Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan thread

Started by Vesanic, Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

I agree with Ponte on Tempest, although I might like it a little better. It has good parts, but there's something about it that never quite comes together. At the same time, it is stuck in my head. I dunno. I'd still take it over Diamond Eyes (the song).

Usurper

Quote from: Inkblades on Oct 31, 2012, 11:10 PM
I agree with Ponte on Tempest, although I might like it a little better. It has good parts, but there's something about it that never quite comes together. At the same time, it is stuck in my head. I dunno. I'd still take it over Diamond Eyes (the song).

It's possible you may change your mind when you hear it in the context of the album. Something to think about.
-[usurper]-

Jacob

some of you guys should realize it's not the 90's and nu-metal isn't cool anymore. I'm fucking glad Deftones managed to move away from that scene and show they're really capable musicians. some of you don't seem to appreciate that as much.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

fuzzylogics

Quote from: Ponte506 on Oct 31, 2012, 10:51 PM
I know this post will most likely catch a lot of flak, but I'm honestly having very mixed feelings about KNY based on the little we've heard.  I've been a Deftones fan since 2000 (13 at the time), and while for many that's considered kinda late in the game to get hooked on them, I've always associated these boys with their best album "Around the Fur".  I think there's a reason people go ape-shit over any song from that album starting up at a live concert, more-so than anything from Adrenaline or even White Pony.  It was Steph's driving guitar, Abe's unique drumming, and of course, Chino's genre-defining screams that just solidified these guys as one of a kind. 

I can't wrap my head around how a lot of you are gushing over "Tempest", which in all honesty...is probably the weakest single these dudes have put out.  There's not really any semblance of the Deftones we all grew up with.  The verses do sound very "southern rock", and the chorus is completely lackluster...totally reminds me of a generic hard rock song that belonged on some mid 2000's horror movie soundtrack like "Freddy vs. Jason".  Not impressed

I kinda feel like there's this divide with a lot of Deftones fans; those who are all about the more metal and aggro guitar riffs and raw screaming from the first three albums, and then the other half that's more about their super-ambient, spacey Frank-driven catalogue, which I really find to be the weakest.  I'm guessing that latter half consists of people that are really into shit like The Mars Volta and Bjork...no thanks.

On the other hand, I'm totally falling for "Poltergeist", because that song is such an ATF throwback (Just like how CMND/CTRL was on Diamond Eyes); it's amazing.  I've heard it live, and with the Steph only guitar drive followed by the vocal patterns and aggression we all loved on ATF, this song really stands out, and I can't wait to hear the studio version.  I could care less about other people's track by track reviews, because most of them (magazine/blog wise) are usually biased and filled with so much fluff talk, they lose track of conveying the important points that we're curious about in the first place. 

I really feel like the "You should love all of their work" sentiment is total bullshit.  Saturday Night Wrist is their weakest album...hands down, so when I hear "Tempest" and "Rosemary" filled with clashing guitars, Frank spinning as many audio samples as he can find, and a total absence of the awesome aggression that they were the forerunners for in the late 90's, it comes off as SNW 2.0, and that's a bummer. 

(Almost done with this essay folks).  I'm not going to say that their more melodic, "softer" songs are bad.  Songs like "Change" and "Digital Bath" completely fit the era when they were released.  2000-2001 just had this very dark/technological scene in the music industry, and it was awesome.  The ambiance and atmosphere of those songs are timeless, as opposed to songs like "Beware" and "Minerva" that really don't give me any sense of awe...they're just atmospheric and soft "just to not be heavy". 

I'm hearing some really good stuff about "Swerve City" and "Romantic Dreams", which I'm hoping bring out the classic elements of the Deftones that tear shit up.

Will this be an amazing album?  Most likely.  Chino's vocals have been awesome since Diamond Eyes, and that record was such an awesome reward for having to deal with SNW. 

I just hope we don't have half the album as "Sextape 2.0", "Kim Dracula 2.0", and "Riviere 2.0".  I honestly feel like we will never get another "Lotion", "Around the Fur", or "Engine No. 9". 

But then again.........we do have Poltergeist ;) 

I think if they were to go back down the power chord, scream, scream path... you'd be pretty disappointed. It's hard to make music with that type of emotion if you're just faking it or doing it for the sake of making music like that.

