Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

Quote from: LG95 on Feb 20, 2016, 04:16 PM
Well, I mean he does say he'll never leave the band so I wouldn't be overly concerned about that.

There have been creative differences for a long time and the albums have never been anything other than great so I don't see why that won't be the case for Gore. It is jarring to read him admit their differences the way he has done there though.

The wording seems like he's saying he won't leave the band he started, the mindset they were in, etc., but the band is moving away from him and becoming almost a completely different band. Either way, I hope they resolve things and I hope Steph can have more say in the direction they take on the next album, because he seems to have been taking a backseat for quite a while now.

Reichward

It came to my mind that if the band isn't going to play Phantom Bride live and can't afford Jerry Cantrell, it won't be a single. Making a song mainstream although you can't have it played live seems like a poor commercial strategy. I'm really beginning to doubt the rumors that it will be Single #2.

Shadow46/2

Quote from: Reichward on Feb 21, 2016, 11:58 AM
It came to my mind that if the band isn't going to play Phantom Bride live and can't afford Jerry Cantrell, it won't be a single. Making a song mainstream although you can't have it played live seems like a poor commercial strategy. I'm really beginning to doubt the rumors that it will be Single #2.
Leathers & Mein

Edit: not disagreeing about it being a poor commercial strategy, but it hasn't stopped them before.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

snw9

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Feb 21, 2016, 04:42 PM
Leathers & Mein

Edit: not disagreeing about it being a poor commercial strategy, but it hasn't stopped them before.

If the song is appealing and sells, why not make it a single to boost sales? I am sure someone or Steph can pull off the solo. There is always a way.
Code: [Select]

sing blue silver

Leathers & Mein

Leathers was actually played live a couple times early on. Chino soon realized it was too hard to sing and they stopped playing it after only a few times.

sharinglungs

Quote from: snw9 on Feb 21, 2016, 07:50 PM
Leathers & Mein

If the song is appealing and sells, why not make it a single to boost sales? I am sure someone or Steph can pull off the solo. There is always a way.

can and will are different things. stef wont do it.

Penicks

judging from his chugga chugganess of the past two albums and his own words, it's safe to say that he's not going to do anything

guizz

I'm sure Warner Brothers, and the rest of the band, are very impressed with this interview (sarcasm). I wouldn't be surprised if Stephen get in trouble after this interview. But I respect a man that says things how he sees it, no bullshit. But honestly, it's not the first time i hear Stephen being unhappy about the path deftones are taking, and if I remember well, Steph didn't feel great about White Pony too (my fav deftones album). Personally, I think Stephen has been the weakest link creatively for deftones for quite a while, and his influences aren't really my cup of tea, so honestly for me this is good news.

But I think it's a dumb move from him to talk negatively about his own band album before its release.

King Leer

It must suck so bad to be ousted out of the band you created. i hate to say it but everyone knows he's been slacking off for a while now which sucks because he's a great part of the band. maybe chi's death had a negative impact in him this way. who knows.

E-Money

Quote from: guizz on Feb 22, 2016, 04:01 PM
I'm sure Warner Brothers, and the rest of the band, are very impressed with this interview (sarcasm). I wouldn't be surprised if Stephen get in trouble after this interview. But I respect a man that says things how he sees it, no bullshit. But honestly, it's not the first time i hear Stephen being unhappy about the path deftones are taking, and if I remember well, Steph didn't feel great about White Pony too (my fav deftones album). Personally, I think Stephen has been the weakest link creatively for deftones for quite a while, and his influences aren't really my cup of tea, so honestly for me this is good news.

But I think it's a dumb move from him to talk negatively about his own band album before its release.

Absolutely agree. I'm not going to bash Steph because he's made some of my absolute favorite riffs of all time. I personally feel like he hasn't really done anything special during the last 2 records. Almost like he's held them back. This is completely my opinion but to me has hasn't created a riff even close to BQAD or MOS since he left the 6 string . I really feel like he wrote his heaviest and best riffs on the 6 and I really miss that.

Last thing I'm gonna say. How great could Rosemary have been? Steph could have stepped it up but instead we have this boring repeating riff that goes on forever. I hope he proves me wrong on this record and writes awesome riffs on the 8. His work on Prayers seems pretty interesting to me!

