Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Korn

Started by Moz La Punk, Feb 22, 2006, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nineteen

Quote from: Gee on May 10, 2013, 01:42 AM
No matter what you think about them, they had always been progressing artistically until Untouchables -to me that album stands next to their S/T and Issues as a classic. They had had a pretty impressive and interesting carreer til 2002.

Then the joke started in '03 with TALITM. SYOTOS was ok, had some good tracks but overall lacked Head's playing. Untitled (really? couldn't find a better name ?) was the same kind of album only less good. Then came the even lamer-titled Korn III blablablah -which made TALITM seems like a great album- and finally...Skrillex happened.

What happened to these guys seriously. I mean they never really had ethic -the adidas/puma partnerships, sucking MTV's dick with the contests and everything, "Y'all want a single fuck that"...gimme a break- but at least they were making good or even great music.

I'll check out a couple of live videos to see Head out of curiosity but they definitely lost me over the years of bullshit. And I mean, as a fan, I stuck for a while.

They were in the Van for years before they got to the level of fame that started to arise at the start of Life Is Peachy. Even in their bands before, so they put in their work.

They did lose their path a bit I must admit but at least they tried experimenting with stuff.

iceache

Quote from: normsteez on May 10, 2013, 02:18 AM
if david would join the band and they were whole again, it would be cool to seem them live again

Why? Ray Luzier is an overall better drummer.

normsteez

Quote from: iceache on May 10, 2013, 11:23 PM
if david would join the band and they were whole again, it would be cool to seem them live again

I dont know who he is, I am just saying Korn was one of the few bands that I really liked in grade school other than deftones. The first album and life is peachy are classics. It was just be cool to see them whole again
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

iceache

Quote from: normsteez on May 11, 2013, 02:26 AM

I dont know who he is, I am just saying Korn was one of the few bands that I really liked in grade school other than deftones. The first album and life is peachy are classics. It was just be cool to see them whole again
he's their new drummer, you can put his name into YouTube search he's got a few videos of him playing.

nineteen

Quote from: iceache on May 11, 2013, 08:39 AM
Quote from: normsteez on May 11, 2013, 02:26 AM

he's their new drummer, you can put his name into YouTube search he's got a few videos of him playing.

Ray breathed new life back into the drums with Korn. David's drumming was spot on until his arms got knackered and had to have an operation.

DJR

KoRn were awesome Pre Untouchables and got me into ALOT of music i love now....

digital bath

Quote from: DJR on May 11, 2013, 02:41 PM

same here.
I loved Korn more then deftones back then, around issues.
take a look in the mirror was also a good album, way better then untouchables.

deftones47

Quote from: DJR on May 11, 2013, 02:41 PM

I'm just now getting into Korn but I have to agree with the first part.

Life Is Peachy is their best album in my opinion. That was metal!

The Path of Totality is shit. It's not even Korn, it's just Jonathan Davis singing over dubstep beats.

sing blue silver

KoRn released a new single called "Never, Never". It's been getting overwhelmingly negative feedback from fans and the album has now been pushed back another week to October 8th. Panic mode perhaps?
  Personally, I think it's fucking horrible. An electronic pop song that is so nauseatingly radio friendly it makes me embarrassed for them. The biggest story for this band in the last 8 years is that Head is finally back in the band and to kick off the release of new material with him they put out a song that features little to no guitars. Does that make any sense to anyone? They should have started off strong and celebrated their guitar players return by putting out a song that showcases that sound but they've once again shot themselves in the foot. Sadly this seems to be a trend for KoRn now, any time they have any excitement built up they end up putting out the most disappointing and underwhelming material ever.
  I gave up on KoRn a long time ago but I was actually starting to get excited about this album. Well maybe excited is the wrong word but I was definitely curious. They used to be one of my favourite bands but after Head left and "See You On The Other Side" came out I walked away in shame. I still root for them to get back on track but every time they put something out I seem to keep saying "No guys! This is even worse than that last lazy crap you put out! Stop shooting yourself in the foot every time an opportunity to do something worthwhile comes around!".
  This song is fucking garbage and once again I'll be walking away from the KoRn camp and accept that at this point they're probably beyond saving. The link is below if you wanna poison your ears with this rubbish but if you've heard "The Path of Totality" then you might as well just skip it.