They've obviously grown into different elements. Which is what artists should do, in all mediums.

For the record; I appreciate both aspects for what they are and enjoy both.

fuzzylogics

Quote from: Jacob on Oct 31, 2012, 11:12 PM
some of you guys should realize it's not the 90's and nu-metal isn't cool anymore. I'm fucking glad Deftones managed to move away from that scene and show they're really capable musicians. some of you don't seem to appreciate that as much.

+1  ... I'm not an angry 14 year old anymore.

xToxin

Hey now let's not get carried away, and just say. . they're making the albums they want to make. You gotta respect it.

bewareofrats

No flak here, you're entitled to your opinion.  No one is suggesting that you should love everything they have done. Not everyone only loves deftones for their heavy elements.  I feel like a vast majority appreciate the band for their diversity.  I dont know about future albums, but youre not going to get many tear shit up moments with KNY.  Poltergeist, goon squad, and swerve (kind of)
I figured people shouldn't get their hopes up too much that Romantic Dreams would be a real monster.  You didn't add it and I think it's the song people expected would have the most screams.  But I think I'd kind of add Leathers to your list.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

DAFTPUNK87

exactly.. geez here it is 2012, all these years later and fans still harping on wanting another ATF-style album. If you try not to have any expectations for the album, then you can listen to it and make a real judgement on what it is. Just take it for what it is, if it truly sucks then it sucks, but don't expect any crazy screaming and total aggression all throughout because I really doubt it's going to be like that.

I'm sure there will be a few aggressive songs here and there - but for the most part - its going to be a blend of their heaviness with a lot of melodic stuff to compliment it.

THE IMPORTANT THING IS IF THE MUSIC MOVES YOU AND IF YOU CAN EXPERIENCE THE ALBUM AND TAKE SOMETHING FROM IT.

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

only pieces remain

Quote from: fuzzylogics on Oct 31, 2012, 11:19 PM

+1  ... I'm not an angry 14 year old anymore.

Bifrost

I know I could careless if Romantic Dreams is a real monster or not, I just hope its a good song...

gotta admit I am feeling some remorse about listening to 4 songs now that have been released now that the album is so close, but I couldnt help myself

I definitely miss the old days when you get an album and maybe you knew one song on it (the single) and the rest was new and for you to explore, this album has 11 songs and I am already 4 deep... pff

DAFTPUNK87

Yeah, and neither is the band "angry". Even Chino has stated before that if they didn't have to play 7 Words again, he'd be fine with that because he wrote that song when he was an angry teenager and he just doesn't feel that way anymore. The fans have to learn to except that they aren't that angry aggressive style Deftones that they once were. They still have that feel and aggressiveness about them, but you gotta evolve along with the band, and ride it out with them.

I just thank god they aren't like Incubus with Brandon Boyd singing shit like "Love Hurts".. FML

only pieces remain

I don't count poltergeist because its been only the live version so far. Yeah the music will probably be 99% similar to what weve heard live, but the vocals will be way different and better i am sure. For one we'll actually be able to hear what chino is saying and the vocals will be more aggressive on the studio version.

DarkKnight85

only reese's pieces remain ::)

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: only pieces remain on Oct 31, 2012, 11:30 PM
I don't count poltergeist because its been only the live version so far. Yeah the music will probably be 99% similar to what weve heard live, but the vocals will be way different and better i am sure. For one we'll actually be able to hear what chino is saying and the vocals will be more aggressive on the studio version.

Word. Right now, I just wanna hear the damn album as a whole lol. I could honestly care less how heavy/aggressive/soft/melodic it is. I just wanna hear it as a whole and figure it out for myself and make my own judgement. I know I'm going to love it, and I know it's going to have all of the elements that Deftones always have.

Ponte506

That's another problem...there's what I feel an epidemic of hipsters in metal.  Certain bands that people used to head-bang to in the 90's/2000's are automatically shunned now because a giant scene of metal/rock douche nozzles collectively decided it wasn't "cool".  There's a reason why "Be Quiet and Drive", "Lotion", "Around the Fur", "Engine No. 9", "Nosebleed" and "My Own Summer" are some of the best songs the Deftones have ever made...they just fucking rock.  They're aggressive, the riffs are killer, and they don't try to pull any punches.  The break-down in Be Quiet and Drive, as simple as it is, is just as magnificent for a lot of us the first time we heard it.

