Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

It's pretty amusing that the song where Chino screams "I have no patience for expectation!" has easily been the most hyped-up song in the reviews.

Far away

Quote from: buflen on Sep 21, 2020, 03:41 PM
Quote from: Far away on Sep 21, 2020, 03:33 PM
One thing to keep everyone in perspective (and Im not trying to be the guy who sees the glass half empty here): I dont remember a SINGLE review til this day, about a new Deftones record anyway, that said something bad. They might exist, but...

A good review only means the guy writing it, liked what he heard. I remember reading a lot of good reviews about Gore, and despite the fact I like some songs there, I think the record missed something as a whole. Cant say exactly what, but you guys got my point.
What gets me excited is what is said about the songs, not that they are positive.

Thats fair.

Visionz

Quote from: buflen on Sep 21, 2020, 05:38 PM
https://www.punkrocktheory.com/music_reviews/deftones-ohms

Yeah this person just ripped off the last persons review 95% with the same words phrases and descriptions. It's no mistake. I'm loving these praises and ratings though

buflen

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 21, 2020, 06:00 PM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 21, 2020, 05:38 PM
https://www.punkrocktheory.com/music_reviews/deftones-ohms

Yeah this person just ripped off the last persons review 95% with the same words phrases and descriptions. It’s no mistake. I’m loving these praises and ratings though
The SEO joke is suspect, but they are describing the same songs? And it would be a extremely fast plagiarism.

buflen

grammarly says:
We have found significant plagiarism in your text and have also detected 14 writing issues.

Visionz

Quote from: buflen on Sep 21, 2020, 06:14 PM
grammarly says:
We have found significant plagiarism in your text and have also detected 14 writing issues.

Telling you, it felt like the same person wrote for both outlets. Btw, whos grammarly

LG95

I could float here forever

lungdamage

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 21, 2020, 06:31 PM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 21, 2020, 06:14 PM
grammarly says:

Telling you, it felt like the same person wrote for both outlets. Btw, whos grammarly

:D really?

E-Money

It looks like nothing but positive opinion so far! That is awesome. I'm so excited for the second half of this record.

Roidragee

A review compared Radiant city from past songs by saying "the skittish strobing rush of 'Radiant City', the brakeless bastard child of 'Swerve City' and Saturday Night Wrist's 'Rapture'

sharinglungs

Quote from: Roidragee on Sep 21, 2020, 07:15 PM
A review compared Radiant city from past songs by saying "the skittish strobing rush of 'Radiant City', the brakeless bastard child of 'Swerve City' and Saturday Night Wrist's 'Rapture'
"Infusing the record with sandblasted grit whilst still allowing the more prominent synthetic soundscapes of Frank Delgado to coat the record with a translucent aura, Ohms is incandescent with a perfectly balanced tone that wondrously showcases each respective member firing furiously on all cylinders, in both synch and harmony. This becomes blindingly transparent on the simply colossal obsidian clad 'The Spell Of Mathematics', the oceanic allure of the rapturous 'Pompeji' and the skittish strobing rush of 'Radiant City', the brakeless bastard child of 'Swerve City' and Saturday Night Wrist's 'Rapture'."

Like.. yeahh... we need this album ASAP lol

buflen

Quote from: Roidragee on Sep 21, 2020, 07:15 PM
I'll ignore this because im not a fan of both of these songs. Comparing songs is kinda dumb though.

zeromindset

Yeahhhh... Not a fan of Swerve City or Rapture tbh lol. But maybe it'll still be good

feiticeiro

Does anyone know when the preorder shipments for Europe start?

rainnyx4

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 21, 2020, 07:09 PM
This is a good one

https://www.xsnoize.com/album-review-deftones-ohms/

"The album's structured in such a way that these songs flow into each other, whether through well-executed transitions or through some tracks picking up right where their predecessor left off – room to breathe is offered within these chameleonic songs themselves, rather than elsewhere, making for a seamless 46-minute listening experience."

This quote is what is giving me all of my excitement for this album, which I think Chino alluded to once in the past. One of my favorite part of KNY was how it flirted with being a prog-concept album with all of the intros, outros, and bleeds into songs. I can still remember being floored by Entombed moving directly into Graphic Nature. And that wasn't even a particularly imaginative transition. But it went a long way into making the album feel like a journey, with each song telling a different and necessary part of a connected story.

I've been a little let down by both Genesis and Ohms so far. Both are good, but felt like there could have been so much more to them if they'd just tweaked them ever so slightly and expanded them. Hopefully, this album really does feel like one cohesive experience so I feel less let down by the underwhelming quality of each individual track by its lonesome.

ghostofemilydickinson

Quote from: kurtone on Sep 21, 2020, 07:39 PM
https://www.theprp.com/2020/09/21/news/deftones-chino-moreno-reveals-the-songs-he-listened-to-while-driving-to-the-studio-for-ohms-sessions/

Hell yes, Harold Budd. He's been one of my favorite artists for YEARS and no one ever talks about him. I know Biran Eno is supposed to be the ambient master, but Budd is just as good. His album "The White Arcades" is basically a masterpiece of creepy beauty and anything he does with Robin Guthrie is just about flawless.

Drop-Dead