Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nineteen

Given it a handful of listens now. It's such a complex album to me, so it makes me feel like it's super accessible but at the same time one that will take waaaay more listens for it to sink in.

A sign of a great album.

Time will determine where it sits in their discography but it'll be up there for sure.

secretbandinsider

what, that 9-string groove is everything on that song

Vesanic

from_musings

Things i didn't know about this record going in:

quest guitarist brian "head" welch is playing the chords in the intro & verse in "error"
quest guitarist bill corgan is playing the intro to pompeji.
guest keyboardist angel adalamenti,known from david lynch films, is playing the synth-outro to pompeij.

can't find a source to this but no way in hell it ain't them.

it's a very weird album.it's upbeat and super-catchy sounding,but at the same time- the melodies chino comes up with are unconventional
and out of the ordinary which makes it ultra non-catchy.can't hear a hit single here.i usually like sad/miserable/pissed off deftones, but this stuff fucking rocks after two listens.no chills besides genesis,but i just love the production and how everyone in the band sounds here.yes there is some 90ies stuff on here, but mostly 80-ies stuff mixed with deftones 2020 id say. i'm pleased.

best songs so far- genesis,pompeji,this link is dead,ceremony. no skipable shit songs were noted.

question:do you think you will think of SARS-CoV-2 when hearing this album in 20 years?

Inkblades

Don't trip, guys, just my opinion.

Inkblades

Quote from: nineteen on Sep 25, 2020, 04:21 PM
Given it a handful of listens now. It's such a complex album to me, so it makes me feel like it's super accessible but at the same time one that will take waaaay more listens for it to sink in.

A sign of a great album.

Time will determine where it sits in their discography but it'll be up there for sure.

Yeah, I definitely feel like it's one of their more complex. I've listened to it numerous times and I enjoy it quite a bit but I feel like I still haven't fully wrapped my head around it yet.

One of the things I'm noticing is it feels like the songs take their time building, as opposed to, say, the more simple, to the point songs on Diamond Eyes. Maybe due to the longer time lengths?

Yossarian

Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Sep 25, 2020, 03:37 PM
If there would be at least one hit song (Change/Digital Bath level) this would be my favorite record from them. And I'm not overreacting, this stuff is amazing. All songs are so solid, I can't find any weak parts at all (except Pompeji's chorus, it's too strange for me).

I think Urantia has potential to reach Change hit song level. This hook is so fuckin catchy...
"Something in our music that has a little provocative kind of vibe to it. And I feel like that exists in our music for some reason. I don't know where it comes from."

Draken

Stayed up late last night listening to the new album. WOW... click play below for my review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FrpuPLYnvY&list=PLMyztl9rKFp9ZztVDCso2eZHkluQJBLrj&index=124

SPELL

OF

MATH

MATICS  8)

LG95

Quote from: Yossarian on Sep 25, 2020, 04:41 PM
If there would be at least one hit song (Change/Digital Bath level) this would be my favorite record from them. And I'm not overreacting, this stuff is amazing. All songs are so solid, I can't find any weak parts at all (except Pompeji's chorus, it's too strange for me).

I think Urantia has potential to reach Change hit song level. This hook is so fuckin catchy...
Woah steady there.
I could float here forever

LG95

The atmosphere created on the verses on Pompeji is next level.

Hidalgo

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 25, 2020, 04:45 PM

Woah steady there.
can "change" even be considered a true hit? i mean it was played a good amount for a year, but after that i haven't heard it on the radio ever again, like NEVER ever EVER EVER again. they've never had a hit that the radio deemed worthy to immortalize. their hits get played (mostly after midnight) for a few months when the records are new, then never EVER again, like ever ever never. they kind of are the biggest underground band. no hits, but 3 platinum albums and 1 gold, 10 million albums sold worldwide, and diehard fans

kurtone

The verse of Pompeji sounds like the verse of Phantom Bride.

Also, if Frank wants to make a solo synth record I'm all for it.

Vanby

ya'll crazy

Ceremony is where it's at :P

Inkblades

Quote from: kurtone on Sep 25, 2020, 04:50 PM
Also, if Frank wants to make a solo synth record I'm all for it.

Hell yeah! That would be an instant purchase for me.

Draken

Quote from: kurtone on Sep 25, 2020, 04:50 PM
The verse of Pompeji sounds like the verse of Phantom Bride.

I thought the same thing

kurtone

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 25, 2020, 04:49 PM

Woah steady there.
can change even be considered a true hit? i mean it was played a good amount for a year, but after that i haven't heard it on the radio ever again, like NEVER ever EVER EVER again. they've never had a hit that the radio deemed worthy to immortalize. their hits get played (mostly after midnight) for a few months, then never EVER again, like ever ever never

I'd say it's a hit. Whenever I look at live clips on Instagram during tours it's always change and my own summer.

from_musings

10 million albums sold worldwide, and diehard fans

Last i heard was 7.5 million, and that was stated last week.
Maybe that was just u.s sales though

Hidalgo

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 25, 2020, 05:00 PM
10 million albums sold worldwide, and diehard fans

Last i heard was 7.5 million, and that was stated last week.
Maybe that was just u.s sales though
5.5 million U.S., 4.5 rest of the world

Draken

Woah steady there.
can "change" even be considered a true hit? i mean it was played a good amount for a year, but after that i haven't heard it on the radio ever again, like NEVER ever EVER EVER again. they've never had a hit that the radio deemed worthy to immortalize. their hits get played (mostly after midnight) for a few months when the records are new, then never EVER again, like ever ever never. they kind of are the biggest underground band. no hits, but 3 platinum albums and 1 gold, 10 million albums sold worldwide, and diehard fans

Change is still played on the local rock station where I live, and it was on the Little Nicky and Queen of the Damned soundtrack, as well as some TV shows.

LG95

Change is a hit. It might not get mega radio play but it's a hit alright. The sort of song that's recognisable to rock and alternative fans of that era who may not have really listened to the band.