I get it...nu-metal was being flooded with "Crazy Town", and a parade of other sub-par to straight horrible bands that were devastating to the genre.  Instead of refining it, most bands (like Deftones, Linkin Park, Slipknot) decided to jump ship and venture out into uncharted territory. Linkin Park failed miserably (every album after Meteora was a disaster), Slipknot got a lot more technical and flourished, Staind started venturing into radio-friendly bullshit like It's Been Awhile *even though they completely redeemed themselves by returning to their 90's roots with their seventh album last year that fucking rocks*, and our boys  made White Pony and survived the early 2000's with their ground-breaking new material. 

Anyone left doing what they felt like doing were cast-aside as "lame", and then all the band wagoners jumped on the collectively awful dicks of bands like Taking Back Sunday...then they started gobbling the knobs of The Strokes, which lead them to throat-hug even more choad bands like MGMT and the such to show how avant garde and eclectic their musical taste was while listening to obscure death-metal bands from Bumblefuck, Europe that have an awe-inspiring career of 2.5 years...you guys get the picture.

lungdamage

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:28 PM
Yeah, and neither is the band "angry". Even Chino has stated before that if they didn't have to play 7 Words again, he'd be fine with that because he wrote that song when he was an angry teenager and he just doesn't feel that way anymore. The fans have to learn to except that they aren't that angry aggressive style Deftones that they once were. They still have that feel and aggressiveness about them, but you gotta evolve along with the band, and ride it out with them.

I just thank god they aren't like Incubus with Brandon Boyd singing shit like "Love Hurts".. FML

re: 7 words - then why end it with it ritualistically ....every...fucking......time !?  fuck sake. +1 to myself

Playhouse

Quote from: Ponte506 on Oct 31, 2012, 10:51 PM
I know this post will most likely catch a lot of flak, but I'm honestly having very mixed feelings about KNY based on the little we've heard.  I've been a Deftones fan since 2000 (13 at the time), and while for many that's considered kinda late in the game to get hooked on them, I've always associated these boys with their best album "Around the Fur".  I think there's a reason people go ape-shit over any song from that album starting up at a live concert, more-so than anything from Adrenaline or even White Pony.  It was Steph's driving guitar, Abe's unique drumming, and of course, Chino's genre-defining screams that just solidified these guys as one of a kind. 

I can't wrap my head around how a lot of you are gushing over "Tempest", which in all honesty...is probably the weakest single these dudes have put out.  There's not really any semblance of the Deftones we all grew up with.  The verses do sound very "southern rock", and the chorus is completely lackluster...totally reminds me of a generic hard rock song that belonged on some mid 2000's horror movie soundtrack like "Freddy vs. Jason".  Not impressed

I kinda feel like there's this divide with a lot of Deftones fans; those who are all about the more metal and aggro guitar riffs and raw screaming from the first three albums, and then the other half that's more about their super-ambient, spacey Frank-driven catalogue, which I really find to be the weakest.  I'm guessing that latter half consists of people that are really into shit like The Mars Volta and Bjork...no thanks.

On the other hand, I'm totally falling for "Poltergeist", because that song is such an ATF throwback (Just like how CMND/CTRL was on Diamond Eyes); it's amazing.  I've heard it live, and with the Steph only guitar drive followed by the vocal patterns and aggression we all loved on ATF, this song really stands out, and I can't wait to hear the studio version.  I could care less about other people's track by track reviews, because most of them (magazine/blog wise) are usually biased and filled with so much fluff talk, they lose track of conveying the important points that we're curious about in the first place. 

I really feel like the "You should love all of their work" sentiment is total bullshit.  Saturday Night Wrist is their weakest album...hands down, so when I hear "Tempest" and "Rosemary" filled with clashing guitars, Frank spinning as many audio samples as he can find, and a total absence of the awesome aggression that they were the forerunners for in the late 90's, it comes off as SNW 2.0, and that's a bummer. 

(Almost done with this essay folks).  I'm not going to say that their more melodic, "softer" songs are bad.  Songs like "Change" and "Digital Bath" completely fit the era when they were released.  2000-2001 just had this very dark/technological scene in the music industry, and it was awesome.  The ambiance and atmosphere of those songs are timeless, as opposed to songs like "Beware" and "Minerva" that really don't give me any sense of awe...they're just atmospheric and soft "just to not be heavy". 

