Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan thread

Started by Vesanic, Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drummerboy_123

Quote from: Playhouse on Oct 31, 2012, 11:38 PM
Quote from: Ponte506 on Oct 31, 2012, 10:51 PM
I know this post will most likely catch a lot of flak, but I'm honestly having very mixed feelings about KNY based on the little we've heard.  I've been a Deftones fan since 2000 (13 at the time), and while for many that's considered kinda late in the game to get hooked on them, I've always associated these boys with their best album "Around the Fur".  I think there's a reason people go ape-shit over any song from that album starting up at a live concert, more-so than anything from Adrenaline or even White Pony.  It was Steph's driving guitar, Abe's unique drumming, and of course, Chino's genre-defining screams that just solidified these guys as one of a kind. 

I can't wrap my head around how a lot of you are gushing over "Tempest", which in all honesty...is probably the weakest single these dudes have put out.  There's not really any semblance of the Deftones we all grew up with.  The verses do sound very "southern rock", and the chorus is completely lackluster...totally reminds me of a generic hard rock song that belonged on some mid 2000's horror movie soundtrack like "Freddy vs. Jason".  Not impressed

I kinda feel like there's this divide with a lot of Deftones fans; those who are all about the more metal and aggro guitar riffs and raw screaming from the first three albums, and then the other half that's more about their super-ambient, spacey Frank-driven catalogue, which I really find to be the weakest.  I'm guessing that latter half consists of people that are really into shit like The Mars Volta and Bjork...no thanks.

On the other hand, I'm totally falling for "Poltergeist", because that song is such an ATF throwback (Just like how CMND/CTRL was on Diamond Eyes); it's amazing.  I've heard it live, and with the Steph only guitar drive followed by the vocal patterns and aggression we all loved on ATF, this song really stands out, and I can't wait to hear the studio version.  I could care less about other people's track by track reviews, because most of them (magazine/blog wise) are usually biased and filled with so much fluff talk, they lose track of conveying the important points that we're curious about in the first place. 

I really feel like the "You should love all of their work" sentiment is total bullshit.  Saturday Night Wrist is their weakest album...hands down, so when I hear "Tempest" and "Rosemary" filled with clashing guitars, Frank spinning as many audio samples as he can find, and a total absence of the awesome aggression that they were the forerunners for in the late 90's, it comes off as SNW 2.0, and that's a bummer. 

(Almost done with this essay folks).  I'm not going to say that their more melodic, "softer" songs are bad.  Songs like "Change" and "Digital Bath" completely fit the era when they were released.  2000-2001 just had this very dark/technological scene in the music industry, and it was awesome.  The ambiance and atmosphere of those songs are timeless, as opposed to songs like "Beware" and "Minerva" that really don't give me any sense of awe...they're just atmospheric and soft "just to not be heavy". 

I'm hearing some really good stuff about "Swerve City" and "Romantic Dreams", which I'm hoping bring out the classic elements of the Deftones that tear shit up.

Will this be an amazing album?  Most likely.  Chino's vocals have been awesome since Diamond Eyes, and that record was such an awesome reward for having to deal with SNW. 

I just hope we don't have half the album as "Sextape 2.0", "Kim Dracula 2.0", and "Riviere 2.0".  I honestly feel like we will never get another "Lotion", "Around the Fur", or "Engine No. 9". 

But then again.........we do have Poltergeist ;)

I guess everyone is different. Beware, kimdracula, rivière combat and rats take me somewhere else when I listen to them. To me SNW is just as incredible as around the fur.

Exactly how I feel  :D
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3

Ponte506

That whole "they're not angry anymore, it's time for them to grow up" argument is fucked three ways to Sunday.  Who gives a shit if they wrote it when they were angry?  Chino's lyrics are so god-damn cryptic from Adrenaline/Around the Fur that any type of meaning you want to stick to it is irrelevant.  Those songs produce more emotion and raw energy than any 8-string chug fest from Leathers or Rosemary.

I'm not a big fan of 7 Words, but that song is an awesome crowd experience live.  Beware?  Minerva?  I almost fall asleep to that shit.

And I highly disagree with having Frank play some 4 note chords on synth throughout a song and Chino chiming in on his guitar every so often as the band "evolving". From 13+ years of guitar and covering every 'tones song in their catalogue, I can promise you Steph produced more intricate riffs on one Adrenaline song than all of SNW, DE, and the current KNY songs combined.