https://soundcloud.com/kornzone-1/never-never-hq

DeftonesNZ

Yeah it's fucking horrible as much as I want to see a band like Korn do well they just seem so creatively bankrupt, it's really interesting to me though because korn and deftones were always linked and compared to each other in their early days and the paths they've gone is sort of like an example of how a band should age and how one shouldn't I know alot of people don't dig the new Deftones stuff but for every old fan that doesn't like it is a new fan that loves it, Korn isn't losing fans because their doing something new it's because the music itself is bad they've just been reduced to making pop/dubstep songs in an attempt to stay relevant,you can say what you like about Deftones but they never run out of ideas like Korn obviously have, it's getting fucking pathetic I hoped Heads return might spark some life back into the music but it's just declined to a new low.

nineteen

It's only one song. Might fit in with the album's flow and the other songs may be heavier.

Most people just prematurely freak out and decide that one song = the whole album. I think people lost this thing that people had back in the day: Patience.

x Rx King x

Quote from: nineteen on Aug 18, 2013, 05:33 PM
It's only one song. Might fit in with the album's flow and the other songs may be heavier.

Most people just prematurely freak out and decide that one song = the whole album. I think people lost this thing that people had back in the day: Patience.

You're absolutely right. There have been numerous albums over the ages that have shit singles, despite it being a great album. However, this is Korn we're talkin' about. Think about the last couple of albums, especially The Path of Totality. "Get Up!" was garbage, but I gave it a chance, and I found that the album was even worse. "Never Never" is nothing more than your generic, pop-rock radio tune. I have a feeling this is gonna turn out like Megadeth's newest album. Just a shame...

deftones47

Quote from: x Rx King x on Aug 20, 2013, 02:36 PM
"Never Never" is nothing more than your generic, pop-rock radio tune.

Sadly it is. I am glad they're not doing dubstep for this album, but geez.

What happened, Korn? What the hell happened?

SwerveCityUSA

they're problem is the same as any band that finds a lot of success. Drugs, "fame", money and too many girls. they all get soft, stop living reality and make horrible art. then break up and go through the phases while the music absolutely suffers. I haven't really known any really successful band this didn't happen too...I remember hearing some of the newer stuff a few years ago and thought it was cool, but I just don't care, its not what I'm looking for. but it in reality it probably is cool, especially considering most people really don't have any reason to even consider themselves music lovers if alls they want is the same droning guitars, same sound over and over and over and over and over.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

Subliminal

I think there's a war within the band that Jonathan Davis loves Electronic Dance Music now and the others want to play heavy metal, so that's why they've been infused. But I find it ironic that Love and Death's debut album (Head's band) is better than any album Korn has done since he left, so it just goes to show who wrote all the good stuff back in the day.

Even the song Love and Meth could easily fit on Issues or Untouchables and blatantly inspired by Head's return. As a musician, I've given all their releases a go and they're all good for what they are, but I'm really expecting good things from this new album now that Head is back.... we shall see.

nineteen

Kinda dig Love & Meth although it just seem patchy and pasted together.

At least it sounds like Korn; well, the 2nd stage Korn anyway.

sing blue silver

I actually enjoy Love and Meth quite a bit...

Subliminal

All I can say is their new album is a return to form, it's fucking excellent. From beginning to end and it's getting better with every listen. And this is all because of Head returning, the guy is a musical genius.

They seriously trolled everyone with Never, Never. That's for sure.

sing blue silver

I dig it. It's got some weak moments but it's also got some pretty awesome moments. It's the KoRn album I've been waiting for for 10 years. Not a masterpiece but an excellent return to form.