Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IN WAVES

Ok, I'm coming around to Error as well. Second listening. lol

976-EVIL

I don't know if anyone listens to these messages but I'm calling about DEFTONES!!!!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Ihateallofmyfriends

Urantia might be the catchiest song they've ever done, it's like Chino pretending he's in Duran Duran while you've got Steph chirping in with a dirty riff just to remind you who this band is.  I heard the terrible quality version of this and thought I would end up hating it but I think it might be one of my favourite Deftones songs ever.

Pompeji is one of those tracks where on first listen I couldn't wrap my head around it but now I can't stop listening to it.

I'm impressed at how well the album flows, it might be one of their best overall. The only track I was a bit underwhelmed by is TLID, mainly because everyone was raving about it. That, and the rest of the album surprised me. I love the heavy bass but Stefs riffs don't really pop in the way I was hoping on that song. I like the track, but for the song with Chino's most aggressive and in your face vocals I would have expected a nastier riff. I think people went a bit OTT with their descriptions of that one. Still good, but not WGTB heavy like people said. It reminds me of a more aggressive Epic by FNM, like a bass led rap rock kinda groove. Still the sort of song they've not made in a long time so a welcome return. I just wish the main guitar riff was a bit more prominent like on something like Lotion or hexagram.

I love Error too, very early pumpkins esque but still it's own thing. The whole album is pretty great which is such a relief given that the expectation levels were so high. It will be interesting to see where people rank it once it's lived with us for a year or two.

Gaz

Still no email about the UK bundle pre orders, anyone had anything yet?

RaptureWS

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Sep 25, 2020, 07:58 AM
I don't know if anyone listens to these messages but I'm calling about DEFTONES!!!!

I hear you loud and clear!!
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

lungdamage

It's great to hear peoples favourite songs initially are all different.
Just keep listening from start to finish, don't trap yourself in :)

lungdamage

Quote from: RaptureWS on Sep 25, 2020, 08:28 AM
Quote from: 976-EVIL on Sep 25, 2020, 07:58 AM

I hear you loud and clear!!

Haha. An immortal message.

Moz La Punk

On my 6th listen this morning, while waiting for the album to arrive on vinyl here.

Still i love with the album. Finding more appreciation for the first half of the record after the second half clicked instantly.

On the spell of mathematics right now and the verses remind me a bit of What Happened to You?

lungdamage

Quote from: Gaz on Sep 25, 2020, 08:26 AM

Depends what you ordered, some of the vinyls have been pushed back 3-ish weeks for the UK. ( I'm not sure where/ or what vendor you ordered from though.

Gaz

Quote from: lungdamage on Sep 25, 2020, 08:51 AM

Depends what you ordered, some of the vinyls have been pushed back 3-ish weeks for the UK. ( I'm not sure where/ or what vendor you ordered from though.

Well my gold vinyl shipped 2 days ago, so that should arrive today from Crash Records. I pre ordered the bundles from the official UK store, but not had any shipping confirmation

Jani

Ohms Triple Cassette Bundle was shipped yesterday

LG95

I could float here forever

stu_101

Ohms closes the album perfectly. My love for this song has increased tenfold.

RaptureWS

Quote from: lungdamage on Sep 25, 2020, 08:30 AM
It's great to hear peoples favourite songs initially are all different.
Just keep listening from start to finish, don't trap yourself in :)

actually have legitimate concern about what I'm going to do on my 15-minute drive to work. I have yet to listen to one song over another. It's literally just spinning this album constantly. There's not a moment that I want to skip. I might just have to leave for work early and listen to the whole album before I clock in every day LOL. it's just mind-blowing how crazy the hype was for this album and for most people it met or exceeded that hype. even if it's not a top album for you I imagine it's a welcome return to form for basically every fan.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Vesanic

I really do not get the appeal to Urantia. Pompeji and Mathematics are where it's at for me. Oh and Headless.

And I'll say it again, the synth solo is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard.

LG95

Pompeji is absolutely perfect in the middle of this. That synth soundscape gives you space to breath.
I could float here forever

Vesanic

Quote from: stu_101 on Sep 25, 2020, 09:08 AM
Ohms closes the album perfectly. My love for this song has increased tenfold.

This absolutely. Like I already said, releasing those songs as singles really paid off especially Ohms. The guitar is beautiful.

Gaz

Urantia is amazing, it keeps getting better and better for me

a banger!

SomeOf

Hi everyone (sorry for my English), I haven't posted for a very long time, Gore kind of killed the hype for me...

But Ohms... wow.
The boys are back... thanks to Terry Date. What an album. Call me crazy but I think it's one of their best.
Not because it has ALL the best songs of their entire discography in it but because it's cohesive from beginning to end, with a real identity + the songs are fantastic.
Groove, energy, melodies, brutal, sensual, fresh, original and a unique atmosphere.

Tbh not everything is perfect of course but that's not what comes out here. There are finally no forced ballads, no useless interludes or songs that seem unfinished.
It's a journey from point A (Genesis) to point B (Ohms), what makes the record (IMO) the most cohesive and solid album with Diamond Eyes (with no songs to skip).

Don't get me wrong: some of their best songs are elsewhere if you listen song by song separately (more precisely on ST, WP, SNW and ATF) but the band sometimes gets lost exploring too far, trying too hard, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (Pink Cellphone, Lucky You, Teenager, Pittura Infamante, Xenon... and many more) and leave you with the feeling that some tracks are pointless or not finished.
I don't feel that way with DE and Ohms.

Maybe it will evolve with time and again it's just my opinion.
Here's my ranking :

01- DE
02- Ohms
03- ATF
04- ST
05- WP
06- KNY
07- SNW
08- Adrenaline

09- Gore

imbrie

Nothing at all mate.