Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nineteen

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 25, 2020, 07:39 PM
Quote from: nineteen on Sep 25, 2020, 07:21 PM
Given it a handful of listens now. It's such a complex album to me, so it makes me feel like it's super accessible but at the same time one that will take waaaay more listens for it to sink in.

A sign of a great album.

Time will determine where it sits in their discography but it'll be up there for sure.

Yeah, I definitely feel like it's one of their more complex. I've listened to it numerous times and I enjoy it quite a bit but I feel like I still haven't fully wrapped my head around it yet.

One of the things I'm noticing is it feels like the songs take their time building, as opposed to, say, the more simple, to the point songs on Diamond Eyes. Maybe due to the longer time lengths?

Yeah for sure! The structures feel super random but I wonder if the different tracks lengths like you say and the unusual melodies mask it all.

Mixed emotions on the whole album but all in a good way. It's weird!

from_musings

from_musings

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 25, 2020, 08:04 PM
Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 25, 2020, 08:01 PM
Quote from: from_musings on Sep 25, 2020, 08:00 PM
Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 25, 2020, 07:49 PM
10 million albums sold worldwide, and diehard fans

Last i heard was 7.5 million, and that was stated last week.
Maybe that was just u.s sales though
5.5 million U.S., 4.5 rest of the world

Thats awesome. 10000002 now ,just ordered the cd and lp.
Do you have a link?

Hidalgo

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 25, 2020, 08:02 PM
Change is a hit. It might not get mega radio play but it's a hit alright. The sort of song that's recognisable to rock and alternative fans of that era who may not have really listened to the band.
is it played more where any of you live? cause here (ohio, cincinnati area) it's been since at least 2003 that i last heard it, and i might not have even heard it once that year, might be remembering wrong, but i think it was played once in lead up to Minerva being played. it was played a good amount for 10 months to a year after it first hit the radio in 2000, then nothing whatsoever. any different where some of you live?

Hidalgo

Do you have a link?
a link for what their sales? there's a bunch of articles that say 10 million worldwide the past 2 years or so. wikipedia has gone with it and won't erase it, and the math seems to add up. i think the sales figure was released by their label

N0S3BLEED976

Urantia is one of the best songs they've ever written. The vocal melody and drums are *chef's kiss*

LG95

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 25, 2020, 08:07 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 25, 2020, 08:02 PM
Change is a hit. It might not get mega radio play but it's a hit alright. The sort of song that's recognisable to rock and alternative fans of that era who may not have really listened to the band.
is it played more where any of you live? cause here (ohio, cincinnati area) it's been since at leasy 2003 that i last heard it, and i might not have even heard it one that year, might be remembering wrong, but i think it was played once in lead up to Minerva being played. it was played a good amount for 10 months to a year after it first hit the radio in 2000, then nothing whatsoever. any different where some of you live?
I think you'll have to define what you're classifying as a hit. It was an alternative hit, not a mainstream one. And I'm not saying it's anywhere near Last Resort or something like that. But it was big enough that it crossed over, through film soundtracks and playlists, to people who don't know the band.
I could float here forever

from_musings

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 25, 2020, 08:09 PM

Do you have a link?
a link for what their sales? there's a bunch of articles that say 10 million worldwide the past 2 years or so. wikipedia has gone with it and won't erase it, and the math seems to add up. i think the sales figure was released by their label

Ok i haven't been following them the last 2y,its just that they said 7.5million in a ohms interview the other day, but i really hope its 10  :D

LG95

A reminder that this is happening on Sunday:

https://twitter.com/DanielPCarter/status/1309525822856925186?s=19
QuoteSunday night on @Radio1RockShow  I'm playing the fantastic new @deftones album 'Ohms' in full along with interviews with the band about its creation. PLUS some choice stuff from the BBC archives...
@BBCR1 from 9pm
#Deftones #ohms https://t.co/zcCIsBNHcj

Not a regular thing for him to play a new album in full on that show.

lungdamage

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 25, 2020, 06:10 PM
Quote from: lungdamage on Sep 25, 2020, 05:56 AM
Don't know if this was posted yet.

https://omny.fm/shows/triple-m-rock-interviews/deftones-talk-new-album-ohms?fbclid=IwAR1Ed-5RwO9XOhIT1vrChDwlRD38PtR2Rt_SLT7ZrvSPY9cbZHlspMm70bo

TSOM was the last song written for the album - in the studio, after abe and sergio were just messing around and chino sneakily said to record them from the other room :)
he also said there was a finished song(musically) that he tried and tried to make lyrics and melodies for, but just couldn't get there and had to walk away. so there went our 11th song, lol.

