Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

only pieces remain

This thread has screeched to a halt. Was expected but only 2 weeks after release. Hmmm.

Sal_Ameigh

Someone quoted me asking about Genesis sounding like Jane's Addiction. Anytime I hear vocalists for guitar based bands post 1988 use echo/delay on their vocals it always reminds me of Perry Farrell. Not a bad thing. To be clear the music for Genesis didn't remind me of Jane's.

Despite Chino in several interviews saying that Deftones record each album with no plan on what a new album will sound like he's also said in many interviews how Deftones are known for their dynamics. Deftones know what the fans want and they probably keep in mind Deftones are kind of like a brand. Like a bottle of Smirnoff. Deftones songs remind me a lot like Nirvana in practice. Loud. Quiet. It's kind of like like buying a can of Pepsi with Deftones. You can expect to know what you're buying. Similar to AC/DC. The next album will probably follow the same loud/quiet formula. Not a bad thing. Just be interesting if they took more musical risks and broke away from their loud/quiet formula.

It'd be cool to hear Deftones do more songs where the mood and feel of the track is consistent through the whole song. Like soft vocals only, use of different vocal effects throughout for dynamics, no screams, with ethereal, textural, ambient, chill, more experimental music. Or songs with full on guitar brutality with screaming/yelled vocals throughout and more use of vocal effects for vocal dynamics. On some tracks wish Abe used double bass and could really hear Abe expand his drum kit with more drums and cymbals to also expand Deftones overall sound. He'll probably never throw in an extra kick drum to his kit though.

Overall Ohms is good. Past albums are better tho IMO.

btw rumor has it Deftones are going to do the theme song for the next  Jame's Bond movie.  :P On a serious note why haven't Deftones been a musical guest on Saturday Night Live yet???!!

Visionz

I still keep getting faith no more and Mr. bungle vibes from some of chinos lyrics on this record but also on past records. When he sings "we sway in the wind"  on the spell of mathematics.... Mike Patton says that in "falling to pieces". Almost exact but not quite. I know its a basic or common phrase but im quite convinced considering the fandom Chino has for Mike and his projects. Not nitpicking, just pointing it out. I know most of Patton's music, and i catch it. Robert Smith, etc i could go on forever.... and im talking strictly LYRICS. Its obvious his singing is influenced already. Hes just been better IMO at certain times in his career

Visionz

Quote from: plagasx on Oct 11, 2020, 11:49 PM
The second half to Error sounds like something straight out of Palms.... That's not really a good thing imo. Wasn't a fan of Chino's airy hallway like vocals in Palms.

"Hallway like"....... genius. You, i mean. Nice way to describe it. Spot on. I like it only bc it really fits the music there. Feel like nothing else would. But nice description

Visionz

Quote from: Sal_Ameigh on Oct 12, 2020, 05:49 AM
Someone quoted me asking about Genesis sounding like Jane's Addiction. Anytime I hear vocalists for guitar based bands post 1988 use echo/delay on their vocals it always reminds me of Perry Farrell. Not a bad thing. To be clear the music for Genesis didn't remind me of Jane's.

Despite Chino in several interviews saying that Deftones record each album with no plan on what a new album will sound like he's also said in many interviews how Deftones are known for their dynamics. Deftones know what the fans want and they probably keep in mind Deftones are kind of like a brand. Like a bottle of Smirnoff. Deftones songs remind me a lot like Nirvana in practice. Loud. Quiet. It's kind of like like buying a can of Pepsi with Deftones. You can expect to know what you're buying. Similar to AC/DC. The next album will probably follow the same loud/quiet formula. Not a bad thing. Just be interesting if they took more musical risks and broke away from their loud/quiet formula.

It'd be cool to hear Deftones do more songs where the mood and feel of the track is consistent through the whole song. Like soft vocals only, use of different vocal effects throughout for dynamics, no screams, with ethereal, textural, ambient, chill, more experimental music. Or songs with full on guitar brutality with screaming/yelled vocals throughout and more use of vocal effects for vocal dynamics. On some tracks wish Abe used double bass and could really hear Abe expand his drum kit with more drums and cymbals to also expand Deftones overall sound. He'll probably never throw in an extra kick drum to his kit though.

Overall Ohms is good. Past albums are better tho IMO.

btw rumor has it Deftones are going to do the theme song for the next  Jame's Bond movie.  :P On a serious note why haven't Deftones been a musical guest on Saturday Night Live yet???!!
Doesn't Urantia seem pretty consistent like you're wishing for? I think its pretty straight fwd in that aspect
BTW, weird song title for that track. Way off. Just like Error. Hos naming of songs seems lazy to me the last decade. Tired of it. No surprises anymore there.... just the music. Love when a song title really resonates with me toward it's song and he just doesn't do it. Pompeji, i get.