Far away

Bands split up all the time because of "creative differences". Hes been playing with the same guys since 88. Maybe he had other plans and things started to go south (for him) musically. I can understand, I mean, hes the metal head in the band after all, and they are getting softer in the last few years. (And I'm not complaining, I just think Stef is the one who prolly want a little more of the old tunes, and thats just a guess anyway...).

But again, maybe he was just venting some things from his mind. I agree with guizz, it was a terrible place to do it though, in a magazine where everyone can read and freak out.

ANattyRat

Quote from: Far away on Feb 23, 2016, 03:56 AM
Bands split up all the time because of "creative differences". Hes been playing with the same guys since 88. Maybe he had other plans and things started to go south (for him) musically. I can understand, I mean, hes the metal head in the band after all, and they are getting softer in the last few years. (And I'm not complaining, I just think Stef is the one who prolly want a little more of the old tunes, and thats just a guess anyway...).

But again, maybe he was just venting some things from his mind. I agree with guizz, it was a terrible place to do it though, in a magazine where everyone can read and freak out.

Bands to split up all the time, but not Deftones. The same members since forever, minus Chi, but that's not the same thing, of course. Hopefully they can find a way to make everyone happy, because based on what Steph said, it sounds like he's got the least say in the direction they go.

That said, he's the only person in a band, who is (presumably) passionate about music, that I've ever heard talk about music the way he has. Almost like he doesn't even want to be a better guitarist or expand on his playing, that he's happy not being that good, technically, and doesn't want to even really bother experimenting. Very odd.

therealdaebat

---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

Far away

Quote from: ANattyRat on Feb 23, 2016, 04:47 AM

Bands to split up all the time, but not Deftones. The same members since forever, minus Chi, but that's not the same thing, of course. Hopefully they can find a way to make everyone happy, because based on what Steph said, it sounds like he's got the least say in the direction they go.

Yeah, I hope you are right. I didnt to mean to say they would break up, but who knows? Stef sounded a little... frustrated (?!).

That said, he's the only person in a band, who is (presumably) passionate about music, that I've ever heard talk about music the way he has. Almost like he doesn't even want to be a better guitarist or expand on his playing, that he's happy not being that good, technically, and doesn't want to even really bother experimenting. Very odd

It's funny how he does not give a fuck about getting better, lol.

Tyson71485

The part that stood out to me about Stephs interview was the part that he says they have issues and he doesn't want to leave home. That whole paragraph just kinda sounded weird to me. maybe the Paris events shook him up more than he shows cause he's always a pretty happy guy. Just my 2 cents.

Bifrost

That said, he's the only person in a band, who is (presumably) passionate about music, that I've ever heard talk about music the way he has. Almost like he doesn't even want to be a better guitarist or expand on his playing, that he's happy not being that good, technically, and doesn't want to even really bother experimenting. Very odd.

IMO ever since Stef went +6 strings his play has just plateaued, he goes for the super low end sound rather than pushing himself riff-wise, he still pulls out some good stuff here and there but I miss the ole' days where you had those super memorable riffs (like MOS and Passenger). And he has had endless issues with his tone since then as well. He shoulda just kept the 6 strings and the Line 6/Marshall set up he had.

from_musings

Quote from: Far away on Feb 23, 2016, 05:13 PM

That said, he's the only person in a band, who is (presumably) passionate about music, that I've ever heard talk about music the way he has. Almost like he doesn't even want to be a better guitarist or expand on his playing, that he's happy not being that good, technically, and doesn't want to even really bother experimenting. Very odd

It's funny how he does not give a fuck about getting better, lol.

he seemed in a better mood here though:

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=Rqj4vPDyVSI&p=n#/219;262

from_musings

i always prefered stephen based songs like the entire adrenaline record, feiticeira,korea,passenger,bloody cape etc. but when stef hasn't been practicing his guitar, and only been deep into tone,gear and whatnot, maybe chino and sergio is all for stef's metal ideas, it's just that the ideas suck?

downtownpony

Quote from: from_musings on Feb 24, 2016, 11:33 AM
i always prefered stephen based songs like the entire adrenaline record, feiticeira,korea,passenger,bloody cape etc. but when stef hasn't been practicing his guitar, and only been deep into tone,gear and whatnot, maybe chino and sergio is all for stef's metal ideas, it's just that the ideas suck?

I don't actually believe he's been deep into getting his tone dialed in just right. That's mostly an excuse for being lazy (420blazer).
Granted, I've only heard three songs from the new album, so I could be missing the songs that showcase his tonal effort.