Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan thread

Started by Vesanic, Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elite54

i wonder if this guy has some inside info on kny having 12 songs or he is just an idiot.

http://octsurprise.com/koi-no-yokan.html

DAFTPUNK87

Nah one of the guys from this forum made that site as a joke. It was in about 10 pages back or so.

Although a secret track would be the shit!

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

xLhabiax

If any of you kids live in south jersey and are trying to get a physical copy early there is a cd store in marlton nj called Tunes that has new cd's the weekend before its released, usually friday night or sat afternoon at the latest. i got the new converge and the last cannibal corpse cd the friday before.
We are ok in a misguided Sadist way

elite54

ah, my skimming skills are declining.  :-\

lungdamage

Quote from: elite54 on Nov 01, 2012, 01:05 AM
your sig displays that your zoom in + enhance skills were always borderline ;)

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: lungdamage on Nov 01, 2012, 01:07 AM
Quote from: elite54 on Nov 01, 2012, 01:05 AM
your sig displays that your zoom in + enhance skills were always borderline ;)

Ooooh! you need some topical cream to put on that sunburn?!

Visitant

Quote from: Ponte506 on Oct 31, 2012, 11:35 PM
Quote from: Jacob on Oct 31, 2012, 11:12 PM
some of you guys should realize it's not the 90's and nu-metal isn't cool anymore. I'm fucking glad Deftones managed to move away from that scene and show they're really capable musicians. some of you don't seem to appreciate that as much.

That's another problem...there's what I feel an epidemic of hipsters in metal.  Certain bands that people used to head-bang to in the 90's/2000's are automatically shunned now because a giant scene of metal/rock douche nozzles collectively decided it wasn't "cool".  There's a reason why "Be Quiet and Drive", "Lotion", "Around the Fur", "Engine No. 9", "Nosebleed" and "My Own Summer" are some of the best songs the Deftones have ever made...they just fucking rock.  They're aggressive, the riffs are killer, and they don't try to pull any punches.  The break-down in Be Quiet and Drive, as simple as it is, is just as magnificent for a lot of us the first time we heard it.

I get it...nu-metal was being flooded with "Crazy Town", and a parade of other sub-par to straight horrible bands that were devastating to the genre.  Instead of refining it, most bands (like Deftones, Linkin Park, Slipknot) decided to jump ship and venture out into uncharted territory. Linkin Park failed miserably (every album after Meteora was a disaster), Slipknot got a lot more technical and flourished, Staind started venturing into radio-friendly bullshit like It's Been Awhile *even though they completely redeemed themselves by returning to their 90's roots with their seventh album last year that fucking rocks*, and our boys  made White Pony and survived the early 2000's with their ground-breaking new material. 

Anyone left doing what they felt like doing were cast-aside as "lame", and then all the band wagoners jumped on the collectively awful dicks of bands like Taking Back Sunday...then they started gobbling the knobs of The Strokes, which lead them to throat-hug even more choad bands like MGMT and the such to show how avant garde and eclectic their musical taste was while listening to obscure death-metal bands from Bumblefuck, Europe that have an awe-inspiring career of 2.5 years...you guys get the picture.

YES.  Although, Linkin Park didn't pioneer shit.
"I really can't help it.  It's either this or prison."

pony_01

if there was no KoRn back in 1994, do you think deftones now still nu metal?

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: Visitant on Nov 01, 2012, 01:33 AM
some of you guys should realize it's not the 90's and nu-metal isn't cool anymore. I'm fucking glad Deftones managed to move away from that scene and show they're really capable musicians. some of you don't seem to appreciate that as much.

That's another problem...there's what I feel an epidemic of hipsters in metal.  Certain bands that people used to head-bang to in the 90's/2000's are automatically shunned now because a giant scene of metal/rock douche nozzles collectively decided it wasn't "cool".  There's a reason why "Be Quiet and Drive", "Lotion", "Around the Fur", "Engine No. 9", "Nosebleed" and "My Own Summer" are some of the best songs the Deftones have ever made...they just fucking rock.  They're aggressive, the riffs are killer, and they don't try to pull any punches.  The break-down in Be Quiet and Drive, as simple as it is, is just as magnificent for a lot of us the first time we heard it.

