Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hidalgo

Quote from: Draken on Oct 14, 2020, 04:05 PM
Quote from: Hidalgo on Oct 14, 2020, 05:15 AM
also think Ohms might be the heaviest since ATF, but just barely over s/t or snw.

Do you really believe that or are you just still in the honeymoon phase?
might still be in honeymoon phase. but i mean none of the albums are even close to atf and adrenaline heavy. i made the case for this one overall cause it has no ballads really. but i'll probably need a year for it to be my final opinon on it. i don't think there's a clear cut 100% 3rd heaviest album by them, but this one is it by a bit in my opinion(but i do need more time with it for sure). it's the most  consistently heavy since atf(might not have something quite as heavy as elite, korea, wgtb, bloody cape, rapture etc, but not far off, and it keeps heavy throughout more) why, do you think i'm way off here?

Hidalgo

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Oct 14, 2020, 04:29 PM
If you mean musically heavy, it's probably Adrenaline or ATF. If you mean emotionally heavy, it's S/T no contest. Ohms isn't THAT heavy, but it's more consistently heavy than I expected. I expected a softer album with 1 or 2 token heavy songs to appease the hardcore fans.
i'd say Gore is probably their softest, but it's still a fairly heavy rock album.

Visionz

I believe theres a chance that ill say Ohms is my favorite Deftones record one day. Theres a chance, its so good. I think anyone here that doesn't really enjoy it and is disappointed with it overall should just listen to something else because if this isn't Deftones to you then I don't think this band is for you anymore in my opinion. It's the essence of them this record. How can one complain about it? Fucking brilliant

B0RNtoR0CK

Still don't understand why stef is using a 8-9 string guitar. Ohms and Gore get nothing out of it. Very few chuggy songs. 7 string F# (SNW) or G# (Self-titled) sound 100x better. 

B0RNtoR0CK

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 14, 2020, 06:32 PM
I believe theres a chance that ill say Ohms is my favorite Deftones record one day. Theres a chance, its so good. I think anyone here that doesn't really enjoy it and is disappointed with it overall should just listen to something else because if this isn't Deftones to you then I don't think this band is for you anymore in my opinion. It's the essence of them this record. How can one complain about it? Fucking brilliant
I can name several things that I don't like about it. And outside of this forum and reddit, people I know IRL, agree w me.

LG95

I love that Chino keeps the distortion on for the clean singing on This Link Is Dead. Works really well.
I could float here forever

Draken

Quote from: Hidalgo on Oct 14, 2020, 04:33 PM
also think Ohms might be the heaviest since ATF, but just barely over s/t or snw.
might still be in honeymoon phase. but i mean none of the albums are even close to atf and adrenaline heavy. i made the case for this one overall cause it has no ballads really. but i'll probably need a year for it to be my final opinon on it. i don't think there's a clear cut 100% 3rd heaviest album by them, but this one is it by a bit in my opinion(but i do need more time with it for sure). it's the most  consistently heavy since atf(might not have something quite as heavy as elite, korea, wgtb, bloody cape, rapture etc, but not far off, and it keeps heavy throughout more) why, do you think i'm way off here?

Not at all, if that's your opinion then who's to say you're off. It's subjective anyway, if you say heavy in terms of no soft slow songs or ballads then I can see that. If you ask me, I wouldn't describe the record as heavy tbh. It's got grooves and Stef's signature style but I don't think it's heavier than S/T. I think Genesis might be the heaviest they've done in awhile but as an entire record I think S/T is heavier in terms of aggression and the real emotional turmoil of that era, like secretbandinsider said.

But yeah in the past I've changed my mind a lot about their albums over time, I didn't like S/T, SNW, or DE that much at first but over the years S/T is now my personal favorite, SNW has grown on me, and DE was my favorite Sergio era until Ohms came in and pushed it aside. Hell, I didn't even like Mascara at first but now it's a favorite. WP is probably the one record of theirs that I haven't changed my mind on, I've always loved it and think of it as their masterpiece, and it's got some great heavy moments.

secretbandinsider

from_musings

Quote from: Draken on Oct 14, 2020, 07:10 PM
Quote from: Hidalgo on Oct 14, 2020, 04:33 PM

Not at all, if that's your opinion then who's to say you're off. It's subjective anyway, if you say heavy in terms of no soft slow songs or ballads then I can see that. If you ask me, I wouldn't describe the record as heavy tbh. It's got grooves and Stef's signature style but I don't think it's heavier than S/T. I think Genesis might be the heaviest they've done in awhile but as an entire record I think S/T is heavier in terms of aggression and the real emotional turmoil of that era, like secretbandinsider said.

But yeah in the past I've changed my mind a lot about their albums over time, I didn't like S/T, SNW, or DE that much at first but over the years S/T is now my personal favorite, SNW has grown on me, and DE was my favorite Sergio era until Ohms came in and pushed it aside. Hell, I didn't even like Mascara at first but now it's a favorite. WP is probably the one record of theirs that I haven't changed my mind on, I've always loved it and think of it as their masterpiece, and it's got some great heavy moments.

I remember when i had this discussion with hidalgo years ago. it ended abruptly when he said that like linus was heavier than s/t.

