Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visionz

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 20, 2020, 08:16 PM
Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 20, 2020, 08:09 PM
@Inkblades I think I prefer Gore over KNY as well. I know that's an unpopular opinion. What Happened To You probably slays anything on Gore though lol.

Another unpopular opinion: WHTY? is my least favorite Deftones song. I do like Chino's performance, but I hate the one-note riff on it. Like, violently hate.

Whenever I see somebody post their least favorite Deftones song I instantly think of CMND/CTRL..... The King Kong come get some bullshit literally killed it 10 times over. I don't understand how Chino went on for months knowing he could rewrite another phrase or something. I also can't stand guns razors knives LOL it is so immature and lazy! I also picture CMND without some of those lyrics and I still can't get down on it no matter what BC he sounds silly in the tone he's yelling the lyrics out in

nicklav

I just want some wall of sound chords on this album. I love Genesis but I'm over the single string chug. I need more Knife Party/Boy's Republic/Hexagram goodness.

Hidalgo

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 20, 2020, 08:24 PM
@Inkblades I think I prefer Gore over KNY as well. I know that's an unpopular opinion. What Happened To You probably slays anything on Gore though lol.

Another unpopular opinion: WHTY? is my least favorite Deftones song. I do like Chino's performance, but I hate the one-note riff on it. Like, violently hate.

Whenever I see somebody post their least favorite Deftones song I instantly think of CMND/CTRL..... The King Kong come get some bullshit literally killed it 10 times over. I don’t understand how Chino went on for months knowing he could rewrite another phrase or something. I also can’t stand guns razors knives LOL it is so immature and lazy! I also picture CMND without some of those lyrics and I still can’t get down on it no matter what BC he sounds silly in the tone he’s yelling the lyrics out in
i don't mind king kong get some. i like it, it's kinda like Anthony Kietis kinda weird rap lines. gun razors knives as well, is just a more intense knife party theme(possibly having the knife/gun fight with a gf, or them as your accomplice) . but i can see how some would find it dumb

glassdomino

Whenever I see somebody post their least favorite Deftones song I instantly think of CMND/CTRL..... The King Kong come get some bullshit literally killed it 10 times over. I don't understand how Chino went on for months knowing he could rewrite another phrase or something. I also can't stand guns razors knives LOL it is so immature and lazy! I also picture CMND without some of those lyrics and I still can't get down on it no matter what BC he sounds silly in the tone he's yelling the lyrics out in

i agree with you about rocket skates, but i always took that line in cmnd/ctrl as a reference to the movie training day where denzel's character yells "king kong ain't got shit on me!"

Draken

If you put Rocket Skates lyrics into the context of playing video games competitively with friends it all makes sense.

Inkblades

I don't mind guns, razors, knives but bitch you're barbaric, King Kong, get some is goofy as fuck lol.

buflen

dumb lyrics rarely ruin a song for me. It needs to be dumb as fuck. Pink Cellphone comes to mind.

Visionz

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 20, 2020, 08:32 PM

i don't mind king kong get some. i like it, it's kinda like Anthony Kietis kinda weird rap lines. gun razors knives as well, is just a more intense knife party theme, lets actually do this knife and gun fight with an accomplice . but i can see how some would find it dumb

Maybe if he didn't say fuck with me after he says guns razors knives it wouldn't be as bad but he sounds like someone that he's not like he's some bad ass or something like that and it just seems silly to me that's all. He's the same guy who wrote lovers and passenger etc. etc. And he's not Anthony Kiedis,  it just came Out of nowhere because I can't think of any lyrics before that that fall into the same category you put it in or we put it in. It's just not Chino to me or Deftones to me that's all. But after all it is Deftones because it is now solidified. Anthony Kiedis ....that's his style

Draken

Guns, razors, knives, (doesn't matter what game it is I'll kick your ass.) Fuck with me.

I'm right next to you (*sitting*)

put the keys (*controllers*) in our hands

let's drink with our weapons (*controllers*) in our hands

let's fall in a long sadistic trance (eyes fixed to the screen)

Visionz

Quote from: Draken on Sep 20, 2020, 08:43 PM
If you put Rocket Skates lyrics into the context of playing video games competitively with friends it all makes sense.

Ok.

LG95

Hang on, people don't like GUNS RAZORS KNIVES? That shit rules. CMND/CTRL bangs too. Such a bouncy groove and riff.

Mein is shit, Combat's not good at all, LMIRL does nothing interesting after the intro. It seems popular now to say that Pink Cellphone is ok up until Annie Hardy's monologue at the end. It's not, it's shit all the way through.

Those are the outright bad Deftones songs. I've been LG95, good night.
I could float here forever

Visionz

Quote from: Draken on Sep 20, 2020, 08:53 PM
Guns, razors, knives, (doesn't matter what game it is I'll kick your ass.) Fuck with me.

I'm right next to you (*sitting*)

put the keys (*controllers*) in our hands

let's drink with our weapons (*controllers*) in our hands

let's fall in a long sadistic trance (eyes fixed to the screen)

Nicely put! You can turn any lyrics just about into anything and I think that's how Chino writes most of the time anyways. So I get it. I just don't like those lines they sound pathetic to me no matter what but you really just thought up some maaaaaagic there bud.  Maybe we should start a thread unless there is one I lazily haven't found yet about our interpretations of chinos lyrics!? I think it would be really fun and thoughtful and entertaining. Maybe even enlightening if somebody really nails something  ??? ::)

Penicks

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 20, 2020, 08:56 PM
Hang on, people don't like GUNS RAZORS KNIVES? That shit rules. CMND/CTRL bangs too. Such a bouncy groove and riff.

Mein is shit, Combat's not good at all, LMIRL does nothing interesting after the intro. It seems popular now to say that Pink Cellphone is ok up until Annie Hardy's monologue at the end. It's not, it's shit all the way through.

booooooo

Draken

One move that will keep you wet.

Lets sail in this sea of charms.

I mean, the correlations go on. To me that's what the song is about, just covering up the meaning in a more poetic way than being so on the nose about it.

Visionz

Yup that's how the whole big world works. I like all those songs you mentioned except Mein.. But we do both love Deftones

buflen

Only song in the list I don't get is Combat, even though I don't hate Mein as much as I used to. how is it not good?

Visionz

Draken

I couldn't get this damn clip of the video to embed for the life of me but this is how you Gore fans look to me:

https://youtu.be/wHQP1YqB-p4?start=218&end=235

nicklav

Combat is amazing. Sounds huge and has some great drumming by Abe. One of the stronger SNW tracks for sure.

Hidalgo

Quote from: nicklav on Sep 20, 2020, 09:07 PM
Combat is amazing. Sounds huge and has some great drumming by Abe. One of the stronger SNW tracks for sure.
agreed. i'd say riviere, rapture, kimdracula, and combat are my favorites from SNW