SquealLikeaPig

Quote from: Ponte506 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:35 PM
Quote from: Jacob on Oct 31, 2012, 11:12 PM
some of you guys should realize it's not the 90's and nu-metal isn't cool anymore. I'm fucking glad Deftones managed to move away from that scene and show they're really capable musicians. some of you don't seem to appreciate that as much.

That's another problem...there's what I feel an epidemic of hipsters in metal.  Certain bands that people used to head-bang to in the 90's/2000's are automatically shunned now because a giant scene of metal/rock douche nozzles collectively decided it wasn't "cool".  There's a reason why "Be Quiet and Drive", "Lotion", "Around the Fur", "Engine No. 9", "Nosebleed" and "My Own Summer" are some of the best songs the Deftones have ever made...they just fucking rock.  They're aggressive, the riffs are killer, and they don't try to pull any punches.  The break-down in Be Quiet and Drive, as simple as it is, is just as magnificent for a lot of us the first time we heard it.

I get it...nu-metal was being flooded with "Crazy Town", and a parade of other sub-par to straight horrible bands that were devastating to the genre.  Instead of refining it, most bands (like Deftones, Linkin Park, Slipknot) decided to jump ship and venture out into uncharted territory. Linkin Park failed miserably (every album after Meteora was a disaster), Slipknot got a lot more technical and flourished, Staind started venturing into radio-friendly bullshit like It's Been Awhile *even though they completely redeemed themselves by returning to their 90's roots with their seventh album last year that fucking rocks*, and our boys  made White Pony and survived the early 2000's with their ground-breaking new material. 

Anyone left doing what they felt like doing were cast-aside as "lame", and then all the band wagoners jumped on the collectively awful dicks of bands like Taking Back Sunday...then they started gobbling the knobs of The Strokes, which lead them to throat-hug even more choad bands like MGMT and the such to show how avant garde and eclectic their musical taste was while listening to obscure death-metal bands from Bumblefuck, Europe that have an awe-inspiring career of 2.5 years...you guys get the picture.

I agree with everything you just said.  Also, I'm glad to hear the Staind album is good.  I gave up on them a while back so I haven't listened to it.  I have something to check out while I wait for KNY to leak.

ominousnimbus

I know this post will most likely catch a lot of flak, but I'm honestly having very mixed feelings about KNY based on the little we've heard.  I've been a Deftones fan since 2000 (13 at the time), and while for many that's considered kinda late in the game to get hooked on them, I've always associated these boys with their best album "Around the Fur".  I think there's a reason people go ape-shit over any song from that album starting up at a live concert, more-so than anything from Adrenaline or even White Pony.  It was Steph's driving guitar, Abe's unique drumming, and of course, Chino's genre-defining screams that just solidified these guys as one of a kind. 

I can't wrap my head around how a lot of you are gushing over "Tempest", which in all honesty...is probably the weakest single these dudes have put out.  There's not really any semblance of the Deftones we all grew up with.  The verses do sound very "southern rock", and the chorus is completely lackluster...totally reminds me of a generic hard rock song that belonged on some mid 2000's horror movie soundtrack like "Freddy vs. Jason".  Not impressed

I kinda feel like there's this divide with a lot of Deftones fans; those who are all about the more metal and aggro guitar riffs and raw screaming from the first three albums, and then the other half that's more about their super-ambient, spacey Frank-driven catalogue, which I really find to be the weakest.  I'm guessing that latter half consists of people that are really into shit like The Mars Volta and Bjork...no thanks.

On the other hand, I'm totally falling for "Poltergeist", because that song is such an ATF throwback (Just like how CMND/CTRL was on Diamond Eyes); it's amazing.  I've heard it live, and with the Steph only guitar drive followed by the vocal patterns and aggression we all loved on ATF, this song really stands out, and I can't wait to hear the studio version.  I could care less about other people's track by track reviews, because most of them (magazine/blog wise) are usually biased and filled with so much fluff talk, they lose track of conveying the important points that we're curious about in the first place. 

I really feel like the "You should love all of their work" sentiment is total bullshit.  Saturday Night Wrist is their weakest album...hands down, so when I hear "Tempest" and "Rosemary" filled with clashing guitars, Frank spinning as many audio samples as he can find, and a total absence of the awesome aggression that they were the forerunners for in the late 90's, it comes off as SNW 2.0, and that's a bummer. 

