Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Korn

Started by Moz La Punk, Feb 22, 2006, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkmaggit

Quote from: skinnypuppy on Nov 11, 2011, 05:51 PM
I get the impression that they don't really care much about music, and have opted to just keep trying new things until one of their albums sells 200k again.

It took 20+ yrs, but Deftones have become larger than korn in many ways.

But instead of chino forcing dubstep on the band, he plays around with side projects. that's something jon davis never did.  some things should remain true to style, even shitty music like korn.

Very true.
Another difference is that Chino and Deftones have class and Korn doesn't.
Deftones don't need to use gimmicks in their music because they know it's timeless.
That's what I've always loved about Deftones - they know their strengths and they play to them.
Deftones have pushed boundaries by way of their songwriting and song structures and haven't needed to introduce gimmicks such as electronics (remember the late 90's when every alternative band seemed to be doing this) or dubstep or anything like that.
Chino is an incredible songwriter, Jon - well he isn't.
Just compare the two's lyrics!
I don't think that korn's music ever had the scope and variety that Deftones did and Deftones are definitely bigger than Korn now, as evident by both bands respective last album sales.
I expect Korn to lose even more of their fanbase as a result of  these awful dubstep experiments.
Sad because I still like their older stuff but they just seem to be going through the motions these days, more interested in regaining their lost popularity than with making quality music.

Sushi-X

http://www.nme.com/news/korn/60843?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

i didn't think Korn could any more ridiculous or pathetic, but then J. Davis tries to be political

Rocket Skates '94

Oldnewtype

Fuck Revolver.

Vesanic

Geogaddii

its not that bad... best work since untouchables.

sing blue silver

From kornrow.com
QuoteBrian 'Head' Welch will play with Korn as a 'special guest' for next year's Rock am Ring & Rock im Ring in Germany. Rock am Ring will take place on June 7-9, 2013.

Brian's current band Love and Death are preparing to release their anticipated "Between Here & Lost" album which is now slated for a January 22nd release on Tooth & Nail Records.
Korn are also preparing the recording of their 11th studio album in Bakersfield, California. It's currently unknown if Head will contribute material to Korn's album.

This will be the 2nd time Head has played with Korn since departing the band in 2004. He performed "Blind" with Korn at this year's edition of Carolina Rebellion festival.

I haven't been a KoRn fan for quite some time now but I'll check this out. The band desperately needs Head back.

SquealLikeaPig

Quote from: sing blue silver on Nov 08, 2012, 04:04 PM
From kornrow.com
QuoteBrian 'Head' Welch will play with Korn as a 'special guest' for next year's Rock am Ring & Rock im Ring in Germany. Rock am Ring will take place on June 7-9, 2013.

Brian's current band Love and Death are preparing to release their anticipated "Between Here & Lost" album which is now slated for a January 22nd release on Tooth & Nail Records.
Korn are also preparing the recording of their 11th studio album in Bakersfield, California. It's currently unknown if Head will contribute material to Korn's album.

This will be the 2nd time Head has played with Korn since departing the band in 2004. He performed "Blind" with Korn at this year's edition of Carolina Rebellion festival.

I haven't been a KoRn fan for quite some time now but I'll check this out. The band desperately needs Head back.

I was a big Korn fan in the late 90's early 2000's.  Follow the Leader will always be one of my favorite albums.  The guitar and bass were just so unique and powerful at the time.  That said, it's kind of sad how badly they have regressed.  I think their main problem is Jonathan's desire to be so pop when it's just not cut out for that band.  They had it going on with their first 3 or 4 albums but really went down hill fast after that.  Their dubstep album isn't bad but it's hard to get into something when you feel the guys have totally sold out.  I would like to see Head back with them for some live shows though.  Maybe he could help them recapture some of their old magic.  I always thought he was the main one that brought the goods for that band.

sing blue silver

That brings up a good question of weather or not for the 2 shows they'll be playing with Head if they'll be playing any tunes he didn't appear on.

DJR

KoRn started to totally suck after Hed went...and saying that Untouchables was only good for Here To Stay!!!??

I still go back sometimes to ST, LIP, FTL and Issues and think shit man you guys were pretty awesome! What happened?

x Rx King x

Quote from: DJR on Nov 08, 2012, 09:46 PM
KoRn started to totally suck after Hed went...and saying that Untouchables was only good for Here To Stay!!!??

I still go back sometimes to ST, LIP, FTL and Issues and think shit man you guys were pretty awesome! What happened?

I know man... everything beyond Untouchables, MAYBE TALITM is just garbage...

normsteez

Heads back? anyone give a fuck?
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

kurtone

Quote from: normsteez on May 04, 2013, 03:28 AM
Heads back? anyone give a fuck?

Lol that's what I thought when they announced it

Teknoman

well... i like what i hear on the trailer

http://youtu.be/W-4K4M_Kdd4

I make music too

digital bath

uhhhhmm... Head is back together with Korn?

nineteen

They always get so much shit and I'm not sure why. Loved Korn back in the day and a fan of their later stuff too.

SwerveCityUSA

I don't have a problem with Korn at all, i'm just not into that style of music, I could see maybe how they could play the same bill with the deftones between '93-'96, but even then Deftones have always been about R&B and melodies and have grown more and more into that each record. to me deftones has always been about powerful soul melodies and lyrics driven by the best guitar tone of all time.

And oh yes, about fame, do you really care about how well your favorite bands do on the charts or whatever? is that what attracts you to music, or the sound of it, what it says to your soul, how it makes you feel? If anything I like my favorite bands to just touch the mainstream enough to have success to keep they're thing going, that's it.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

Gee

No matter what you think about them, they had always been progressing artistically until Untouchables -to me that album stands next to their S/T and Issues as a classic. They had had a pretty impressive and interesting carreer til 2002.

Then the joke started in '03 with TALITM. SYOTOS was ok, had some good tracks but overall lacked Head's playing. Untitled (really? couldn't find a better name ?) was the same kind of album only less good. Then came the even lamer-titled Korn III blablablah -which made TALITM seems like a great album- and finally...Skrillex happened.

What happened to these guys seriously. I mean they never really had ethic -the adidas/puma partnerships, sucking MTV's dick with the contests and everything, "Y'all want a single fuck that"...gimme a break- but at least they were making good or even great music.

I'll check out a couple of live videos to see Head out of curiosity but they definitely lost me over the years of bullshit. And I mean, as a fan, I stuck for a while.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

normsteez

if david would join the band and they were whole again, it would be cool to seem them live again
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

digital bath

Quote from: normsteez on May 10, 2013, 02:18 AM
if david would join the band and they were whole again, it would be cool to seem them live again

I thought david is dead :(

black coffee

sometimes I wonder where people take their wrong information from in times of internet and search engines..

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186050

Media Mikes: Is there any chance [original KORN] drummer David Silveria will be back as well?

Welch: No. David has really said some crazy things online about personal things and he's not in a place where people would really want him around. That happened before I talked with them, but I guess the things he said were really crazy. Those guys were in a band together for so long, so I don't know, but for now it's just not going to happen.