Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws198x

I guess I should get bent. Sorry for wasting the board's time.

Inkblades

Quote from: Hidalgo on Oct 02, 2020, 11:17 PM
looks like the album is only gonna sell 33k (ish) it's first week. Gore sold 69k it's first. that drop off is insane. wtf, like everyone just went bye bye on deftones? oh well, they have their platinum albums, and 10 million sold worldwide. the high selling days are long gone

The music industry has changed a lot in the past few years. Albums don't really sell much anymore unless you're a mainstream mega star - and even they flop now too like Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake and that Beyonce/Jay-Z album.

Far away

looks like the album is only gonna sell 33k (ish) it's first week. Gore sold 69k it's first. that drop off is insane. wtf, like everyone just went bye bye on deftones? oh well, they have their platinum albums, and 10 million sold worldwide. the high selling days are long gone

I dont want this to sound harsh, but I dont think they will get that comotion on sales, ever. WP is their most successfull record and the numbers are not even close to some crap from the same time. They are not popular, I wish they were. Its been like that since I can remember. People from all fronts praise them for a number of good reasons, yet, they are like that gigantic and influential band thats going to leave a mark forever, after they decide to hang up the instruments, BUT its not going to come to public knowledge. Its not to everyone. I have friends who strongly hate them for their own reasons.

As a diehard fan, I think they should be way bigger, but if you look at their sound, their core and everything about them, they shy away from the spotlights all the damn time (or most of the time, anyway). Look at Chino. Does not bother me, tbh. It is what it is, I made peace with it long ago.

People cant see shit, even in front of them. Their loss.

Visionz

Quote from: Far away on Oct 03, 2020, 12:58 AM

I dont want this to sound harsh, but I dont think they will get that comotion on sales, ever. WP is their most successfull record and the numbers are not even close to some crap from the same time. They are not popular, I wish they were. Its been like that since I can remember. People from all fronts praise them for a number of good reasons, yet, they are like that gigantic and influential band thats going to leave a mark forever, after they decide to hang up the instruments, BUT its not going to come to public knowledge. Its not to everyone. I have friends who strongly hate them for their own reasons.

As a diehard fan, I think they should be way bigger, but if you look at their sound, their core and everything about them, they shy away from the spotlights all the damn time (or most of the time, anyway). Look at Chino. Does not bother me, tbh. It is what it is, I made peace with it long ago.

Whoahh.... they "strongly HATE them"? Can u elaborate? Can you remember one of your friends exact reasons? Or is it the music period? Just dont get it like most people? Like for example, my mother thinks Chino sounds like hes strung out on heroin.... doesnt get his melodies and cant hear him as an instrument. Yeah hes unique, but people some people, just dont get it.  :-\ Btw ive heard other people say he sounds strung out too. Wish I could go back and show them where he is rated as an all-time great singer now maybe they would give it another poke but anyways...

Visionz

No matter what happens, everyone here has special ears. U were blessed to jive with this shit man. Its pretty fucking great too. Love this band forever. Been with me a very long time now and probably always will be. I just hope they keep making music and stay interested in making it for as long as possible. For a few years now I've been waiting for Chino to end it and not in a bad way, but to explore other genres and make the music he wants to make. Let's face it he enjoys the hang, but I believe he enjoys making the other music he's been making that's just my opinion

Far away

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 03, 2020, 01:34 AM
Quote from: Far away on Oct 03, 2020, 12:58 AM

Whoahh.... they “strongly HATE them”? Can u elaborate? Can you remember one of your friends exact reasons? Or is it the music period? Just dont get it like most people? Like for example, my mother thinks Chino sounds like hes strung out on heroin.... doesnt get his melodies and cant hear him as an instrument. Yeah hes unique, but people some people, just dont get it.  :-\ Btw ive heard other people say he sounds strung out too. Wish I could go back and show them where he is rated as an all-time great singer now maybe they would give it another poke but anyways...

So my best friend, right? She is (or used to be, idk anymore) a HUGE Muse / Silverchair fan. She hates Chino. Says he moans way too much and its kinda of a turn off. Loves the band instrumentally, though. As a drummer, she has a big appreciation for Abe's way of playing. Most of them just dislike Chino's style, or how out of touch / tune he is most of the time, live (which is kinda true, since during some years he was either drunk or high... or both, during shows. We can all agree Youtube does not help this particular case, yes?).

Personally, I couldnt care less about it. I love his way of singing and I saw them live twice. He was SPOT on (back in '07 and `'11). I know hes kinda hit and miss, but as long as they keep making great records, like Ohms, Im fine.

I've know her for almost 20 years and til this day she makes fun of me bc I love them so much. I get back at her tho, she likes a lot of shitty music.

Draken

I don't know anyone irl who likes Deftones lol. My brother hates them but he listens to shit like Breaking Benjamin, I was laughing when i showed him not one but two videos of them covering Deftones.  ;D

Far away

Quote from: Draken on Oct 03, 2020, 01:51 AM
I don't know anyone irl who likes Deftones lol. My brother hates them but he listens to shit like Breaking Benjamin, I was laughing when i showed him not one but two videos of them covering Deftones.  ;D

I can picture the surprise on his face, lol...

