Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan thread

Started by Vesanic, Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Ponte506 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:44 PM
Beware?  Minerva?  I almost fall asleep to that shit.

But, those songs are so cool  :(

lungdamage

here comes troll'y boo boo...

m1nusblindfoLd

Quote from: bewareofrats on Oct 31, 2012, 11:58 PM
You're full of it Ponte.  Chino doesn't sound like he's struggling at all with the high notes on SNW.  Those are some of his very best high notes and they sound excellent.

He's struggling...

bewareofrats

Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Nov 01, 2012, 12:01 AM
You're full of it Ponte.  Chino doesn't sound like he's struggling at all with the high notes on SNW.  Those are some of his very best high notes and they sound excellent.

He's struggling...
Then he's struggling on every single Deftones album.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

m1nusblindfoLd

Quote from: bewareofrats on Nov 01, 2012, 12:02 AM

He's struggling...

After self-titled? yes

only pieces remain

Quote from: alan1o on Oct 31, 2012, 11:55 PM
it's my birthday on friday, i'm 27 :(. i well hope it leaks for it, that'd be awesome.

mine is the 13th 8)

bewareofrats

Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Nov 01, 2012, 12:03 AM

He's struggling...

After self-titled? yes
No, every album.

Ponte506

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Oct 31, 2012, 11:54 PM
Quote from: Ponte506 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:44 PM
That whole "they're not angry anymore, it's time for them to grow up" argument is fucked three ways to Sunday.  Who gives a shit if they wrote it when they were angry?  Chino's lyrics are so god-damn cryptic from Adrenaline/Around the Fur that any type of meaning you want to stick to it is irrelevant.  Those songs produce more emotion and raw energy than any 8-string chug fest from Leathers or Rosemary.

I'm not a big fan of 7 Words, but that song is an awesome crowd experience live.  Beware?  Minerva?  I almost fall asleep to that shit.

And I highly disagree with having Frank play some 4 note chords on synth throughout a song and Chino chiming in on his guitar every so often as the band "evolving". From 13  years of guitar and covering every 'tones song in their catalogue, I can promise you Steph produced more intricate riffs on one Adrenaline song than all of SNW, DE, and the current KNY songs combined.
It you want an angry album listen to adrenaline the reason it was so good is because it was what they were feeling at that time if they did that now it wouldn't be sincere because they aren't angry teenagers and as a result you would hear that they are insincere in the music,How the fuck are people surprised Deftones aren't doing adrenaline type stuff they would be non existent if they didn't evolve,And you must not be a guitar player the adrenaline stuff is just as easy to play as their other stuff don't confuse fast with difficult

You don't need to have mommy and daddy issues to make aggressive, in your face music...there are so many outer-personal subjects to heavy music about that could never relate to a damn thing you've ever experienced (war, crime, pollution, Nickelback still being a record-making band, etc).  Fuck...Chino used to write about NOTHING back in the day; he was just really, REALLY good at combining a lot of artsy words to string together a cool sounding song.  Can't be that hard to replicate.

A lot of it has to do with a "fan service" if you will.  Now don't take this as the "WE DESERVE BLSDKFJSL:DKJFS" argument, but I honestly feel like releasing songs that are SOMEWHAT reminiscent of your roots that got 98% of your fan based hooked in the first place is just an awesome gesture and keeps them happy.  I totally get trying to "evolve", and hell, White Pony proved how that evolution created something wonderful...but it was the throwbacks to their earlier worked interwoven with their new material that really made the listening experience special. 

And DeftonesNZ...clearly I don't play guitar (could care less if you like this song):

Staind - Now (Solo Cover)

lungdamage

He's struggling...

i'm going to have to disagree, IMO he doesn't sound in the best shape on SNW.

Ponte506

You can hear the fat strangling his vocal chords half the album...

"There's a hole in the earrrrrrrth, I'm AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWT"

lungdamage

but even when he fucks up 'hate' in 'i hate all of my friends..'  in hole in the earth live, he still sounds wicked, just sounds like he's choking up because of the emotion ;)

N0S3BLEED976

Deftones probably wouldn't be my favorite band if it weren't for jams like Rivière, Digital Bath, RX Queen, Sextape, 976-Evil, etc. Although I love their aggressive songs just as much, only having songs in which you get yelled at your face would be fucking bland and unvaried...

shoop

Quote from: only pieces remain on Nov 01, 2012, 12:03 AM
Quote from: alan1o on Oct 31, 2012, 11:55 PM
it's my birthday on friday, i'm 27 :(. i well hope it leaks for it, that'd be awesome.

mine is the 13th 8)
the 12th here  8)

xToxin

Hole In The Earth was one of the good songs vocally on SNW

bewareofrats

Quote from: lungdamage on Nov 01, 2012, 12:05 AM

He's struggling...

i'm going to have to disagree, IMO he doesn't sound in the best shape on SNW.
Good for you people.  I can see what you are saying if you're talking about the screaming, but not the singing.  I'm just sick of the endless criticism, like it has to be criticized because it's SNW.  I'm well used to the different criticism for the album and can leave most of it but saying the singing is weak or it sounds like Chino is struggling with that on SNW is pure bullshit.  His live performances at the time have nothing to do with the album.

fuzzylogics

And by 'intricate riffs' you mean standard power chords on a standard tuning 6-string guitar. His progressions and tone were the key to Adrenaline. It was definitely unique at the time but theres no way to duplicate that over 6 albums without sounding stale.

N0S3BLEED976

We're slightly drifting towards the bullshit y off-topic territory. Oh, what am I saying? We are already in the thick of it.

nineteen

Each album reflects a time in their lives. Simple as. People in bands change like any other human being and it's unfortunate that it is forgotten.

What you get is band members changing which is reflected in their music, which in turn depends on if it relates to a fan at a particular time in their own lives. When these opposites collide, it results in a fan not listening to the band anymore and labelled sell-outs or a blind disregard of their future work.

Stick with bands. They fluctuate like anything else.

Roll on release day.

Drummerboy_123

Well the longest month of the year is officially over!

KNY time!
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3

bewareofrats

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:13 AM
We're slightly drifting towards the bullshit y off-topic territory. Oh, what am I saying? We are already in the thick of it.
We've been in the thick of it since page 1.