Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hidalgo

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 20, 2020, 02:01 PM
Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 20, 2020, 02:00 PM
Gonna be hard to fool people with amazon links to clips, considering Amazon has literally stopped doing song previews lol

I'm a simple man, I see Deftones preview I click  :'(
that's such a classic troll, i bet it's 20 years old at least. that one and gaping bunghole guy are the best

LG95

Metal Hammer review for those who were asking:

Quote"It's rare in a career spanning more than a quarter of a century that a band could make as few missteps as Deftones have. The Sacramento alt-metallers have rarely let their lofty standards slip below essential, but, even though many were hugely onboard with the more ethereal, experimental post-rock vibes of 2016's Gore, there were some murmurings of discontent from fans that the album sacrificed too much in the way of heaviness. If you were one of those people then Ohms will definitely go some way to placating you and your tastes, as long as you don't expect Deftones to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Opener Genesis is expertly pitched between the slow-burning mystique of the previous album, yet it's still dominated by a gargantuan Stephen Carpenter metal riff. It's then followed by two songs that sting like a butterfly and float like a bee; Ceremony is woozy one minute and white hot the next, while Urantia chugs into view as if it is going to be a full-blown metallic stomper before pulling back to a gentle strut. This dance continues for the rest of the song, and showcases everything that make Deftones so special. Their use of dynamics, the ability to be so heart-stopping beautiful yet outwardly aggressive, is the reason why so many people hold this band in such esteem. That push and pull is second nature to them at this point, and while it wouldn't be correct to say that Ohms points the band in any new directions or draws from any new influences, Deftones are such masters at taming these contradictory, capacious sounds that the results are continually glorious.

Saying that, the second half of the record is definitely where the old-school fans of traditional heaviness will have the most joy. Pompeji is a tricksy number, starting as slow and quiet as the album gets before launching into a destructive groove and then ending on as close to Vangelis-inspired synthwave scene as Deftones have ever been, before This Link Is Dead comes powering into view. It's probably the most out-and-out brutal Deftones have sounded since When Girls Telephone Boys on their 2003 self-titled album. It's such a delight to hear the band rage with such uncompromising intensity again, so good in fact that it's the highlight of the record. They don't let up for the following Radiant City, and even though Headless is a slow and more spacious number it still contains some crushing guitar parts. The title track closes the record, once more an amalgam of lush melodies and post-metal crush, but with an added stoner riff that wouldn't be out of place on a Red Fang album.

Ohms is an album for every type of Deftones fan. Whether you're longing for the days of Around The Fur or if you appreciated the more measured material on Gore there will be something that you'll love. In taking an extensive tour of their past, Deftones continue to be essential today."
I could float here forever

Far away

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 20, 2020, 02:20 PM
Metal Hammer review for those who were asking:

Quote"It's rare in a career spanning more than a quarter of a century that a band could make as few missteps as Deftones have. The Sacramento alt-metallers have rarely let their lofty standards slip below essential, but, even though many were hugely onboard with the more ethereal, experimental post-rock vibes of 2016's Gore, there were some murmurings of discontent from fans that the album sacrificed too much in the way of heaviness. If you were one of those people then Ohms will definitely go some way to placating you and your tastes, as long as you don't expect Deftones to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Opener Genesis is expertly pitched between the slow-burning mystique of the previous album, yet it's still dominated by a gargantuan Stephen Carpenter metal riff. It's then followed by two songs that sting like a butterfly and float like a bee; Ceremony is woozy one minute and white hot the next, while Urantia chugs into view as if it is going to be a full-blown metallic stomper before pulling back to a gentle strut. This dance continues for the rest of the song, and showcases everything that make Deftones so special. Their use of dynamics, the ability to be so heart-stopping beautiful yet outwardly aggressive, is the reason why so many people hold this band in such esteem. That push and pull is second nature to them at this point, and while it wouldn't be correct to say that Ohms points the band in any new directions or draws from any new influences, Deftones are such masters at taming these contradictory, capacious sounds that the results are continually glorious.

Saying that, the second half of the record is definitely where the old-school fans of traditional heaviness will have the most joy. Pompeji is a tricksy number, starting as slow and quiet as the album gets before launching into a destructive groove and then ending on as close to Vangelis-inspired synthwave scene as Deftones have ever been, before This Link Is Dead comes powering into view. It's probably the most out-and-out brutal Deftones have sounded since When Girls Telephone Boys on their 2003 self-titled album. It's such a delight to hear the band rage with such uncompromising intensity again, so good in fact that it's the highlight of the record. They don't let up for the following Radiant City, and even though Headless is a slow and more spacious number it still contains some crushing guitar parts. The title track closes the record, once more an amalgam of lush melodies and post-metal crush, but with an added stoner riff that wouldn't be out of place on a Red Fang album.

Ohms is an album for every type of Deftones fan. Whether you're longing for the days of Around The Fur or if you appreciated the more measured material on Gore there will be something that you'll love. In taking an extensive tour of their past, Deftones continue to be essential today."

tnx bro!

el_narvalo

E-Money

Thx LG95 your the man 👊🏻

Hidalgo

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 20, 2020, 02:01 PM
Genesis has somehow become my low-key favorite Deftones song and I'm not sure how I feel about that. That bridge is so relaxing and I can't believe the chorus sounded like AIDS to me the first time I heard it, but now I can't get it out of my head. Do you guys think there will be any solos on the album this time? Was just wondering because I think some well-timed melodic mini-solos like on Phantom Bride or Hearts would be very welcome.
there could be solos kinda like the one in goon squad, or the intro solo in hearts/wires (just barely able to be called solos). but Stephen seems hell bent on never doing a proper solo on an album. i thinks he's capable of a decent one(answers, and "dallas" from eros come to mind) but he's not willing, at all, zero, zip, zilch, nada. i mean Jerry Cantrell set them up perfectly with a manageable guitar solo, and Stef doesn't step up and play it live, he makes Chino do it(halfway correct), when it should be no problem for Stephen(he's the more skilled of the 2). maybe he's really just that bad, no idea. its bizarre to put it mildly, but he absolutely refuses, and avoids putting solos on their albums like the plague

Moz La Punk

Thanks for typing it out LG95.

