Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

RIP

Started by There Will Be Blood, Jun 21, 2011, 02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyalDeftonicBoy

RIP Wayne Static :(
He left us at 48 and he for sure left his mark in the music :(

Northcal

Rip saw him  at ozzfest 2000 he rocked that bitch!

deftones47

Wayne Static has entered the Shadow Zone.

R.I.P.  :'(

chick de la lynch

Wow, that's crazy! He definitely had the most impressive hair in the business. :(

N0S3BLEED976

RIP Jonathan Athon. Man....

theis

deftones47

Musicians are dropping like flies.

Frankz0r

It's shitty how musician ruin their awesome life just because drug abuse.

Are the guys (deftones) so stoners/drug addicts? I know stef does weed and chino used to but I really don't know.

N0S3BLEED976

Stef smokes weed frequently and Chino and the rest of the bunch only occasionally. But that won't kill them. They laid down all the hard stuff as they grew older.

But I have to disagree with "ruining their awesome life". Sometimes, despite all the fame and success, life can be not so awesome at times for a musician and that's why they turn to drugs. I think it can be hard to comprehend as an outsider and fan, but there's always more going on behind the scenes of a musicians life

DeftonesNZ

Yeah I've heard musicians say they needed the drugs to cope with the change of pace, they would go from touring all over the world to being back home or in studio at a much slower pace and it fucked with their heads but the drugs allowed them to get that fix that touring and partying usually provided. A musicians life is definitely not great especially if you're younger and new to it all, look at Chino he missed a shit ton of his kids childhoods and ended up divorced because he was young and ended getting consumed by the party lifestyle, luckily he survived the drug use and managed to keep a relationship with his kids he could have easily overdosed or lost or ties with his kids.

black coffee

but Chino is not really the ideal example for the point you made there.
He had tons of fun with his band over the years, probably banged a lot of groupies, toured all the continents of the earth and made some nice money as well. And even considering the downsides of all that, the divorce, not seeing his kids for long episodes, its the life he chose and its a really good one. Not everyone does drugs like cocaine or weed to cope with something, for some its just fun to blast themselves away, and I imagine it would be a lof of fun after performing in front of an audience.

Crazylegs

Taking drugs to cope with a change of pace is a bullshit excuse, unless you're mentally unstable. Like Black Coffee says, they do drugs to get fucked up.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: black coffee on Dec 09, 2014, 03:10 PM
but Chino is not really the ideal example for the point you made there.
He had tons of fun with his band over the years, probably banged a lot of groupies, toured all the continents of the earth and made some nice money as well. And even considering the downsides of all that, the divorce, not seeing his kids for long episodes, its the life he chose and its a really good one. Not everyone does drugs like cocaine or weed to cope with something, for some its just fun to blast themselves away, and I imagine it would be a lof of fun after performing in front of an audience.
Yeah because as I said he was lucky, Chino has said many times during the years he should have died when he was young and feels luck is was on his side, he said he put his life at risk too much because he felt he had to experience it all and that caused him to over indulge. He's alluded to how he got addicted to drugs as-well saying it starts out as a party thing but then follows you.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Crazylegs on Dec 09, 2014, 03:25 PM
Taking drugs to cope with a change of pace is a bullshit excuse, unless you're mentally unstable. Like Black Coffee says, they do drugs to get fucked up.
Yeah you're right I don't think it's a good excuse but it happens a lot a musicians life isn't the best for mental stability, imagine your touring for a year doing a show and partying every night and then you go home and there's nothing happening that's got to fuck with your head, you've been riding this big wave of euphoria and then all the sudden you're expected to slot back into domestic life, I don't approve of it but I can at least see why it happens.

black coffee

I understand this is your favorite band and you take what they say at face value, but I strongly doubt it that Chino "should have died". Don't forget these guys are sometimes exaggerating in interviews, Chino especially. I remember an interview in which he said the band will be over if one of them leaves quits or dies. Now they're working on album #3 without Chi. These are normal people and Chino tends to get a little dramatic, I wouldn't put too much in it.

DeftonesNZ

Not the case you're just assuming things about me, I used judgement just like anyone does this was a more recent interview not back in the days when Chino would just talk shit and he wasn't bragging about getting fucked up on  drugs and having threesomes he basically said his mentality was that he was young and should be experiencing everything possible to get the most out of it but he ended up living a very dangerous lifestyle that could have killed him.

I'm surprised you find it hard to believe, over indulgence a pretty common psychology response to mass exposure, even I knew young people who turned 18 moved out of home and developed unhealthy addictions to drugs and alcohol when it became available to them so with those things considered I'm inclined to believe he could of done the same and it's already pretty widely known he did heroin and cocaine now add in the other drugs/alcohol and it's easy to see how he could of died.

black coffee

well if someone uses the nickname DeftonesNZ on a deftones forum, I'd say its not completely out of the blue to assume its their favorite band ;)
But yes you say it yourself. People move out from their parents place into their own apartment or a dorm room and do all the things they couldn't before. Doesn't mean anyone gets addictions and dies from them.

anyways I know its none of my business, but how old are you? I'm kinda curious.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah they are my favourite band but I listen to lots of music, I get what you meant but I don't really get into the band member fan boy thing I just like the music I fully realise Chino can be a dick I just didn't think he was on that occasion, I'm 21 years old so it's kind of a thing I'm noticing now a lot of the people I know moved out and experimented a bit and are fine but I've seen there are some who have a problem now.

Penicks

joe fucking cocker

DeftonesNZ

Damn my parents and their friends loved this guy some of my earliest memories growing up had Joe Cocker playing in the background. R.I.P