(Almost done with this essay folks).  I'm not going to say that their more melodic, "softer" songs are bad.  Songs like "Change" and "Digital Bath" completely fit the era when they were released.  2000-2001 just had this very dark/technological scene in the music industry, and it was awesome.  The ambiance and atmosphere of those songs are timeless, as opposed to songs like "Beware" and "Minerva" that really don't give me any sense of awe...they're just atmospheric and soft "just to not be heavy". 

I'm hearing some really good stuff about "Swerve City" and "Romantic Dreams", which I'm hoping bring out the classic elements of the Deftones that tear shit up.

Will this be an amazing album?  Most likely.  Chino's vocals have been awesome since Diamond Eyes, and that record was such an awesome reward for having to deal with SNW. 

I just hope we don't have half the album as "Sextape 2.0", "Kim Dracula 2.0", and "Riviere 2.0".  I honestly feel like we will never get another "Lotion", "Around the Fur", or "Engine No. 9". 

Funny thing... we're the same age and got into the band at the same time. I remember hearing "Change" on the radio in June or July 2000, and waiting for the DJ to announce the artist after it finished. Been a  fan ever since and bought all their releases from that point on, plus went back and got ATF.

I suppose I'm a hybrid of the camps you mentioned. I do like The Mars Volta, and find Deftones to be at their best when blending aggression with atmosphere (Change, Passenger, WGTB). However, I will plainly admit to hating Adrenaline. Don't own it, and have never listened to it all the way through without getting bored (no pun intended) and skipping around. On the other hand, I'd agree with you that SNW is their weakest effort post-Adrenaline.

Basically, I just wanted to say that I'm completely with you on "Tempest." It is just plain disappointing, and I don't understand why it's been praised so widely, other than the typical syndrome of fans not wanting to accept disappointment upon any release. It is the weakest single they've dropped in their career thus far, and it's not even very close, IMO. The only saving grace is the intro and outro; the meat of the song is downright corporate-rock and boring.

Between Leathers and Rosemary, I'm still very optimistic for the record, though. Granted, that's mainly because of the atmospheric elements, so you probably have reason to be worried.  :P

FNatt

"SNW is their weakest album, hands down" ? You have an opinion and that's perfect. But don't say "hands down" as in " if you think that way then it MUST be true".
On a different note, I am glad somebody agrees with me about the SNW-KNY similarities so far.

Ponte506

@Jacob: As simple as CMND/CTRL is, like I said, it's an awesome throwback to the Adrenaline/ATF days...excellent groove, that "nu-metal" vibe we all loved in the verses...a solid song.

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: Ponte506 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:44 PM
That whole "they're not angry anymore, it's time for them to grow up" argument is fucked three ways to Sunday.  Who gives a shit if they wrote it when they were angry?  Chino's lyrics are so god-damn cryptic from Adrenaline/Around the Fur that any type of meaning you want to stick to it is irrelevant.  Those songs produce more emotion and raw energy than any 8-string chug fest from Leathers or Rosemary.

I'm not a big fan of 7 Words, but that song is an awesome crowd experience live.  Beware?  Minerva?  I almost fall asleep to that shit.

And I highly disagree with having Frank play some 4 note chords on synth throughout a song and Chino chiming in on his guitar every so often as the band "evolving". From 13+ years of guitar and covering every 'tones song in their catalogue, I can promise you Steph produced more intricate riffs on one Adrenaline song than all of SNW, DE, and the current KNY songs combined.

Ok cool. So why are you on this forum? Sounds like you're a fan from back in the gap whining about how they no longer scream and tear shit up like they used to. They're older, their tastes have changed, they evolve. Who wants to hear the same fucking record over and over? If I wanted that - then I would listen to Chevelle or some bullshit like that..

Who cares, just take it for what it is. If you don't like it, then fine - no sense in coming in this forum getting everyone worked up over your opinion. You haven't said anything that I haven't read someone else say many times over..

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: Ponte506 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:47 PM
@Jacob: As simple as CMND/CTRL is, like I said, it's an awesome throwback to the Adrenaline/ATF days...excellent groove, that "nu-metal" vibe we all loved in the verses...a solid song.

CMDN/CTRL had a serious HELMET vibe to me. I really enjoyed that song from DE

Bifrost

I am not a huge fan of 7 words but I have to admit when they bust it out live it does have great energy to it... personally I would like to see them close with pink maggit, that would be awesome

SquealLikeaPig

Quote from: Drummerboy_123 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:44 PM
Quote from: Playhouse on Oct 31, 2012, 11:38 PM

I guess everyone is different. Beware, kimdracula, rivière combat and rats take me somewhere else when I listen to them. To me SNW is just as incredible as around the fur.

