Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

letters for chi/ fundraiser/ update and prayers

Started by jv_, Nov 04, 2008, 11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneloveforchi

Quote from: schwab on Mar 24, 2009, 09:01 AM
Gina, i just tried to send you a PM but it seems that your inbox is full....my message is in regards to a project im workin on, and in which i am in need of an image you have
thanks
schwab

sure - just go to www.oneloveforchi.com and click on the contact link.

thanks!

one love for chi,
gina
www.OneLoveForChi.com - Fundraising Site For Chi Cheng, Deftones Bass Player

Do you search the web? If so, you could be raising $0.02 for Chi Cheng! Go To: http://isearch.igive.com/?s=28&c=51176

oneloveforchi

Do you search the web? If so, you could be raising $0.02 for Chi Cheng! Go To: http://isearch.igive.com/?s=28&c=51176

oneloveforchi

Quote from: Martin on Mar 23, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hey Gina, thanks for the info. Thinking about recording a message.

please do. i have almost 20 minutes.. i would like to do 30.

one love for chi,
gina

Hidalgo

Quote from: oneloveforchi on Mar 24, 2009, 01:36 PM
Quote from: Hidalgo on Mar 23, 2009, 04:41 PM
Gina, are deftones gonna put the banner graphic for oneloveforchi.com up on their myspace? cause i think that would raise a lot more money. i dunno if they cant do it cause their label, or something dumb like that, but if they can they need to

chi's mom is getting in touch with them about it.

one love for chi,
gina
i just saw, they made a blog about it on their myspace. nice, that should help out a lot

oneloveforchi

Quote from: Hidalgo on Mar 24, 2009, 06:08 PM
Quote from: oneloveforchi on Mar 24, 2009, 01:36 PM
Quote from: Hidalgo on Mar 23, 2009, 04:41 PM
Gina, are deftones gonna put the banner graphic for oneloveforchi.com up on their myspace? cause i think that would raise a lot more money. i dunno if they cant do it cause their label, or something dumb like that, but if they can they need to

chi's mom is getting in touch with them about it.

one love for chi,
gina
i just saw, they made a blog about it on their myspace. nice, that should help out a lot

ya - it has so far - traffic is thru the roof now...

one love for chi,
gina

Scarf_Bitch

im sorta confused, is he aawake?
\

oneloveforchi

Quote from: Scarf_Bitch on Mar 24, 2009, 07:35 PM

he is in and out of his coma. there are updates on the www.oneloveforchi.com site on the family blog.

is also says 'mom' alot.

gina

Deftones-argentina

Searches have increased increidibly, too. good job people.

Scarf_Bitch

Quote from: oneloveforchi on Mar 24, 2009, 09:54 PM

he is in and out of his coma. there are updates on the www.oneloveforchi.com site on the family blog.

is also says 'mom' alot.

gina

o ok thnks clears it up bettter =]
\

Sugartolove

I recorded my message for Chi - thank you Gina for helping me  :) It means that once finished, Chi will get to hear MY very personal message - Imagine that.... I get to tell one of my biggest heroes just how much he means to me and how much he has meant over the years with Deftones.... How amazing is that!? And with Chi's amazing family reaching out to fans and methods like this to connect to Chi - it really does feel like people can make a difference to his recovery.
For which I am very grateful <3
Also very very happy that Chi is showing more progress.....!  :)

judy and Gina - lots of love to you both <3
:)

One love for Chi <3

oneloveforchi

Quote from: Sugartolove on Mar 25, 2009, 12:50 AM
I recorded my message for Chi - thank you Gina for helping me  :) It means that once finished, Chi will get to hear MY very personal message - Imagine that.... I get to tell one of my biggest heroes just how much he means to me and how much he has meant over the years with Deftones.... How amazing is that!? And with Chi's amazing family reaching out to fans and methods like this to connect to Chi - it really does feel like people can make a difference to his recovery.
For which I am very grateful <3
Also very very happy that Chi is showing more progress.....!  :)

judy and Gina - lots of love to you both <3
:)