Visionz

I think we all probably know someone like your friend. I get the jokes and shit from friends too, even my wife sometimes. Their loss idc. Youre either not liking it at all, casual listener or total die hard like most people round here. Im happy to be the latter. I've always known I wasn't alone on this. I have always assumed because of their smaller diehard fan base compared to a lot of other bands, that those fans had people around them just not getting it. I've never had a problem getting people to go to shows with me to see Deftones but all they got out of it was crowd surfing and moshing so I didn't see them for the whole two hours of the show because I was somewhere trying to listen and enjoy the show  ;D I was walking out of a show in Detroit Michigan to see hundreds or thousands of people in those city streets dancing around because we had finally hunted down and killed Osama bin Laden! And I remember linking up with my friends and my two brothers that were with me to ask them what they thought and they could totally care less LOL obviously it was something to celebrate but fuck, I just wanted to know what they thought about Deftones' show bc they fucking ripped it up that night LOL

nineteen

Don't forget that these random/significant times tend to be quite valuable for people in the long run. Not just financially but in terms of experience etc.

Style wise, a lot of folks will probably look at this time as a golden era for music with the shit that's going on. Also, in terms of physical albums just look back on early/mid 90s records - they're super sought after because they're quite rare but at the time nobody knew any better. The same will probably apply to these times in a few decades if they're printing less

Visionz

Quote from: nineteen on Oct 03, 2020, 02:08 AM
Don't forget that these random times tend to be quite valuable for people in the long run. Not just financially but in terms of experience etc.

Style wise, a lot of folks will probably look at this time as a golden era for music. Also, in terms of physical albums, look back on early/mid 90s records - they're super sought after because they're quite rare but at the time nobody knew any better. The same will probably apply to these times in a few decades.

Glad I have every original CD I've ever bought pretty much. I just wish I saved my cassettes. "Theyre baaa aaaaack"

Far away

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 03, 2020, 02:03 AMYoure either not liking it at all, casual listener or total die hard like most people round here.

From my personal experiences with people around me, thats exactly the case. My 3 closest friends, 2 love them to death and one hates 'em. Curious enough, last show we went to in 2011, was on April 4th. We both born on april 4th. It was the best day of my life, nothing comes close to it. Celebrating yours and your best friends birthday on the same day you are watching your favorite band play?

I couldnt talk for almost 3 days. I went totally ape shit crazy, lol... and thats not me at all.

Draken

You either like them or you don't. It's like David Lynch movies. There's not really like a middle ground "yeah it's ok", it's like either rabid fandom or vehement hatred, or like most people, they just don't get it so they don't care. It just clicks if you're a fan. There's lots of stuff that didn't click with me at first, Deftones being one of them. But damn when it clicks, it fucking clicks. It's something you have to give time and have patience for.

Draken

I understand completely why people would think Chino is whiney... but I also understand what he's trying to do with his voice (a lil bit of Sade mixed with Robert Smith, etc.). It doesn't sound whiney to me at all though. I think there are far more whinier bands out there. I mean, Papa Roach sounds whiney and emo as shit to me. It's not like Chino is catering to teenagers by singing some melodramatic emo shit like "I'm contemplating suicide!"

aaaaaand we're back on the bullshit thread  ;D

976-EVIL

Quote from: Draken on Oct 03, 2020, 02:30 AM
I understand completely why people would think Chino is whiney... but I also understand what he's trying to do with his voice (a lil bit of Sade mixed with Robert Smith, etc.). It doesn't sound whiney to me at all though. I think there are far more whinier bands out there. I mean, Papa Roach sounds whiney and emo as shit to me. It's not like Chino is catering to teenagers by singing some melodramatic emo shit like "I'm contemplating suicide!"

aaaaaand we're back on the bullshit thread  ;D

LMAO
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Sicario

I've been incapacitated for 2 weeks with some strange illness that apparently isn't COVID. I missed the entire album release reaction. So if you don't mind sharing (again). What does everyone think of the album? It's cool seeing reactions from new and old fans alike.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

Far away

Quote from: Sicario on Oct 03, 2020, 04:20 AM
I've been incapacitated for 2 weeks with some strange illness that apparently isn't COVID. I missed the entire album release reaction. So if you don't mind sharing (again). What does everyone think of the album? It's cool seeing reactions from new and old fans alike.

I loved from day 1. Only music that I didnt instantly fell in love with was Pompeji (altho that ending is amazing) and Radiant city. They are not bad songs at all though.

976-EVIL

It's crazy what a difference "7" Days make in how I appreciate this Record. My favorite Tracks shifting, the little inflections in the sound. Focusing on each members contributions to the groove.
Ohms is truly a work of Art.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

E-Money

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 03, 2020, 01:38 AM
No matter what happens, everyone here has special ears. U were blessed to jive with this shit man. Its pretty fucking great too. Love this band forever. Been with me a very long time now and probably always will be. I just hope they keep making music and stay interested in making it for as long as possible. For a few years now I've been waiting for Chino to end it and not in a bad way, but to explore other genres and make the music he wants to make. Let's face it he enjoys the hang, but I believe he enjoys making the other music he's been making that's just my opinion

Totally agree bro. Hoping for him to get back to creating more in the next few years. Would love for him to do another team sleep record. It's time...