Draken

I don't know who said it but I remember someone saying something about Genesis' last line in the bridge section of the song needing more time to sort of build up and climax. The line "I can show you" instead of being followed directly by "climbing out of the ashes" needed time to breath and reach it's pinnacle: "I can show YOOOU". I didn't really understand what they were talking about at the time but now I hear it, I think it would sound amazing. Still love the song it's still in the top 3 for me.

E-Money

Quote from: Draken on Oct 13, 2020, 06:26 AM
I don't know who said it but I remember someone saying something about Genesis' last line in the bridge section of the song needing more time to sort of build up and climax. The line "I can show you" instead of being followed directly by "climbing out of the ashes" needed time to breath and reach it's pinnacle: "I can show YOOOU". I didn't really understand what they were talking about at the time but now I hear it, I think it would sound amazing. Still love the song it's still in the top 3 for me.

Yup that was me! Genesis needed one more "I'll show you the way " in the bridge . Where chino goes really high and just nails it... but all good. Still a bitching song. Record has grown on me a lot.

I agree tho the song titles are boring now... and I'd also like to hear less screamy verses and soft chorus's.. if it's a softer song make it a softer song... don't need to be screaming just to do it... I feel like Chino pushed screaming where he didn't need to on some songs..

Still want Stephen it to back to the 6 string and make one more record... will never happen but I can dream.

Martin

Still waiting for my pre-order, with no response from the support team :/

nicklav

Quote from: Martin on Oct 13, 2020, 06:52 PM
Still waiting for my pre-order, with no response from the support team :/

I finally got mine yesterday (Southern California) so hopefully the rest are not too far off!

Visionz

Wow looking at the poll..... I don't believe any one of their other records could be as evened out as this one is with the exception of TSOM. Its just all bangers no fillers wtsoever imo. Mods should di another soon and see how it changes. Bc a lot of ppl change their minds daily.  ::)

Sleeping_Giant

It was a fun time to refresh this page so often over the last couple of months, I will miss it  :'(

Ohms is my top tier and will always have a special place in my heart. Someone said Genesis and Spell will be the fan favorites. Whoever said that was so right...

secretbandinsider

Anyone else feel like this is maybe their catchiest album ever? I've never considered Deftones a particularly catchy band (with the possible exception of WP) but I've had to put this album on ice for like 2 weeks because many of the songs have just been stuck in my head relentlessly lately. Ceremony, TSOM, and Radiant City ESPECIALLY.

Draken

Quote from: E-Money on Oct 13, 2020, 05:32 PM
I'd also like to hear less screamy verses and soft chorus's.. if it's a softer song make it a softer song... don't need to be screaming just to do it... I feel like Chino pushed screaming where he didn't need to on some songs..

I've kinda felt that way for awhile now too, he just sorta tacks on the screams (for whatever reason) but imo he doesn't need to scream all the time. For example, (L)mirl is a track where the screaming is unnecessary, it ruins the song for me. I honestly don't feel that way with Ohms though, all the screaming belongs and work especially well on TSOM. Likewise the title track is a good example where a song sounds like Deftones without the screaming.

Hidalgo

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Oct 14, 2020, 01:15 AM
Anyone else feel like this is maybe their catchiest album ever?.
yea i'd say Ohms, and probably diamond eyes are the catchiest deftones records. also think Ohms might be the heaviest since ATF, but just barely over s/t or snw. they're all kinda that amount of heavy, i just think ohms is ever so slightly heavier(no ballads really, all songs but ohms have screams(well Urantia just has 1 scream, the i in "i guess!"), and even ohms has some bangin parts and is pretty heavy, and most songs have at least one really aggressive guitar riff). adrenaline and ATF are still by far their heaviest albums

secretbandinsider

Yeah, agreed. DE is the only album that comes remotely close to this in terms of catchiness.

Vesanic

I think all the choruses on ATF are very catchy tbh

secretbandinsider

they've had plenty of catchy material including ATF, what I meant was stuff that gets stuck in your head for days/weeks.

Hidalgo

2nd week sales billboard 200, ohms is #75

Draken

Quote from: Hidalgo on Oct 14, 2020, 05:15 AM
also think Ohms might be the heaviest since ATF, but just barely over s/t or snw.

Do you really believe that or are you just still in the honeymoon phase?

secretbandinsider

If you mean musically heavy, it's probably Adrenaline or ATF. If you mean emotionally heavy, it's S/T no contest. Ohms isn't THAT heavy, but it's more consistently heavy than I expected. I expected a softer album with 1 or 2 token heavy songs to appease the hardcore fans.