Yeah, it just didn't work out. The last track recorded that made it on to the record was TSOM.

nicklav

Go back and finish it Chino! Terry is only a short drive away!

Inkblades

I love how we as fans can pull the "But Terry only lives three hours away from you, Chino!" card now. Just go live in the camper in Terry's driveway and get to making more music!

Hidalgo

Quote from: lungdamage on Sep 25, 2020, 08:33 PM
Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 25, 2020, 06:10 PM
Quote from: lungdamage on Sep 25, 2020, 05:56 AM
Don't know if this was posted yet.

https://omny.fm/shows/triple-m-rock-interviews/deftones-talk-new-album-ohms?fbclid=IwAR1Ed-5RwO9XOhIT1vrChDwlRD38PtR2Rt_SLT7ZrvSPY9cbZHlspMm70bo

TSOM was the last song written for the album - in the studio, after abe and sergio were just messing around and chino sneakily said to record them from the other room :)
he also said there was a finished song(musically) that he tried and tried to make lyrics and melodies for, but just couldn't get there and had to walk away. so there went our 11th song, lol.

Yeah, it just didn't work out. The last track recorded that made it on to the record was TSOM.
very interesting. so anyone wondering why this has only 10 tracks, that explains it. he tried hard, but just couldn't come up with anything good enough

Draken

It's been really interesting listening to others opinions on this album. I'm several listens in at this point and I can safely point to my favorites on this album. Every Deftones album for me does this thing where I go through system shock at first listen because I have no idea where the music will go. But after having a night to really digest it I'll say:

(this is just my opinion, don't be mad at me  :-*)
I just knew Ceremony would be one of my favorites, the chorus (not just vocals but also the instrumental rhythm) is absolutely one of the catchiest they've done in awhile.

Urantia is gorgeous, top track for me. However only one negative I can say, (and it's not really a negative) is the beginning of the song (to use a metaphor) is like when your dad tells you you're going on a ride with him in his old 1961 ferrari 250GT and you're like "fuck yeah we're gonna blow the roof off this bitch" but then ya'll get out and just cruise and have a nice memorable day of bonding. The song just goes in the opposite direction of where I thought it was going but that's not a bad thing. I love the groove on this one, and the chorus is great.

The Spell of Mathematics... is... my... jam. This song is like auditory sex... and when you listen with the track visualizer it's fuckin rad. GAWD that chorus "I believe your love has placed its spell on me" sounds like R&B or something, I can't describe it, it's just sexy AF. I see what people were saying about it. Favorite track easily.

Pompeji is an interesting track but not at all what I was expecting. Tell you the truth, I don't know what I was expecting. It's a slower song than I had imagined. I thought the seagulls fit very well with the song, and that outro is gorgeous too. Kinda reminds me of Twin Peaks music, as a matter of fact, a lot of the album gives me those feels.

This Link Is Dead isn't my cup of tea. Not hearing what others are hearing. Maybe just me but I hear some Faith No More on this track. I just don't think of it as "heavy" or "angry". WGTB will continue to be the heaviest and most pissed they've ever been. The vocal effect/delivery is present but that's where the comparison ends for me.

Radiant City is a rather strange track... I dunno how to feel about it yet. Error is not doing it for me much either, but I do like the chorus. Headless sounds a little like the sequel to Xenon, but like Terminator 2 sequel, not Speed 2 sequel. (I'm old that's the reference I'm going with) I like that track a lot.

Overall I think the best songs were the singles, along with Ceremony, Urantia, and TSOM. Genesis is just a fucking banger, Deftones doing what Deftones do; and the title track Ohms is a great closer to a rather great album. If I could describe the sound of the album I'd say it's like all their previous albums having an orgy. The production was stellar but I felt at times like they still have a problem with the vocals resting on top of the music too much. Like Chino's mix is loud and has that reverberating effect, idk for some reason he just wants that echoey effect there. Doesn't bother me like it did on Gore, I just still noticed it. That being said, it's a vast improvement over Gore. It's a solid 8/10 for me.

