2020, 02:35 PM
Stereogum review:

Man the reviewer says a lot of lame thing in this review, but he actually made my laugh out loud with this:
"That atmosphere bleeds directly over into "This Link Is Dead," which I'm pretty sure isn't about proper website maintenance."

😂 yeah, it's like they smoked a bowl of dank 'adjectives' before writing the review. 😂

lungdamage

That stereogum review was hilarious :)

"It describes the formation of the galaxies and millions of other planets with intelligent life overseen by God, and also follows the life of Jesus with bonus sidequests and shit that we didn't get in the first telling. At least I think. It's 2,000-plus pages and they don't pay me enough to do that much research for a record review. I know it all sounds like Muse fucking around in a YouTube k-hole, but that sort of stargazing sense of wonder and smallness in the face of the infinite pervades the album so it's got to be worth mentioning.

Sometimes Ohms also simply sounds like Moreno is singing about fucking, too, so it's not all heady shit."

This reviewer went in  😂😂😂😂 That was a funny read.