One love for Chi <3

so glad you did. we have about 30 minutes now so i will be sending it off soon. i will let you know once i know he has heard it and how it went.

one love for chi,
gina

oneloveforchi

Quote from: Scarf_Bitch on Mar 24, 2009, 11:32 PM
Quote from: oneloveforchi on Mar 24, 2009, 09:54 PM

is also says 'mom' alot.

gina

you are welcome. if you sign up to follow the blog you will get updates.

thanks.

gina
www.oneloveforchi.com

o ok thnks clears it up bettter =]

Hell_Tanner

I've just checked the oneloveforchi blog and read Meng's new post. I'm quite puzzled by one of his phrase as english isn't my mother tongue... "He has come along way, but he's still healing. He still has a chunk of his skull sitting in a freezer that needs to be put back."
Sorry if I sound like a total idiot but is it supposed to be taken literally or is it just a way to say that he hasn't regain full consciousness yet, which we all know of course.

defTHE1s

Quote from: Hell_Tanner on Mar 26, 2009, 06:43 PM
I've just checked the oneloveforchi blog and read Meng's new post. I'm quite puzzled by one of his phrase as english isn't my mother tongue... "He has come along way, but he's still healing. He still has a chunk of his skull sitting in a freezer that needs to be put back."
Sorry if I sound like a total idiot but is it supposed to be taken literally or is it just a way to say that he hasn't regain full consciousness yet, which we all know of course.
maybe it's a way to say that...
hope it's not literally taken !

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Hell_Tanner

So it is indeed quite ambiguous... :-\ 

oneloveforchi

Hi everyone..

I wanted to thank everyone that has made donations. We are already almost at 50%. I wanted to share a question with you that I got on another site and share my answer as well. I am sure some of you either have the same question or have already asked it.. here goes...

Quote"To all of you that can't understand how a "rockstar" like Chi is having problems paying a "mere" little $750K hospital bill , you obviously know nothing about the music business. For far too long people have assumed that having musical notoriety is synonymous with wealth. This is FAR from the case.

Yes , they have sold more than 10 million records , but these days record sales represent one of the smaller fractions of a musicians income. In Chi's case , he is one fifth of the writing element of the Deftones , so he collects that portion of the publishing/record sales. After all of the pieces of the machine (nice term Jamez) take their cut , which comes BEFORE the band gets theirs , he is not left with nearly as much as the public assumes.

Touring is where bands like the Deftones stand to make their biggest profit. The math involved in that equation has FAR less people involved and taking cuts than the record sales side of things , and the Deftones can generate $30K a night on average in the US , and that's WITHOUT a "hit" single on the radio at the time.

While I AM trying to address the huge misconceptions about musicians' income , I by no means am saying that the band is not capable of generating the necessary funds. Sure , fans donating money will help , and I will be headed over to the donation site after I'm done writing this , but seriously , THE DEFTONES NEED TO GET A SUBSTITUTE BASS PLAYER , AND HIT THE ROAD AND START GETTING THIS CASH!!!!!

No f****ng joke , I'm sure there are tons of high profile bands that would also lend their support to playing a Chi benefit tour. Incubus , System of a Down would get back together in a heartbeat , Linkin Park (not a fan , but they'd draw a HUGE crowd) , and... well seriously , name a band that WOULDN'T throw down to help.

All I'm saying is that no matter how much money us fans manage to contribute , it wouldn't compare at ALL to the money that the Deftones (with a fill-in bass) and a couple other high-profile acts could generate in even one night.

What's the hold up??? Seriously ?? It sounds like a perfect idea to me. And screw all the scheduling conflicts or whatever other excuses that may arise. Chi's life and well-being are at stake here and the people he loves the most that also have the power to DO the most need to stop going on love-line , playing poker , watching LOST , and just BULL-sh****NG in general , and step up to the plate . I have loved the DEFTONES for so long , and they have meant so much to me over the years. I know they will throw down and handle this. I know they will.

