Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LG95

I'm calling there not being a next single from the album.
I could float here forever

Vesanic

Could be, but Abe said there might be.

Visionz

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 20, 2020, 04:45 AM
Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Oct 19, 2020, 11:57 PM
Finally home!

Nice! Good to see several of you guys finally getting your stuff.

What is the picture below? I only ordered a copy so i havent seen it all

Visionz

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 19, 2020, 10:51 PM
Quote from: Visionz on Oct 19, 2020, 06:17 PM
Im not the only one that believes TLID is likely for their fanbase:

"I have no patience for expectation" screams vocalist Chino Moreno toward the end of TLID, a track toward the end of the new Deftones album, Ohms. The line doubles as a charged lyric in a song in which he also screams "Im filled with true hatred" and as a rallying cry for his band, which for years has navigated the perilous line between it's own creative vision and what it's fanbase wants - or, more to the point, "expects". - Rock Cellar Magazine

When i mentioned it, someone here refused to believe it to the point they seemed aggrivated with me about it  ;D but then, what else is it about then? Btw, its the only track i still cant listen all the way through still

I think I get where you are coming from. However I just can't believe the band is filled up with true hate for its fan base and it's opinions. Not sure they care that much lol

I'm not taking it literally and I don't think it's meant literally. I think it's just the way he expressed it it don't really matter to me as I said it's all good

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 20, 2020, 03:11 PM
Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 20, 2020, 04:45 AM
Finally home!

Nice! Good to see several of you guys finally getting your stuff.

What is the picture below? I only ordered a copy so i havent seen it all

I pre ordered the bundle with magazine, vinyl and shorts.

976-EVIL

OHMS OWNS!

Okay we Need a Knockout Round....
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

defsteve

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Oct 21, 2020, 03:05 AM

Did the zine come on its own ? Ordered the vinyl / zine w/shorts, hoodie and 2 x t-shirts but the zine turned up today in an envelope. No vinyl or any of the others yet.
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

imbrie

I'm still waiting on the vinyl and zine. I'm sure they'll turn up one day.

laurapalmer

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 21, 2020, 05:34 AM
OHMS OWNS!

Okay we Need a Knockout Round....

Only thing it would confirm is what everyone's second favorite song is. Spell would win (Dont 100% agree with that but I wouldn't be mad)

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: defsteve on Oct 21, 2020, 04:48 PM

Did the zine come on its own ? Ordered the vinyl / zine w/shorts, hoodie and 2 x t-shirts but the zine turned up today in an envelope. No vinyl or any of the others yet.

No man, it came all together and I packed the magazine inside the vinyl package carefully.

Far away

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Unpopular opinion: the lyrics to "This Link Is Dead" are likely NOT some sort of juvenile message from the band to fans regarding fans' expectation of Deftones music.

laurapalmer

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on Oct 22, 2020, 04:19 PM
Unpopular opinion: the lyrics to "This Link Is Dead" are likely NOT some sort of juvenile message from the band to fans regarding fans' expectation of Deftones music.

Agree. Don't even know how this became a semi popular opinion

Visionz

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Oct 22, 2020, 02:41 AM
Quote from: defsteve on Oct 21, 2020, 04:48 PM

No man, it came all together and I packed the magazine inside the vinyl package carefully.

What is this magazine? Missed something good did i?

Visionz

I'm not into this song myself. I don't think it's horrible per se. My theory about what the lyrics mean is with almost any Chino lyrics. I think it's tongue-in-cheek thos time around and at the same time it's for us to believe what we want it is to believe like usual...and the way he wrote it, I believe it was designed for some to think that it meant that or whatever you want it to be. I think it's really easy for someone to look at the lyrics while listening to it and believe that's what it's about because people do pick them apart like any band and make suggestions and nitpick what they want them to do rather than what they are doing. I mean it happens here every day. With that being said, I'm not one to say what anything is literally about but I could see that one could think the song means that. at the end of the day, who gives a fuck? I'm interested to hear what else it could be about in someone else's opinion though. And don't simply  give me the "bad relationship" bullshit please... maybe it's about the system? Maybe it's about the music industry? Anyone? Again it doesn't have to be about anything but what do you think?what do you feel while listening to what he says in this track?

Visionz

Help me out here please, in the picture above what is that object with the picture of the music equipment with the wires? Is that a magazine or a book of pictures? I have no idea. I usually just buy the music since the Sergio era And don't really collect or go any deeper than that but I am interested to see what I missed here.

kurtone

Quote from: Visionz on Oct 22, 2020, 11:10 PM
Help me out here please, in the picture above what is that object with the picture of the music equipment with the wires? Is that a magazine or a book of pictures? I have no idea. I usually just buy the music since the Sergio era And don't really collect or go any deeper than that but I am interested to see what I missed here.

It's the zine. Just has a bunch of pics in it. I think most of them have been on Instagram.

nicklav

Quote from: laurapalmer on Oct 22, 2020, 10:19 PM

Agree. Don't even know how this became a semi popular opinion

Someone here kept repeating it semi-regularly from the moment the album was released. Kinda weird if you ask me.

Sal_Ameigh

Finally home!

The production on Ohms is great. Would be cool if Terry Date could've gotten Deftones to record to tape and the Ohms vinyl was released on SuperVinyl by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, https://www.mofi.com/Articles.asp?ID=254, and Ohms was also released on Reel-to-reel through The Tape Project: https://tapeproject.com/

Also as much as I love Terry's work it'd be cool if Deftones built their own studio to record/produce/mix/master/engineer their own EP and take the "Recording studio as an instrument" approach: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recording_studio_as_an_instrument

Sal_Ameigh

I didn't like the song Ohms at first because I was expecting a song to showcase Stephens 9 string. Something heavier or faster  The song has grown on me. The delivery on some of the vocals still seem overbearing in parts on the song Ohms and the album overall though.  I could still hear the song Ohms or any other future guitar heavy song by Deftones with no screaming and just singing sounding really good. Chino's voice isn't generic sounding like some more recent popular guitar bands that get played on the same radio stations that Deftones do.

In that last interview posted Chino referred to their music as having lush parts. Wish there had been a song on the new album that was also just "Lush" all the way through, no heavy guitars, with Chino just singing the whole song to showcase his singing voice.  Something more on the Alternative/Shoegazy/Post Rock/Psychedelic side of the band rather than the Metal side of the band. Like if Frank laid down a synth line, some turntable sounds with heavy use of effects on loop, and Abe a drum beat. Then Chino created a vocal melody over that then Stef and Sergio came in with their parts to add after Chino had his vocals done.

Still a good album. I look forward to hear the band growing and evolving though on any new music they release in the future and not reinvent themselves as Chino also put it in the last interview posted.