Started by Vesanic, Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lungdamage

Quote from: bewareofrats on Nov 01, 2012, 12:09 AM
Quote from: lungdamage on Nov 01, 2012, 12:05 AM
Quote from: bewareofrats on Nov 01, 2012, 12:02 AM
Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Nov 01, 2012, 12:01 AM
Quote from: bewareofrats on Oct 31, 2012, 11:58 PM
You're full of it Ponte.  Chino doesn't sound like he's struggling at all with the high notes on SNW.  Those are some of his very best high notes and they sound excellent.

He's struggling...
Then he's struggling on every single Deftones album.

i'm going to have to disagree, IMO he doesn't sound in the best shape on SNW.
Good for you people.  I can see what you are saying if you're talking about the screaming, but not the singing.  I'm just sick of the endless criticism, like it has to be criticized because it's SNW.  I'm well used to the different criticism for the album and can leave most of it but saying the singing is weak or it sounds like Chino is struggling with that on SNW is pure bullshit.  His live performances at the time have nothing to do with the album.

i was saying i like when he chokes up (like his voice cracking) in that bit live. that whole line is sweet.

Ponte506

Quote from: fuzzylogics on Nov 01, 2012, 12:10 AM
And by 'intricate riffs' you mean standard power chords on a standard tuning 6-string guitar. His progressions and tone were the key to Adrenaline. It was definitely unique at the time but theres no way to duplicate that over 6 albums without sounding stale.

What made the riffs more "technical" on albums like Adrenaline through White Pony were the tempos and constant chord-changes.  I'm not going to chalk this dude up to being Mick Thomson or John Petrucci, and most teenagers that pick up a guitar for the first time (like me back in the day) can play through an entire Deftones catalogue.  And you know what...THAT'S OK.  His riffs were awesome, and he's got killer timing.  But once Steph started venturing into his 7 strings with S/T, almost every song since then has been the following:

- Hang out on the 7th/8th string playing single notes with an occasional palm mute and bend
- Play 2 brown-note power chords during the chorus

SquealLikeaPig

Quote from: Drummerboy_123 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:14 AM
Well the longest month of the year is officially over!

KNY time!

HELL YEAH!!!

Ponte506

...I still owe you guys a Poltergeist guitar cover video...can this shit leak already so I don't have to use an iPhone 4 video feed as a backing track? lol

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: lungdamage on Nov 01, 2012, 12:15 AM
Quote from: bewareofrats on Nov 01, 2012, 12:09 AM
Quote from: lungdamage on Nov 01, 2012, 12:05 AM
Quote from: bewareofrats on Nov 01, 2012, 12:02 AM
Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Nov 01, 2012, 12:01 AM
Quote from: bewareofrats on Oct 31, 2012, 11:58 PM
You're full of it Ponte.  Chino doesn't sound like he's struggling at all with the high notes on SNW.  Those are some of his very best high notes and they sound excellent.

He's struggling...
Then he's struggling on every single Deftones album.

i'm going to have to disagree, IMO he doesn't sound in the best shape on SNW.
Good for you people.  I can see what you are saying if you're talking about the screaming, but not the singing.  I'm just sick of the endless criticism, like it has to be criticized because it's SNW.  I'm well used to the different criticism for the album and can leave most of it but saying the singing is weak or it sounds like Chino is struggling with that on SNW is pure bullshit.  His live performances at the time have nothing to do with the album.

i was saying i like when he chokes up (like his voice cracking) in that bit live. that whole line is sweet.
know what you mean i kind of like how his voice cracks on the second "I hate all of my friends" part of hole in the earth on conan  video, but his singing was amazing on SNW maybe not always that good live but the album itself has amazing vocals

mrpelon94

what are all you monkeys blabbering about?....it just leaked 8)......naw jk.

fuzzylogics

Quote from: Ponte506 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:18 AM
Quote from: fuzzylogics on Nov 01, 2012, 12:10 AM
And by 'intricate riffs' you mean standard power chords on a standard tuning 6-string guitar. His progressions and tone were the key to Adrenaline. It was definitely unique at the time but theres no way to duplicate that over 6 albums without sounding stale.

What made the riffs more "technical" on albums like Adrenaline through White Pony were the tempos and constant chord-changes.  I'm not going to chalk this dude up to being Mick Thomson or John Petrucci, and most teenagers that pick up a guitar for the first time (like me back in the day) can play through an entire Deftones catalogue.  And you know what...THAT'S OK.  His riffs were awesome, and he's got killer timing.  But once Steph started venturing into his 7 strings with S/T, almost every song since then has been the following:

- Hang out on the 7th/8th string playing single notes with an occasional palm mute and bend
- Play 2 brown-note power chords during the chorus

I'll give you that, he had to do more work on Adrenaline.

Now with Frank, Chino's guitar, etc he has become more of a cog in the wheel rather than the driving force of the sound. Hopefully he will show a little more dynamic in this album...

SquealLikeaPig

Quote from: mrpelon94 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:23 AM
what are all you monkeys blabbering about?....it just leaked 8)...naw jk

lol

BallZDeeP

lungdamage

i like them all but ATF is my fav and SNW is possibly my least fav?
is anyone the exact opposite to me?

gwenudo

Quote from: SquealLikeaPig on Nov 01, 2012, 12:25 AM

lol

Did it just leaked?? Proof please :/
Was it like it seemed?...

beaverwithfishyshoes

Quote from: Ponte506 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:04 AM
Chino used to write about NOTHING back in the day; he was just really, REALLY good at combining a lot of artsy words to string together a cool sounding song.

and he's still doing exactly that bro

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: gwenudo666 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:28 AM

lol

"naw jk" = he's joking.

gwenudo

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:30 AM
Quote from: gwenudo666 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:28 AM

lol

"naw jk" = he's joking.

Aahhhh shit i just noticed that xD i was ro excited that i didnt notice lol
Was it like it seemed?...

DAFTPUNK87

lol

By the time it actually does leak no body is going to believe anyone.

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

fuzzylogics

I've programmed a macro to check TPB and IH every 36 seconds.

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: fuzzylogics on Nov 01, 2012, 12:44 AM

Heck yeah! good thinking

josh_axey

Quote from: fuzzylogics on Nov 01, 2012, 12:44 AM

???

:(... :-\...  :)... :D... ;D...

You guys.

DAFTPUNK87

At some point the son of a bitch will rear its beautiful face eventually. No telling how many people have an advanced copy - just a matter of someone putting it out there.

But I do just wanna say a big SCREW YOU to the guy flaunting his hard copy of the album on instragram.  :P not fair.
I will turn that SCREW YOU into a THANK YOU if he leaks it hehe

mrpelon94

this blows i want to hear Romantic Dreams and Goon Squad... >:(