-Bobby Coma"

my answer...

QuoteHi,

As you may or may not know... I put up this website on my own. The Cheng's did not ask me to do it in any way shape or form. Once I put it up they supported my efforts and are extremely gracious. I did this because although high profile bands like the Deftones CAN generate more than us little ole' fans can on the Internet in one night flat.. there are many fans that WANT to do something for Chi. They want a way to give back to someone who has given them everything he has thru music. I for one didn't want to sit helpless and do nothing and wait for the big boys to step in. I wanted to get proactive and do something for my brother Chi! And.. I am not alone in feeling this way. Also, for months there was just extreme lack of communications and updates on Chi's condition. Sure I could pick up the phone and call Chi's sister and hear of his progress... But the Internet community.. They didn't have this liberty... And we weren't getting any updates anywhere. With the great progress Chi has been making lately I wanted to create a way I could share this news with you all.

As far as your other comment "Chi's life and well-being are at stake here and the people he loves the most that also have the power to DO the most need to stop going on love-line , playing poker , watching LOST , and just BULL-sh****NG in general , and step up to the plate" I could not agree more. And I know his mother Jeanne would also agree 1000%. We hope they do organize a benefit/fundraiser. But until that happens - we are not going to sit back and wait. Jeff from WillHaven has held 3 events and I believe he is holding a 4th one. I have had emails coming in from people all over wanting to have benefits. I am working with Chi's mom now to set up a duplicatable system to organize these events. I heard from the bass player of Skinlab.. He wants to get involved. He already did one of Jeff's benefits in San Fran and wants to do one in Sacramento. I know Fieldy from Korn keeps in touch with Jeanne often and I believe he mentioned doing something.

Us little guys are going to do more tho. I have a t-shirt contest we are going to launch shortly, we are going to get flyers up, organizing local benefits and more.

I heard from the original promotion guy from Deftones first album.. He has offered his services for free to help me in promoting the website. That will help a ton.

This is all I know for now. But ya... You are so right.

One Love For Chi,
Gina

Updates: I added a newsletter to the www.oneloveforchi.com website to have a way to get news out quickly on Chi's progress. Also, there are new blogs posted on the family blog.. great news on there!!! Check it out: http://oneloveforchi.blogspot.com/. Chi is making great progress. I know he is going to love hearing the CD of fan's messages I am sending him today if he reacted that way to hearing me on the phone. I am considering this CD Vol. 1 so if you still want to record a message to Chi it can be on Vol. 2.

Take care all!

One Love For Chi,
Gina

oneloveforchi

Hi everyone..

I wanted to thank everyone that has made donations. We are already almost at 50%. I wanted to share a question with you that I got on another site and share my answer as well. I am sure some of you either have the same question or have already asked it.. here goes...

Quote"To all of you that can't understand how a "rockstar" like Chi is having problems paying a "mere" little $750K hospital bill , you obviously know nothing about the music business. For far too long people have assumed that having musical notoriety is synonymous with wealth. This is FAR from the case.

Yes , they have sold more than 10 million records , but these days record sales represent one of the smaller fractions of a musicians income. In Chi's case , he is one fifth of the writing element of the Deftones , so he collects that portion of the publishing/record sales. After all of the pieces of the machine (nice term Jamez) take their cut , which comes BEFORE the band gets theirs , he is not left with nearly as much as the public assumes.

Touring is where bands like the Deftones stand to make their biggest profit. The math involved in that equation has FAR less people involved and taking cuts than the record sales side of things , and the Deftones can generate $30K a night on average in the US , and that's WITHOUT a "hit" single on the radio at the time.

While I AM trying to address the huge misconceptions about musicians' income , I by no means am saying that the band is not capable of generating the necessary funds. Sure , fans donating money will help , and I will be headed over to the donation site after I'm done writing this , but seriously , THE DEFTONES NEED TO GET A SUBSTITUTE BASS PLAYER , AND HIT THE ROAD AND START GETTING THIS CASH!!!!!

