Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Dredg

Started by Martin, Dec 12, 2009, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decapod

Quote from: Starz on Apr 10, 2011, 12:37 AM
The new record sounds boring and lazy. To me, sitting at home writing music and then e-mailing the files to other band members so they can work on the part is just a complete NO. They should be all in a room together jamming out ideas. Also, the production sounds so weak, could have been mixed a lot better but I'll wait until I have the physical CD.

Def agree that the production is off. The vocals are mixed waaaaay to high in the mix, and substituting human interaction for cyber writing is lame as hell so I'm with you on that also, Starz. I can't help but dig the album though... It's their weakest release but enjoyable to my ears nonetheless.

bright lights, big city

Meshuggah do cyber writing, yet still put out amazing records. Then again that could be a moot point since you guys probably don't like them.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Oldnewtype

To me, sitting at home writing music and then e-mailing the files to other band members so they can work on the part is just a complete NO.

Thats what Mike Patton and all of the other artists did with Peeping Tom and that came out amazing.

decapod

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Apr 10, 2011, 03:50 PM
Meshuggah do cyber writing, yet still put out amazing records. Then again that could be a moot point since you guys probably don't like them.

Meshuggah is one of my all time favorite bands, bright.

Caín

and yet they never managed to write a record as great as destroy, erase, improve again.

from_musings

hmm.. I had a bad feeling about the record before it was leaked but it was actually worse than I had Imagined. But dredg will probably always be regarded as great because of the two first records regardless of how much non-good music they release so no immediate danger for them. It's just a shame that they abandoned the guitars for electronic beats and i think the song material is disappointing too. 2:40 to 3:03 in another tribe's is great i think, but other than that i can't find myself reacting in a positive way any other time during listening to it.
And why do they release the ornament once again? didn't they put words on the outro to Matroshka when they toured cwa years ago? it would be more appropriate on a b-side back in 2005-2006, not on a new dredg album.a bit unimaginative for a band like dredg- for the old dredg anyway :) sorry i will go moan somewhere else

Starz

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Apr 10, 2011, 04:50 PM
To me, sitting at home writing music and then e-mailing the files to other band members so they can work on the part is just a complete NO.

Thats what Mike Patton and all of the other artists did with Peeping Tom and that came out amazing.

Peeping Tom was ok. Deftones did the same with Saturday Night Wrist and most of that album is shit (imo). I just think a band like Dredg should embrace their musical talents and be in a room together feeding off of each other, much like with the scenario behind Diamond Eyes. They're obviously influenced by a lot of electronica music now days, maybe that's why they chose Dan to help produce it. But the new record comes across sounding like a bunch of guys were sitting at home fucking about with a bunch of toys and e-mailing each other the results. Dredg are better than that. Just sayin'...

Crazylegs

they should've just disbanded after el cielo and they would be legendary.

Caín

Quote from: Crazylegs on Apr 10, 2011, 08:02 PM

yep. just like deftones, if they disbanded after white pony.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Caín on Apr 10, 2011, 05:44 PM

and yet they never managed to write a record as great as destroy, erase, improve again.
well you sure are a downer.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

bewareofrats

New album sucks.  I agree, I don't like the production and the album is incredibly boring to me.  It was literally a chore to get through it.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Slacker

Quote from: Caín on Apr 10, 2011, 08:40 PM
Quote from: Crazylegs on Apr 10, 2011, 08:02 PM

yep. just like deftones, if they disbanded after white pony.

awesome

bewareofrats

Quote from: Starz on Apr 08, 2011, 02:46 PM
It's definitely better than The Pariah but jeez the new record is boringgggggg  ::)

HA! The last album COMPLETELY DESTROYS the new album and is their best album.  Chuckles is a boring piece of garbage.

I don't know what Jacob is talking about with them turning into a pop band with Pariah.  Catch Without Arms was more poppy than Pariah.

bewareofrats

Quote from: theis on Apr 09, 2011, 12:11 AM
Where I'll End Up - worst song. maybe the worst dredg song ever.
Hahaha, that's hilarious because out of this whole boring album that is the most enjoyable song for me.  Honestly.  It was one of the very few songs I didn't mind.

theis

Apparently the leak is from a webstream...hence to dodgy production.

mr.sinister

Yeah I was going to listen to it, but the file size was way too small, so I didn't even bother. I'll just wait until the release date or until a better quality leak surfaces. This album has been getting a lot of shit, but I think it sounds pretty sweet and fresh from what I heard on Amazon. I agree that it will probably be their worst album,, but nevertheless I do seem to like every record they put out. Each album has its own distinctive sound and I like that. I think Chuckles is just an album they wanted to experiment and have fun with regardless of critic reception.

mr.sinister

bewareofrats

I'm all for experimentation if that leads to something interesting but I just found myself bored out of my mind while listening to this. 

Maybe a better leak will help but it can't save this.

An bád dubh

This sounds to me like a dance band on a cruise ship between Finland and Sweden, after the bingo and the evening show for the whole family. Now its time for the elderly couples to dance after having some drinks. Some small children are also dancing in front of the stage, holding each others' hands, with glow sticks in their hands. The dance band is happy, they're all smiling, theyre indeed playing the best covers to fit the evening, so that everyone can dance. Some might even dare to ask for a stranger to dance, but just to go on to separate ways after the song is over.

Am I just having a bad day or are others also as disappointed with what theyre hearing right now?

Menos el Oso

The only songs that I can listen to from the new album is: Another Tribe, Upon Returning, Somebody is Laughing, The Ornament, The Thought of Losing You,  and the Sun Goes Down.
The rest I just end up skipping.