Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Entertain Me: Promote This Movie

Started by bloody_liver, Apr 07, 2006, 05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireflyry

Have you seen the video for "Back to School"?

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Hidalgo

deftones are kinda like pantera, & slayer, in the fact that they get no almost no radio/mtv play yet still sell a lot of records, & still have a diehard following, & a long career. i think they've sold more records than slayer actually

it would be scary to see how big they could get if they got the attention they truly deserved

Hidalgo

Quote from: fireflyry on Apr 22, 2006, 12:59 PM
Have you seen the video for "Back to School"?
yea, that was the one time they gave into maverick & did something really cheesy. Chino really regrets the fact that BTS is on WP. he considers the first release the true WP

ToneDef

Quote from: greencard on Apr 22, 2006, 12:21 PM
^
I remember reading an article awhile ago, like late 90's in a guitar mag with the guitarists from Korn, Orgy, and Limp.

Anyway I remember Wes Borland was asked why he thought the deftones weren't as big as some other bands and Wes replied he thought the deftones weren't getting enough label support; advertising, marketing, etc.

It's kinda cool I think tho cuz they're not super big, but not that unkown. Knowwhutimean?

I totally agree man, They're kinda in the middle and I like it that way.

Quotehopefully family values will gain them a lot of new fans

I gotta disagree there. Hopefully it doesn't. Imagine if, for example, Deftones were as big as Korn. Basically the majority of people who will be at Family Values who aren't there to see the Deftones will probably be douches.

I've always wished the Deftones success. But I'll freely admit I'm glad they're not popular and if they did 'blow up' I'd be pretty fucking pissed off.

ToneDef

Quote from: DFTNSHXGRM on Apr 22, 2006, 12:55 PM
yes, their label does suck at promoting them. but really when you think about it.. you act like the deftones arent well known. the deftones are fucking big, they're practicaly a house-hold name.. just because they dont get played on MTV and on the radio all the time doesnt mean they dont get the attention they deserve. it just means that they arent selling out like korn, limp bizkit, ect.

tool and deftones are doing it the right way.. and they always have. sticking to being a big, major ass band but not being mainstream. its awesome. i think they'd hang it up before they sold out to the radio and MTV. and to be honest about it.. i'd hope that they'd do so.

Household name? I live in England, son. A household name here is Bruce Forsythe or Des Lynam. Very much not the Deftones. The status of them here is exactly how I like it and would rather it stayed.

Far away

Quote from: ToneDef on Apr 22, 2006, 02:13 PM

I've always wished the Deftones success. But I'll freely admit I'm glad they're not popular and if they did 'blow up' I'd be pretty fucking pissed off.

Ditto!

greencard

Quote from: fireflyry on Apr 22, 2006, 12:26 PM
I think it's their music more than any label laziness that has kept them off the radar, so to speak, and especially when compared to LB.

I don't know about the states but in New Zealand every Deftones album has had as much hype and marketing as any other band.

Personally, I think the deftones music has nothing to do with their lack of exposure. Musically I think they were (are) a lot more appealing than a lot of the other bands they were coming up to they got compared with like in the 90's (the whole nu-metal thing)

I mean they guitar wise they were just as heavy (well maybe heavier) than korn, limp, etc., but lyrically a lot more appealing and c'mon Chino's singing voice is way better than jon davis, fred durst, etc.

I really think it's a matter of marketing/advertising. But like I said they're not that unknown, but not super big like say Green Day. At least that's how I see it in the states. I mean look at  The Taste of Chaos tour. They headlined the biggest venue they could here in Sac, Arco Arena, but never headlined there before, in their own hometown

I'd venture to guess most people know who the deftones are, but unfortunatly marketing creates hype and hype creates mass appeal. But it could also create quicker downfall too which is why I think it''s good that the tones aren't like way big.

Far away

I'm glad they're in this position. I mean..

They have a way to live, feed their families, pay their bills (did i wrote right?!) and have some fun @ the same time, doing what they like to do.

They deserve a lot more of credit for some changes in the music history, since they start to jam and jump around the world, creating a new sound, better and more confident than kRon, limp bizkit and shit like that!

Maybe they're happy with all that they got through the years. I think the Deftones sound find the right persons. Its not that kind of sound that everyone can hear and feel!

fireflyry

Quote from: Far away on Apr 23, 2006, 01:14 PM
Its not that kind of sound that everyone can hear and feel!

Word.

(and your spelling was right)

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

DefUnNorma428

ok guys ive been absent from the board recently because my parents went away for a week so i filled that time with a party that sent me on a Calonapin Cocain and alcohol binge for a week but i have still been talking to bennett and although his schedual is really busy he is working on a statement...i dont want you guys to lose hope on this whole thing because it seems everyone has

kickover

Well i think we're just getting to where its like, "okay, what the fuck else do we do?"  Like, isn't it pointless to just keep whining about it on the board?  We all want it to come out, but i at least feel sorta helpless about it.
You're a star, you blaze out like a sharp machine..

sickened

Quote from: ToneDef on Apr 22, 2006, 02:13 PM

Yay! I'm not the only one who feels this way. I thought that I was a bad person because I didn't want them to be popular. I feel so relieved now.

DefUnNorma428

well i also didnt talk to bennett to give updates recently cuz my parents went away so i went on a binge...its was fucking rediculous but i kinda forgot about the outside world...but im back...he hasnt answered me yet but he checks his email like once every few days...hes busy shooting something right now

Hidalgo

every deftones fans wants this dvd, but yea, i think we all feel helpless about it anymore. almost like it's a lost cause

The Captain

Why are you only talking about it as a DVD? I think we should shoot for Film Festivals. This IS a film, it's right there in the title, it's not just a bunch of random live clips and funny shit.

Far away

Quote from: fireflyry on Apr 23, 2006, 01:16 PM
Quote from: Far away on Apr 23, 2006, 01:14 PM
Its not that kind of sound that everyone can hear and feel!

Word.

(and your spelling was right)

Gracias! :)

Quote from: DefUnNorma428 on Apr 26, 2006, 10:58 PM
i dont want you guys to lose hope on this whole thing because it seems everyone has

I have some hope.. (yet)! :)

hollywood

I just wish this would Leak online somewhere...like MIRC...just send it to someone accidentily and they won't be able to trace who leaked it.

DefUnNorma428

see the thing is for me to "accidentaly" send it to someone i would have to get the directer to send the thing to me...and it would be obvious who would have leaked it or got it to be leaked...plus i wont try that route untill im positive theres no way for this film to see the light of day

hollywood

well I don't know why the director would have to send it to you for it to be leaked...I don't even know who you are. But, a leak can happen anywhere at any time...the director just has to give a copy to somebody and have that person make a few copies and then have the thing ripped on a computer somewhere and added to a bot on a channel on MIRC. I'm sure that the director has made copies and given them out to some friends and executives for it to be viewed.

sleeptraveler

People have copies.  I know that for a fact.