Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laurapalmer

My favorite tracks remain the same but the order of others are constantly shifting

976-EVIL

It's a useless Game.
As much as i try to love TSOM I cannot place it in the Top 3 on Ohms, IMO. I expect to be crucified, Be kind and understand I'm entirely insane...

This Link is Dead > The Spell of Mathematics
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Inkblades

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 03, 2020, 05:07 AM
It's a useless Game.
As much as i try to love TSOM I cannot place it in the Top 3 on Ohms, IMO. I expect to be crucified, Be kind and understand I'm entirely insane...

I feel you. I did a complete 180 on This Link Is Dead. Didn't like it much at first but it's really grown on me. It's a really fun song and probably one of the most ATF-ish songs they've written post-ATF. I'm having a bit of the opposite effect happen with TSOM. When I heard it in June, it really stood out to me - I thought the chorus was stunning. I still think it's strong, but with each listen, it just slips away from me and I feel like I don't connect with it much. The "I believe your love" refrain feels a little too droney for my tastes. I don't like Stef's verse riff much and the heavy parts feel like too much layering - Chino's shrieking atop Frank's blaring synth atop Stef's lumbering riff is like overkill. Still love the second half of the song, though.

Far away

It’s a useless Game.
As much as i try to love TSOM I cannot place it in the Top 3 on Ohms, IMO. I expect to be crucified, Be kind and understand I’m entirely insane...

I mean, its not like people have to like it because, according to a poll in here, its the most liked song on the record. Thats the thing about music for me, no matter what people say, your interpretation of said music will always be unique. Some similarities and differences within the community, sure, but always unique.

Personally, I find TLID a good song, but not a favorite of mine.

from_musings

Quote from: Inkblades on Oct 03, 2020, 05:18 AM
I did a complete 180 on This Link Is Dead. Didn't like it much at first but it's really grown on me.

from_musings

it's like tlid got the wgtb verse chords, the atf feeling, and the fun old school jam awareness of cmnd/ctrl

Inkblades

Still digging Radiant City but I wish the song faded out with Chino repeating the "I'll follow you now" line over and over. Yeah, I have some really odd nitpicks.

LG95

I do miss them doing fade outs.
I could float here forever

nineteen

Quote from: Inkblades on Oct 03, 2020, 07:09 PM
Still digging Radiant City but I wish the song faded out with Chino repeating the "I'll follow you now" line over and over. Yeah, I have some really odd nitpicks.

I'm with ya. Can't beat a focus on intros and outros. Radiant City just ends so abruptly, despite the rest of the album flowing.

ANattyRat

My favourites haven't changed at all. Maybe they will over the next few months, maybe not, but my opinion hasn't really changed since those first three or so listens. Just that Pompeji sunk in more and I love it for what it is, and TSOM I like more (but still not like most here do). Ceremony, Urantia and Pompeji are the standouts on this album for me. And Ohms, which is probably because I didn't overplay it when the single was released.

HooiserBowhunter

I love this album and have listened to it non stop since I've had it. My favorite has to be genesis thus far. Each track is just a wall of sound that smacks you in the face like a tidal wave. I can't wait to see them in concert.

976-EVIL

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 03, 2020, 09:35 AM

it's like tlid got the wgtb verse chords, the atf feeling, and the fun old school jam awareness of cmnd/ctrl

Nailed It!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

E-Money

Even though Chino or Deftones might not be everyone's cup of tea I think it's very cool to see how whenever they release a new record the whole industry tunes in big time. And I don't see that with every artist. I think it's very cool how everyone stops to check out what Chino is doing whenever he is releasing something new .. he gets respect from other huge artists.. and I think that's rad.

Hoping to get some more music in the future. He's been quiet the last 5 years after really pumping out a ton of material. But I get it he has a family and he wasn't in LA as much. Hope we get a team sleep record. I'll be pretty bummed if they don't at least release a couple of tracks eventually.

only pieces remain

Ceremony
Pompeji
The Spell of Mathematics
Radiant City
Error
Headless
This Link is Dead
Genesis
Urantia
Ohms

Draken

Quote from: E-Money on Oct 04, 2020, 03:46 AM
Hoping to get some more music in the future. He's been quiet the last 5 years after really pumping out a ton of material. But I get it he has a family and he wasn't in LA as much. Hope we get a team sleep record. I'll be pretty bummed if they don't at least release a couple of tracks eventually.

In recent interviews Chino has said that new Crosses and Palms is in the works. I can't even remember the last time he mentioned Team Sleep, and that bums me out. I was just talking about it today how I wished he would revive that project, it's my favorite thing he's done outside of Deftones.

Visionz

Quote from: Inkblades on Oct 03, 2020, 07:09 PM

Good idea on ending with a fade out..... just realized not one track on this record does that! Can someone tell me the last song they faded out on? Cant think from top of my head right now but maybe its been a long time? Street Carp ends perfectly with the fading out. Best one i remember.... that riff at the end kills me every time

Vesanic

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 04, 2020, 02:13 PM
Can someone tell me the last song they faded out on?

I think it was Gauze?

Hidalgo

it might be just because it's new, but this album seems to have the most ear worms of any of their albums. seems every song is pretty catchy

Vesanic

On the DeftonesLive song by song post series, This Link is Dead has now more likes than TSOM. It was also posted a little more recently obviously.

Hidalgo

i feel like "ceremony" and "radiant city" should be the next singles