Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shells

Ooo they're playing The Spell Of Mathematics on BBC 6 Music at 10:40am! Nice!

IN WAVES

Headless is the only song I haven't totally connected with. I'll give it a few shots, but, as of now, it's the low point of an amazing album!

Shells

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 25, 2020, 09:39 AM
Quote from: Gaz on Sep 25, 2020, 08:26 AM
Still no email about the UK bundle pre orders, anyone had anything yet?

Nothing at all mate.

My orders are still showing as Packing/Not Shipped on the UK official store. I ordered the CD/tshirt bundle and the cassette bundle in two separate orders. The digital download is available on the order page now though.

Moz La Punk

Quote from: IN WAVES on Sep 25, 2020, 09:48 AM
Headless is the only song I haven't totally connected with. I'll give it a few shots, but, as of now, it's the low point of an amazing album!

This was me yesterday, but today its finally growing on me.

Gaz

Quote from: Shells on Sep 25, 2020, 09:52 AM

Nothing at all mate.

My orders are still showing as Packing/Not Shipped on the UK official store. I ordered the CD/tshirt bundle and the cassette bundle in two separate orders. The digital download is available on the order page now though.

Ok, thanks lads!

imbrie

There's so much to unpack in this album.

During my first full listen through, I really didn't know what to make of it and, initially, wasn't feeling too enthusiastic about it - it really wasn't what I was expecting it to be but, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what exactly I was expecting.

Fortunately, it's greatness began to reveal itself on the second, third and fourth listens. I think each band member bring so much to this album but I must mention Sergio's playing is particularly impressive, especially on Ceremony.

I said this before but I think that the sequencing of the tracks works obscenely well and this album is just clever, generally.

Time needs to pass etc but my feeling is that this is a classic album and will be considered so in years to come which is just crazy considering this is album number nine for the band - I can also see it becoming a personal all time favourite album.

Can't really pick out favourites at the moment but, if pushed, I'd have to say 'Headless', 'This Link Is Dead', 'The Spell of Mathematics' and, oh fuck it, all of them.

Shells

Quote from: Gaz on Sep 25, 2020, 09:59 AM

Nothing at all mate.

Ok, thanks lads!

*cough* and lasses *cough*    ;D

imbrie

Oh and my wife's COVID test came back negative so this is a really good day. Wow, just listening to the ending of 'Error'. Wow.

Shells

I didn't click with Ceremony at first but had it blasting in the car this morning and found myself joining with the OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH. Now it's there  ;D Big up to Sergio on that track definitely!

imbrie

Quote from: Shells on Sep 25, 2020, 10:06 AM
I didn't click with Ceremony at first but had it blasting in the car this morning and found myself joining with the OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH. Now it's there  ;D Big up to Sergio on that track definitely!

Yes, definitely! He's superb on that track but on the album in general. His playing has really grabbed me on this album.

LG95

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 25, 2020, 10:05 AM
Oh and my wife's COVID test came back negative so this is a really good day. Wow, just listening to the ending of 'Error'. Wow.
Great news, dude.
I could float here forever

Gaz

Quote from: Shells on Sep 25, 2020, 10:02 AM
Quote from: Gaz on Sep 25, 2020, 09:59 AM

Nothing at all mate.

Ok, thanks lads!

*cough* and lasses *cough*    ;D

sorry, and lasses!

IN WAVES

Quote from: Moz La Punk on Sep 25, 2020, 09:52 AM
Quote from: IN WAVES on Sep 25, 2020, 09:48 AM

This was me yesterday, but today its finally growing on me.

I'm there! I like it now. I like it a lot! This album is f*cking awesome!

Moz La Punk

Aaaaand got it!

Dunno if it was still needed, but here are the lyrics. Saw some folks asking for it:

IN WAVES

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 25, 2020, 10:00 AM

During my first full listen through, I really didn't know what to make of it and, initially, wasn't feeling too enthusiastic about it - it really wasn't what I was expecting it to be but, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what exactly I was expecting.

Fortunately, it's greatness began to reveal itself on the second, third and fourth listens. I think each band member bring so much to this album but I must mention Sergio's playing is particularly impressive, especially on Ceremony.

I said this before but I think that the sequencing of the tracks works obscenely well and this album is just clever, generally.

Time needs to pass etc but my feeling is that this is a classic album and will be considered so in years to come which is just crazy considering this is album number nine for the band - I can also see it becoming a personal all time favourite album.

Can't really pick out favourites at the moment but, if pushed, I'd have to say 'Headless', 'This Link Is Dead', 'The Spell of Mathematics' and, oh fuck it, all of them.

I had a similar reaction. I also wasn't sure what to expect, specially with everyone comparing it to different albums of theirs. Only about half the album clicked on the first listen, and then I picked up the rest after a few spins.

pannch

Quote from: Moz La Punk on Sep 25, 2020, 10:30 AM
Aaaaand got it!

Dunno if it was still needed, but here are the lyrics. Saw some folks asking for it:

Nice photography!!

imbrie

Quote from: IN WAVES on Sep 25, 2020, 10:39 AM

I had a similar reaction. I also wasn't sure what to expect, specially with everyone comparing it to different albums of theirs. Only about half the album clicked on the first listen, and then I picked up the rest after a few spins.

Man, when it hits, it really hits. Glad you're enjoying it.

There's so much going on in every song. I really love the album's cohesiveness.

ChubbyChino

Why no mention of Urantia, guys? This is one of their best songs ever, I don't get it.

LG95

Quote from: ChubbyChino on Sep 25, 2020, 11:37 AM
Why no mention of Urantia, guys? This is one of their best songs ever, I don't get it.
It's great, that chorus is tops.

And I've never heard any band utilise a thrash riff in such a way before.

LG95

Just so people don't blitz through Ohms too much straight away, there's a lot of good albums out today. New Bob Mould, The Ocean, Sufjan Stevens, Idles, Jamie Lenman, Svalbard and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head. I don't know how I'm going to get around to it all.