No f****ng joke , I'm sure there are tons of high profile bands that would also lend their support to playing a Chi benefit tour. Incubus , System of a Down would get back together in a heartbeat , Linkin Park (not a fan , but they'd draw a HUGE crowd) , and... well seriously , name a band that WOULDN'T throw down to help.

All I'm saying is that no matter how much money us fans manage to contribute , it wouldn't compare at ALL to the money that the Deftones (with a fill-in bass) and a couple other high-profile acts could generate in even one night.

What's the hold up??? Seriously ?? It sounds like a perfect idea to me. And screw all the scheduling conflicts or whatever other excuses that may arise. Chi's life and well-being are at stake here and the people he loves the most that also have the power to DO the most need to stop going on love-line , playing poker , watching LOST , and just BULL-sh****NG in general , and step up to the plate . I have loved the DEFTONES for so long , and they have meant so much to me over the years. I know they will throw down and handle this. I know they will.

-Bobby Coma"

my answer...

QuoteHi,

As you may or may not know... I put up this website on my own. The Cheng's did not ask me to do it in any way shape or form. Once I put it up they supported my efforts and are extremely gracious. I did this because although high profile bands like the Deftones CAN generate more than us little ole' fans can on the Internet in one night flat.. there are many fans that WANT to do something for Chi. They want a way to give back to someone who has given them everything he has thru music. I for one didn't want to sit helpless and do nothing and wait for the big boys to step in. I wanted to get proactive and do something for my brother Chi! And.. I am not alone in feeling this way. Also, for months there was just extreme lack of communications and updates on Chi's condition. Sure I could pick up the phone and call Chi's sister and hear of his progress... But the Internet community.. They didn't have this liberty... And we weren't getting any updates anywhere. With the great progress Chi has been making lately I wanted to create a way I could share this news with you all.

As far as your other comment "Chi's life and well-being are at stake here and the people he loves the most that also have the power to DO the most need to stop going on love-line , playing poker , watching LOST , and just BULL-sh****NG in general , and step up to the plate" I could not agree more. And I know his mother Jeanne would also agree 1000%. We hope they do organize a benefit/fundraiser. But until that happens - we are not going to sit back and wait. Jeff from WillHaven has held 3 events and I believe he is holding a 4th one. I have had emails coming in from people all over wanting to have benefits. I am working with Chi's mom now to set up a duplicatable system to organize these events. I heard from the bass player of Skinlab.. He wants to get involved. He already did one of Jeff's benefits in San Fran and wants to do one in Sacramento. I know Fieldy from Korn keeps in touch with Jeanne often and I believe he mentioned doing something.

Us little guys are going to do more tho. I have a t-shirt contest we are going to launch shortly, we are going to get flyers up, organizing local benefits and more.

I heard from the original promotion guy from Deftones first album.. He has offered his services for free to help me in promoting the website. That will help a ton.

This is all I know for now. But ya... You are so right.

One Love For Chi,
Gina

Updates: I added a newsletter to the www.oneloveforchi.com website to have a way to get news out quickly on Chi's progress. Also, there are new blogs posted on the family blog.. great news on there!!! Check it out: http://oneloveforchi.blogspot.com/. Chi is making great progress. I know he is going to love hearing the CD of fan's messages I am sending him today if he reacted that way to hearing me on the phone. I am considering this CD Vol. 1 so if you still want to record a message to Chi it can be on Vol. 2.

Take care all!

One Love For Chi,
Gina

Hell_Tanner

I'm indeed a bit surprised by the band's lack of reaction...

White Wrist

Quote from: Hell_Tanner on Mar 27, 2009, 04:40 PM
I'm indeed a bit surprised by the band's lack of reaction...

oneloveforchi

Quote from: Hell_Tanner on Mar 26, 2009, 06:43 PM

you have to know Ming.. he has a certain way of getting things across.. chi had surgery in which they had to remove a small section of his skull/bone - this is what he is referring to. the bone has not been put back yet.

one love for chi,
gina