I'm hearing some really good stuff about "Swerve City" and "Romantic Dreams", which I'm hoping bring out the classic elements of the Deftones that tear shit up.

Will this be an amazing album?  Most likely.  Chino's vocals have been awesome since Diamond Eyes, and that record was such an awesome reward for having to deal with SNW. 

I just hope we don't have half the album as "Sextape 2.0", "Kim Dracula 2.0", and "Riviere 2.0".  I honestly feel like we will never get another "Lotion", "Around the Fur", or "Engine No. 9". 

But then again.........we do have Poltergeist ;)

I guess everyone is different. Beware, kimdracula, rivière combat and rats take me somewhere else when I listen to them. To me SNW is just as incredible as around the fur.

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: lungdamage on Oct 31, 2012, 11:35 PM

re: 7 words - then why end it with it ritualistically ....every...fucking......time !?  fuck sake. +1 to myself

I know, they close out with it all the time. because it's what their fans want to hear. I just remember an interviewer asked him "If there was one song ya'll never had to play again what would it be?" and Chino thought for a second and said "I'd have to say 7 Words. Because when I wrote it I was angry and I just don't feel that way anymore, but we play it because the fans want to hear it. And I still love the song and love playing it, I'm just not angry anymore.. mixed emotions about it"

lungdamage

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:38 PM
Quote from: lungdamage on Oct 31, 2012, 11:35 PM

I know, they close out with it all the time. because it's what their fans want to hear. I just remember an interviewer asked him "If there was one song ya'll never had to play again what would it be?" and Chino thought for a second and said "I'd have to say 7 Words. Because when I wrote it I was angry and I just don't feel that way anymore, but we play it because the fans want to hear it. And I still love the song and love playing it, I'm just not angry anymore.. mixed emotions about it"

i was a bit confusing...
i don't agree with the fans wanting to hear the same song as a closer every show. that's bullshit ;)

don't even play 7 words at all a few times, no one will care.

Jacob

Quote from: Ponte506 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:35 PM
That's another problem...there's what I feel an epidemic of hipsters in metal.  Certain bands that people used to head-bang to in the 90's/2000's are automatically shunned now because a giant scene of metal/rock douche nozzles collectively decided it wasn't "cool".  There's a reason why "Be Quiet and Drive", "Lotion", "Around the Fur", "Engine No. 9", "Nosebleed" and "My Own Summer" are some of the best songs the Deftones have ever made...they just fucking rock.  They're aggressive, the riffs are killer, and they don't try to pull any punches.  The break-down in Be Quiet and Drive, as simple as it is, is just as magnificent for a lot of us the first time we heard it.

I get it...nu-metal was being flooded with "Crazy Town", and a parade of other sub-par to straight horrible bands that were devastating to the genre.  Instead of refining it, most bands (like Deftones, Linkin Park, Slipknot) decided to jump ship and venture out into uncharted territory. Linkin Park failed miserably (every album after Meteora was a disaster), Slipknot got a lot more technical and flourished, Staind started venturing into radio-friendly bullshit like It's Been Awhile *even though they completely redeemed themselves by returning to their 90's roots with their seventh album last year that fucking rocks*, and our boys  made White Pony and survived the early 2000's with their ground-breaking new material. 

Anyone left doing what they felt like doing were cast-aside as "lame", and then all the band wagoners jumped on the collectively awful dicks of bands like Taking Back Sunday...then they started gobbling the knobs of The Strokes, which lead them to throat-hug even more choad bands like MGMT and the such to show how avant garde and eclectic their musical taste was while listening to obscure death-metal bands from Bumblefuck, Europe that have an awe-inspiring career of 2.5 years...you guys get the picture.

what's funny is that ATF is the most mainstream album they ever did. I didn't even like it when I started listening to the band. I loved WP and Adrenaline, and thought ATF was kinda meh. mostly because of how standard nu-metal a lot of the songs are. it still has that special Deftones touch that makes it rise above the masses, but personally I'm glad they went on a more experimental route after that. not until DE did they come as close to the mainstream sensibility that ATF had, but I still find DE more refined and intriguing.

all you people who want them to write nu-metal songs these days, what's your thoughts on CMD/CNTRL?
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep