Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Entertain Me: Promote This Movie

Started by bloody_liver, Apr 07, 2006, 05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

Quote from: Drop-Dead on Apr 13, 2006, 09:09 PM
the trailer

i guess...

That's weird, because it's still on Andrew Bennett's site...

The Captain

kickover

I'm wondering how much it would even cost Maverick to release this.  If its already finished, than all production costs should be taken care of (except for packaging and artwork perhaps).  I doubt that Andrew Bennett has already been paid for the video, since it hasn't been released, but i would be surprised if he expected much in the way of financial compensation.  The company has to be aware of the demand for Deftones material and should know that the dvd would sell at least 30 to 40 thousand copies in its first week (in America).  That would cover the costs of promotion and publication with enough revenue to make it all worthwhile.  I wish we had more information in regards to why Maverick won't put this out (besides it being "dark and depressing," because, you know thats some bullshit).   
You're a star, you blaze out like a sharp machine..

bloody_liver

i get the impression that something happened between deftones and maverick in the white pony days because they were getting so much promotional effort from the label i mean there were posters at every record store, there was an elaborate ep, and there was music video support. at the time they were talking about not only this documentary coming out but home movies too. so what happened? did maverick just turn into a bunch of assholes or is it really just about supply and demand?

DeftonesATF27

Quote from: bloody_liver on Apr 20, 2006, 07:01 PM
i get the impression that something happened between deftones and maverick in the white pony days because they were getting so much promotional effort from the label i mean there were posters at every record store, there was an elaborate ep, and there was music video support. at the time they were talking about not only this documentary coming out but home movies too. so what happened? did maverick just turn into a bunch of assholes or is it really just about supply and demand?

They were talking about making those videos before white pony.

I think this is more of a case of Dont know a thing cause im not in the fucking buisness.

bloody_liver

any myspace users copy and paste the following in bulletins, profiles, comments...

ENTERTAIN ME: A FILM ABOUT DEFTONES

DIRECTED BY ANDREWBENNETT

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j4CpAmuzStY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j4CpAmuzStY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed>

MAVERICK RECORDS DID NOT WANT TO RELEASE THIS MOVIE! IT WILL NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY UNLESS WE PROVE TO THEM THAT THIS DOCUMENTARY HAS SUPPORT OF IT'S FULL FAN BASE!

MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD AND SIGN THE PETITION @

http://www.petitiononline.com/tonesdvd/petition.html

kickover

Are we keeping this shit rollin?
You're a star, you blaze out like a sharp machine..

deftonekid

Gaz

deftonekid

Hidalgo

nothing like being on a label that won't promote your band one bit. they almost completely ignore deftones, & their fans. it makes me wonder why they ever signed them in the first place

Hidalgo

Quote from: Hidalgo on Apr 22, 2006, 03:38 AM
nothing like being on a label that won't promote your band one bit. they almost completely ignore deftones, & their fans. it makes me wonder why they ever signed them in the first place

deftonekid

ToneDef

What? They were the coolest label to sign to back then. The most easy going and relaxed out of all the labels who approached them. This was in 94 though, times change and so do label personnel.

EDIT: And think about it, way back then if you were a record company and it was your job to find artists who would hit the mainstream and sell well globally would you have signed the Deftones? No fucking way. Just because you like them it don't mean they'll sell well. They were a heavy ass, aggressive, inaccessible band at the start.. Definately not mainstream material. Maverick deserve props for signing them in the first place, being a cool label to the 'tones at the beginning and not dropping them by now.

Hidalgo

maverick drop them? hah. if anything they should drop maverick. they'd do fine without them, mainly because they have a diehard fanbase. tons of labels would wanna pick them up, & promote them better. shit, if horrible dog shit music like disturbed & nickelback can get mass radioplay(i think their labels pay mass cash to get them played), then Deftones can too(& they manage to sell well without radio). they just need a label that will get them airtime/attention

Hidalgo

greencard

^
I remember reading an article awhile ago, like late 90's in a guitar mag with the guitarists from Korn, Orgy, and Limp.

Anyway I remember Wes Borland was asked why he thought the deftones weren't as big as some other bands and Wes replied he thought the deftones weren't getting enough label support; advertising, marketing, etc.

It's kinda cool I think tho cuz they're not super big, but not that unkown. Knowwhutimean?

Hidalgo

hopefully family values will gain them a lot of new fans

fireflyry

I think it's their music more than any label laziness that has kept them off the radar, so to speak, and especially when compared to LB.

I don't know about the states but in New Zealand every Deftones album has had as much hype and marketing as any other band.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

DFTNSHXGRM

yes, their label does suck at promoting them. but really when you think about it.. you act like the deftones arent well known. the deftones are fucking big, they're practicaly a house-hold name.. just because they dont get played on MTV and on the radio all the time doesnt mean they dont get the attention they deserve. it just means that they arent selling out like korn, limp bizkit, ect.

tool and deftones are doing it the right way.. and they always have. sticking to being a big, major ass band but not being mainstream. its awesome. i think they'd hang it up before they sold out to the radio and MTV. and to be honest about it.. i'd hope that they'd do so.