From the review and what Ive heard so far I really get a 'back to basics' and in your face-approach feeling that I had with Diamond Eyes, but with a lusher soundscape from the Chi days. Thats a very positive thing btw. Thats what I get out of it of course but perhaps Ill be mistaken when I hear it all.

tarkil

Quote from: Far away on Sep 20, 2020, 07:26 AM
Good to see YOU are alive and kicking as well, dude. :)

He he, thanks old friend! Same goes to you !!!! How's Brasil these days? Not too crazy with your weird president ?

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Far away

Quote from: tarkil on Sep 20, 2020, 03:11 PM

He he, thanks old friend! Same goes to you !!!! How's Brasil these days? Not too crazy with your weird president ?

Well, according to him: "We are winning the battle against covid-19". 136k+ deaths and more than 4.5 million cases (with a huge notification delay, so numbers are, most likely, not accurate/up to date). Imagine if we were losing. The guy is a clown.
Anyway, enough politics, otherwise ppl will get upset, lol. Good to hear you're well. Kudos!

Vesanic

I guess with people receiving their copies, a leak is at the door.

I want to thank everyone one last time for sticking to the rules, which have been admittedly a lot more strict than they used to be. I also leaked a ton of stuff in the past, I appreciate the fact nobody waved that at my face and took the easy shot at calling me a hypocrite. Sometimes it feels good being a mod over here.

Rules still apply until d-day, don't explicitly discuss the material before it's officially out. To be honest, I'm still rooting for a no-leak, as unrealistic as it may be. It's a bit like watching my favorite football team getting crushed and hope for a complete turn of things until the final seconds. Sometimes it does happen...  ;D

E-Money

Thx for everything Romain! Glad we got to all experience this one more time!!!

Fingers crossed for a couple more as well! Hope everyone finds something special on this record!

Visionz

;D
Quote from: tarkil on Sep 20, 2020, 03:11 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D  Mine is weirder

plagasx

Hmm, no mention of The Spell of Mathematics or Error in that review.. 🤔

BallZDeeP

Inkblades

Quote from: plagasx on Sep 20, 2020, 04:30 PM
Hmm, no mention of The Spell of Mathematics or Error in that review.. 🤔

They described Ceremony as "woozy", which is funny because that's exactly how I'd describe TSOM's chorus.

Frankz0r

Whoa tarkil, far away, moz...

It's like Im back to 2006

Girls are gone (devilinside and I forgot the other girl's name...).

This happens every 4 years haha

It's been a ride

Visionz

Thanks for the MHammer review. That was nice of you. Sounds so promising and hopefully somewhat accurate! Didnt mention  Spell of Math which i found sorta missing bc people have hinted at it being "different" or a surprise maybe. Urantia sounds really interesting thus far. I gotta decide today which bundle if any i want. I dont have a record player anymore or a cd player. The speakers in my Jeep Cherokee arent awesome and i feel like this may be the first time ever not initially hearing a new Dtones record at a premium level. This is really bugging me. I dont want to buy a stereo bc i own a beast, its just stuck 800 miles away in a storage facility i cant get to till December!  :-\   Any ideas? Is theere any tecommendations for wireless ear buds for an Iphone? Like really good ones???? Please help a fellow fan out

Inkblades

The Ohms video is now at 2.9 million views and Genesis is around 690,000 views. Would be cool if Ohms gets to 3 milly and Genesis gets to 1 milly before the album drops.

Yossarian

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 20, 2020, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the MHammer review. That was nice of you. Sounds so promising and hopefully somewhat accurate! Didnt mention  Spell of Math which i found sorta missing bc people have hinted at it being "different" or a surprise maybe. Urantia sounds really interesting thus far. I gotta decide today which bundle if any i want. I dont have a record player anymore or a cd player. The speakers in my Jeep Cherokee arent awesome and i feel like this may be the first time ever not initially hearing a new Dtones record at a premium level. This is really bugging me. I dont want to buy a stereo bc i own a beast, its just stuck 800 miles away in a storage facility i cant get to till December!  :-\   Any ideas? Is theere any tecommendations for wireless ear buds for an Iphone? Like really good ones???? Please help a fellow fan out

If I'd be planning to listen Ohms on iPhone, apart from looking for good headphones I'd go to Tidal for album stream. Deftones are one of few bands releasing music in MQA files on Tidal. It's called "Master" quality and you need to pay bit extra for "Master" Tidal account to access it, but it's worth it. Songs sound more detailed and analogue. With decent headphones their quality is uncomparable with any other streaming.
"Something in our music that has a little provocative kind of vibe to it. And I feel like that exists in our music for some reason. I don't know where it comes from."

LG95

Quote from: Yossarian on Sep 20, 2020, 04:54 PM

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 20, 2020, 04:37 PM

If I'd be planning to listen Ohms on iPhone, apart from looking for good headphones I'd go to Tidal for album stream. Deftones are one of few bands releasing music in MQA files on Tidal. It's called "Master" quality and you need to pay bit extra for "Master" Tidal account to access it, but it's worth it. Songs sound more detailed and analogue. With decent headphones their quality is uncomparable with any other streaming.

Interesting. I'll have to look into it.
I could float here forever