Speedking

Re-reg account here from the days of waiting for SNW, the smoking avatar guy, the Lovecraft guy, and the guy who posted as Sammy Davis Jr going on about being buck naked all the time (maybe you had to be there). Tried and failed to reopen my old account but maybe a good thing not to have to re-acquaint myself with 24 year-old me.

Anyway. Great album, not blown away on the first listen but liking it more each time, and I'd place 'Genesis' and 'Spell' and 'Pompeji' in the top tier Tones material personally.  I think this has the strongest opener since Hexagram in terms of impact, although as a song Praters/Triangles is fairly impeccable to my ears. I also do dig 'Ceremony' and 'Radiant', with 'Headless' growing on me (the one place I was reminded of ATF).

'Urantia' has that major-ish melody thing they did all over Gore but with good production. 'Link' has little to do with the song it's been compared to IMO, and it's very post HC to me. Wonder it Sergio had a strong hand on it as a result.

Some of the atmospheric parts and segues throughout the album are exceptional.

I think the songs are no more complex than a lot of the last two albums tbh, just think they have had less time to sink in. If you think back to Rosemary for instance, or Riviere, it's a bit like that for the main, this isn't Justice or Opeth.

Got the (black) vinyl and CD through today and listened to the lossy rip a few times the day it came out, put it to bed for release then. The CD is a marked improvement on the rip (obviously).

I have to say the vinyl isn't brilliant to my ears. The treble is reeaaaally sibilant at times and it sounds compressed, don't think it's been hugely worked on as a specific vinyl mastering. A nice keepsake for likely the only new release I'll buy on vinyl in this strange piece of time though and good to support the band. You'd do fine just buying the CD IMO.

The packaging on both sucks a bit. Great booklet and photography and what I think will become an iconic cover placed onto crappy thin card. The CD barely fits in, and I thought the Gore digipack was bad. The lyric sheet in my LP has a big, scored dog-ear fold too. Lovely. Also a cheap paper inner sleeve for the LP, I hate these, they stick to the wax with static and I always have to clean paper debris (of the past) off them. It's been replaced.

It's not beaten Koi as record of the Sergio era for me, I'd place it alongside Diamond Eyes and above Gore however. It's been a trip for sure.

Apologies about the long post.

beansandcornbread

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 25, 2020, 01:05 PM
Oh and my wife's COVID test came back negative so this is a really good day. Wow, just listening to the ending of 'Error'. Wow.

Very Palms-ish.

SMLiberator

The Guardian gave Ohms the only review below 8/10 so far, with 6/10

How can you give this album anything less than 8/10? Like, fuck the guardian amirite?
i'm confused??

LG95

Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 25, 2020, 10:04 PM
The Guardian gave Ohms the only review below 8/10 so far, with 6/10

How can you give this album anything less than 8/10? Like, fuck the guardian amirite?
The rating didn't really bother me. It's the review itself that's silly. Take this for example:

QuoteNonetheless, their experimental bent doesn't dampen their music's equally potent hit of 1990s nostalgia: their ninth album, Ohms, feels more pre-9/11 America than Fred Durst's backward caps. The guitars thrash, the drums are punishingly thwacked, and everything is presented with that slick-on-the-ear nu-metal production style once helped the genre become a pop-culture phenom.

SMLiberator

Well their opinion is wrong.
i'm confused??

Visionz

Quote from: nineteen on Sep 25, 2020, 08:03 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 25, 2020, 07:39 PM
Quote from: nineteen on Sep 25, 2020, 07:21 PM
Given it a handful of listens now. It's such a complex album to me, so it makes me feel like it's super accessible but at the same time one that will take waaaay more listens for it to sink in.

A sign of a great album.

Time will determine where it sits in their discography but it'll be up there for sure.

Yeah, I definitely feel like it's one of their more complex. I've listened to it numerous times and I enjoy it quite a bit but I feel like I still haven't fully wrapped my head around it yet.

One of the things I'm noticing is it feels like the songs take their time building, as opposed to, say, the more simple, to the point songs on Diamond Eyes. Maybe due to the longer time lengths?

Yeah for sure! The structures feel super random but I wonder if the different tracks lengths like you say and the unusual melodies mask it all.

Mixed emotions on the whole album but all in a good way. It's weird!

All this. For sure. Definitely signs of a great album. Like a fine wine for me right now already.