Draken

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 14, 2020, 08:17 PM
I remember when i had this discussion with hidalgo years ago. it ended abruptly when he said that like linus was heavier than s/t.

lmao  ;D

Draken

I FINALLY received my pre-order today!

from_musings

976-EVIL

Quote from: Draken on Oct 14, 2020, 08:52 PM
I FINALLY received my pre-order today!

Nice! Very festive dude!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Visionz

Quote from: B0RNtoR0CK on Oct 14, 2020, 06:47 PM
Quote from: Visionz on Oct 14, 2020, 06:32 PM
I can name several things that I don't like about it. And outside of this forum and reddit, people I know IRL, agree w me.

Well, I didn't exactly say it was perfect but I'm not complaining. I said if you're disappointed overall and dont enjoy it. I dont love some of the vocal effects but i enjoy it. Its Deftones at a peak moment. A second wind if u will

Visionz

I still haven't received my package, and wanted to ask if the inner sleeve, artwork, pictures are interesting? Is there a nice lyric jacket and any pics besides the four pictures I seen of them in the studio recording it? By the way I didn't notice Chino in the four pictures because there are five members.... Maybe I missed it?

B_S_79

My bundle is expected to arrive tomorrow...finally. Anyone know if they are sending the vinyls along with the clothing? I received an email a while back saying they may ship separately?

I took about a week off from the album.

I'm still into it -  SOM is still my favorite. Ceremony is a close 2nd now, and on first listen I didn't care for it at all. Same with Radiant City - super into it now. I'm least into Genesis and Ohms, probably because I played them a hundred times each before the album was released.

I hope everyone is well.

Inkblades

I know some of you guys criticized the mix when it first dropped and I'm hearing it. Some of the songs sound kind of tinny, right?

Sal_Ameigh

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 12, 2020, 11:49 PM
Quote from: Sal_Ameigh on Oct 12, 2020, 05:49 AM
Someone quoted me asking about Genesis sounding like Jane's Addiction. Anytime I hear vocalists for guitar based bands post 1988 use echo/delay on their vocals it always reminds me of Perry Farrell. Not a bad thing. To be clear the music for Genesis didn't remind me of Jane's.

Despite Chino in several interviews saying that Deftones record each album with no plan on what a new album will sound like he's also said in many interviews how Deftones are known for their dynamics. Deftones know what the fans want and they probably keep in mind Deftones are kind of like a brand. Like a bottle of Smirnoff. Deftones songs remind me a lot like Nirvana in practice. Loud. Quiet. It's kind of like like buying a can of Pepsi with Deftones. You can expect to know what you're buying. Similar to AC/DC. The next album will probably follow the same loud/quiet formula. Not a bad thing. Just be interesting if they took more musical risks and broke away from their loud/quiet formula.

It'd be cool to hear Deftones do more songs where the mood and feel of the track is consistent through the whole song. Like soft vocals only, use of different vocal effects throughout for dynamics, no screams, with ethereal, textural, ambient, chill, more experimental music. Or songs with full on guitar brutality with screaming/yelled vocals throughout and more use of vocal effects for vocal dynamics. On some tracks wish Abe used double bass and could really hear Abe expand his drum kit with more drums and cymbals to also expand Deftones overall sound. He'll probably never throw in an extra kick drum to his kit though.

Overall Ohms is good. Past albums are better tho IMO.

btw rumor has it Deftones are going to do the theme song for the next  Jame's Bond movie.  :P On a serious note why haven't Deftones been a musical guest on Saturday Night Live yet???!!
Doesn't Urantia seem pretty consistent like you're wishing for? I think its pretty straight fwd in that aspect
BTW, weird song title for that track. Way off. Just like Error. Hos naming of songs seems lazy to me the last decade. Tired of it. No surprises anymore there.... just the music. Love when a song title really resonates with me toward it's song and he just doesn't do it. Pompeji, i get.

That's one song of ten. They've talked about sequencing of songs an on album. What if tracks on a Deftones album alternated? Like song 1 being heavy/screaming, song 2 song more experimental/no screaming, song 3 heavy/with screaming, repeat, etc.? Or if they are going to release albums on tape and vinyl make one side really heavy/fast/with screaming and the other side more musically experimental with no screaming vocals? Or on a CD like Ohms with 10 songs that would mean the first 5 songs are heavy with screaming vocals and the last 5 songs are more experimental with no screaming vocals. Or vice versa.

Deftones have never released a double album. What if they did and album 1 was ten songs, all heavy, with screams and then album 2 was also ten songs of more experimental music with less emphasis on Metal and no screaming vocals? 20 new Deftones songs!

Deftones have never released a proper EP of new songs like the Alice in Chains "Sap" EP either.  A Deftones EP with 4 new songs could be a way to test the alternating format out. Like 2 heavy more Metal songs with screaming vocals then 2 non screaming less Metal songs. The EP could be released on CD, vinyl, and tape and on DVD/ Blu Ray to also make it a visual EP.

punkflop01

Man, I feel bad for anyone who is already bored with the album. I was worried that would happen to me, and I was worried that every time I would return to it I would feel further disappointed like I did with Gore. But that hasn't happened - in fact I feel re-engerized every time I take a break and then put it back on. God I love this album.

punkflop01

This link is dead - 3:45 to the end - might be one of Deftones biggest moments for me since Rodleen on Knife party.