Exactly how I feel  :D

Same here.  I love SNW.  It actually had to grow on me.  I didn't know what to think at first and songs like Rapture and Rats had to grow on me.  I really didn't like them at first but the more I listened they ended up becoming favorites of mine.  I listened to Rats two times on my way home a little while ago.  The softer songs like Cherry Waves have a haunting vibe to them that is just so cool and chilling.  I really have a hard time ranking the album because I want to put it at #1 but that would mean I would have to move White Pony which is sacred.  SNW is right up there for me though.

Ponte506

Quote from: FNatt on Oct 31, 2012, 11:46 PM

"SNW is their weakest album, hands down" ? You have an opinion and that's perfect. But don't say "hands down" as in " if you think that way then it MUST be true".
On a different note, I am glad somebody agrees with me about the SNW-KNY similarities so far.
You're right.  Definitely didn't mean to come off as my opinion being law...that statement was more like a definitive aspect of my outlook on their albums...I really do not like SNW except for Rapture, because back when I saw it on youtube as "FM", I was enthralled with how awesome it sounded live.  Rest of the album....Chino is struggling BIG TIME to get those high notes out, and the Hole in the Earth and Mein videos left a horrible taste in my mouth for that era.

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: Bifrost on Oct 31, 2012, 11:49 PM
I am not a huge fan of 7 words but I have to admit when they bust it out live it does have great energy to it... personally I would like to see them close with pink maggit, that would be awesome

Yeah, I wish they would include some of their other songs from time to time in their live sets. Maybe Rats!Rats!Rats!, Battle-Axe, Street Carp, Can't Even Breathe, Teething, etc.

Usurper

I get what youre trying to say, I love their aggressive side just as much as anyone. However, they have been playing original music since 1988.  I cant speak for anyone else, but if I were composing music for 24 years, Im pretty sure I would not want to be writing the exact same style of music all throughout.

I dont think people are saying Steph is evolving as a guitar player, I think they are trying to say the sound of the band as a whole is evolving.
-[usurper]-

lungdamage

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:48 PM
Quote from: Ponte506 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:47 PM

CMDN/CTRL had a serious HELMET vibe to me. I really enjoyed that song from DE

+1 does sound helmety

DeftonesNZ

It you want an angry album listen to adrenaline the reason it was so good is because it was what they were feeling at that time if they did that now it wouldn't be sincere because they aren't angry teenagers and as a result you would hear that they are insincere in the music,How the fuck are people surprised Deftones aren't doing adrenaline type stuff they would be non existent if they didn't evolve,And you must not be a guitar player the adrenaline stuff is just as easy to play as their other stuff don't confuse fast with difficult

alan1o

it's my birthday on friday, i'm 27 :(. i well hope it leaks for it, that'd be awesome.

Ponte506

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:48 PM

Ok cool. So why are you on this forum? Sounds like you're a fan from back in the gap whining about how they no longer scream and tear shit up like they used to. They're older, their tastes have changed, they evolve. Who wants to hear the same fucking record over and over? If I wanted that - then I would listen to Chevelle or some bullshit like that..

Who cares, just take it for what it is. If you don't like it, then fine - no sense in coming in this forum getting everyone worked up over your opinion. You haven't said anything that I haven't read someone else say many times over..

I'm probably on this forum because I've been lurking here on my original handle (just 'Ponte') since...what....2001?  They're my favorite band, hands down...but just like anything you love, if you're an honest person, and don't choad-choke a band to the point that you gloss over their mis-givings, then I've got every right to mention the not so cheery aspects of the band. 

What I wrote was a detailed opinion on the current state of the band...nothing more, nothing less.  I can't tell you how proud I am to be a fan of this band, and their music has been there in a lot of milestones in my life...the good and the bad.  Why am I discussing it? I dunno...could have sworn that's what forums were for, not sifting through 300 or so pages of "PM ME YO!".

Perhaps if you're not keen in hearing people relay an honest (and mostly accurate) opinion on the Deftones, then why are YOU here?

from_musings

bewareofrats

You're full of it Ponte.  Chino doesn't sound like he's struggling at all with the high notes on SNW.  Those are some of his very best high notes and they sound excellent.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

BallZDeeP

SquealLikeaPig how much time left on your countdown?