Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LG95

Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 25, 2020, 07:20 PM
Well their opinion is wrong.
Yeah. But if a 6/10 is interesting and well written, with a level of understanding, then I don't mind as much, even if I pretty strongly disagree. This guy clearly didn't know what he was talking about.
I could float here forever

Visionz

Loving all of your reviews btw..... some good writers here in the last cpl pages... ;)

Penicks

genesis fine
ceremony good second half
urantia cheesy 80's chorus no likely
error kinda boring, nice ending
spell good
pompeiji good
link fine
radiant boring
headless fine
ohms fine

overall fine album

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Quote from: beansandcornbread on Sep 25, 2020, 07:00 PM
Quote from: imbrie on Sep 25, 2020, 10:05 AM
Oh and my wife's COVID test came back negative so this is a really good day. Wow, just listening to the ending of 'Error'. Wow.

Very Palms-ish.

This is one of the most exciting assessments I've read so far. I absolutely LOVE the Palms LP.

kurtone

https://www.theprp.com/2020/09/24/reviews/deftones-ohms/

Decades into a career that has been torn apart by loss and substance abuse and mended back to health by brotherhood, enduring friendship and a genuine love of what they do; Deftones deliver an album that matches that of their most memorable ventures. Their welcome reunion with producer Terry Date, who helmed several of their earliest outings, only solidifies their reinvigorated pact.

4.5/5 from the prp

imbrie

Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 25, 2020, 07:04 PM
The Guardian gave Ohms the only review below 8/10 so far, with 6/10

How can you give this album anything less than 8/10? Like, fuck the guardian amirite?

Having The Guardian review music is like asking a man without feet to run.

SMLiberator

yeah, now Ohms is out of Metacritic's top 3 albums of 2020 because of that shitty review I'm legit mad lmao
i'm confused??

from_musings

Spell of mathematics would work very well as a closer i think. ohms as 2nd track.

Hidalgo

does the cd come with a booklet? any pics, etc? if someone wants to scan that up along with the back of the album, for us poor shmucks that have to wait longer cause amazon is dumb and slow, that would be cool. i gotta wait until the 29th

Gaz

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 25, 2020, 07:46 PM
Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 25, 2020, 07:04 PM
The Guardian gave Ohms the only review below 8/10 so far, with 6/10

How can you give this album anything less than 8/10? Like, fuck the guardian amirite?

Having The Guardian review music is like asking a man without feet to run.

Spot on.

funksk8er

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 25, 2020, 08:13 PM
does the cd come with a booklet? any pics, etc? if someone wants to scan that up along with the back of the album, for us poor shmucks that have to wait longer cause amazon is dumb and slow, that would be cool. i gotta wait until the 29th

It does! I don't have pics unfortunately

moskwality

The visuals for TSOM from the visual tracklist are fantastic.

Visionz

Love how chino seems to be singing about writing the music with erased recordings and "arranging cards" etc and getting out of the crib to go around the lake and blow off steam maybe? (Urantia)Dont have official lyrics in front of me but thats what i hear. So much more to this also in the song imo

Visionz

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 25, 2020, 10:14 PM
Love how chino seems to be singing about writing the music with erased recordings and "arranging cards" etc and getting out of the crib to go around the lake and blow off steam maybe? (Urantia)Dont have official lyrics in front of me but thats what i hear. So much more to this also in the song imo

This is totally new to me because off the top of my head I can't think of him writing about some thing in first person personally that upfront. Sorry I'm not a scholar to use better words to describe it but you get the drift right?

Visionz

Fucking ABE CUNNINGFUCKINGHAM is a monster! Well done sir. Gonna retire TLID officially today at least until im curious enough to try to understand its beauty if any someday. But Abe smashed that one up to. Only Favorite part of it besides feeling creepy in my house alone tonight when it played.

FatherUppercut

Obviously, the album has been on repeat and I'm still diggin it alot... so much so that I adopted a dot! Where it ranks amongst the other albums, not sure.

Anywho - I know song rankings are subject to change as soon as I hit post, but I'm doing it anyway. I'd say about half of this album is top tier, there's a few great tracks, and one that hasn't hit the mark... yet. Obviously that will be #10 on the list.

Here's my song rank. It's the moment everyone has been waiting for, of course

1. Urantia
2. Headless
3. This Link is Dead
4. Error
5. Ohms
6. Radiant City
7. The Spell of Mathematics
8. Genesis
9. Ceremony
10. Pompeji

Vesanic

mandalay

First off, I'm really happy that so many people are in love with this record.  I wish I could say the same but it does absolutely nothing for me.  I find very little of it memorable, catchy, or impressive.  It all kinda sounds the same.  Chino's vocals are super pitchy.  Some of the guitar work is impressive and interesting, but again not catchy or crushing some like some of Stef's past work.  Maybe a few more listen things will change, but for now this record makes Gore seem like a masterpiece.

glassdomino

the spell of mathematics is the ride i've been waiting for since self-titled.   absolutely epic track. 

Hidalgo

Quote from: mandalay on Sep 26, 2020, 12:31 AM
First off, I'm really happy that so many people are in love with this record.  I wish I could say the same but it does absolutely nothing for me.  I find very little of it memorable, catchy, or impressive.  It all kinda sounds the same.  Chino's vocals are super pitchy.  Some of the guitar work is impressive and interesting, but again not catchy or crushing some like some of Stef's past work.  Maybe a few more listen things will change, but for now this record makes Gore seem like a masterpiece.
if you want catchy this is the wrong band. they've never made super catchy stuff