I get it...nu-metal was being flooded with "Crazy Town", and a parade of other sub-par to straight horrible bands that were devastating to the genre.  Instead of refining it, most bands (like Deftones, Linkin Park, Slipknot) decided to jump ship and venture out into uncharted territory. Linkin Park failed miserably (every album after Meteora was a disaster), Slipknot got a lot more technical and flourished, Staind started venturing into radio-friendly bullshit like It's Been Awhile *even though they completely redeemed themselves by returning to their 90's roots with their seventh album last year that fucking rocks*, and our boys  made White Pony and survived the early 2000's with their ground-breaking new material. 

Anyone left doing what they felt like doing were cast-aside as "lame", and then all the band wagoners jumped on the collectively awful dicks of bands like Taking Back Sunday...then they started gobbling the knobs of The Strokes, which lead them to throat-hug even more choad bands like MGMT and the such to show how avant garde and eclectic their musical taste was while listening to obscure death-metal bands from Bumblefuck, Europe that have an awe-inspiring career of 2.5 years...you guys get the picture.

I agree. Even though I don't listen to those bands anymore.. Linkin Park had 2 good albums, Slipknot also had two good albums. Both of them have gone to crap, no one cares about them anymore.. Deftones have remained consistently on top in my opinion. All because they have stayed true to themselves and to their music.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah linkin park came like ten years later,though i will agree on they went downhill majorlly after the first two albums

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 01, 2012, 01:36 AM
I don't think Korn made them change i think it was the other bands like Limp Bizkit that made them change because they were getting sick of being grouped in with that shit

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Nov 01, 2012, 01:40 AM
Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 01, 2012, 01:36 AM
I don't think Korn made them change i think it was the other bands like Limp Bizkit that made them change because they were getting sick of being grouped in with that shit

Deftones were never nu-metal to begin with. They were only lumped into that ridiculous genre because they toured and were friends with the guys in Korn, Limp Bizkit, Sevendust, etc. But they were never nu-metal - which is why they are around now and the other bands are practically unheard of nowadays.

The things Linkin Park, Korn, & Limp Bizkit were doing were were nu-metal. They wrote themselves into a corner because at the time that shit was acceptable - but now rap-rock metal is lame and unoriginal. Everyone appreciated what those bands were doing then because it was cool, fresh, and new - now it's not.

As for Deftones, they were never restricted to that "nu metal" rap-rock bullshit - which is why they are still around and evolving. Essentially they were ahead of the game.

Drummerboy_123

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Nov 01, 2012, 01:37 AM

Yeah linkin park came like ten years later,though i will agree on they went downhill majorlly after the first two albums

I know this isn't the thread to begin this debate but I think they went uphill after Meteora. 2min Nu-Metal songs? Nah sorry, doesn't interest me anymore.
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3

lungdamage

Quote from: Drummerboy_123 on Nov 01, 2012, 01:45 AM
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Nov 01, 2012, 01:37 AM

I know this isn't the thread to begin this debate but I think they went uphill after Meteora. 2min Nu-Metal songs? Nah sorry, doesn't interest me anymore.

..what have we become..

Mattarchy

it certainly wasn't another band playing out nu metal, or fans thinking its lame, that changed deftones sound. it's simply put by them in their own words if you can find them on interviews, they aged. As time has gone by they have all grown and matured, musical tastes along with that. I doubt that decided, hey we're gonna start changing our aggressive style to something more pop and mellow because limp bizkit sucks. This will also explain why a lot of us don't listen to Korn or Slipknot anymore. I'm 29 now (and I've noticed a few others on here mentioning they are also 29) and after all these years I have gotten old and mellowed the fuck out. Not that I don't put on an occasional heavy as fuck record.

gui

god, no leak, and i have to suffer a fucking debate on Linking Park

xLhabiax

Quote from: gui on Nov 01, 2012, 01:51 AM

No you don't, click that "x" in the top right corner and problem solved
We are ok in a misguided Sadist way

Drummerboy_123

Sigh, I die a little when I see these debates....and when people put a G at the end of Linkin.

Back to KNY. Pumped as fuck! Just pre-ordered and can't wait, I might not listen to the leak, depends when it comes out I suppose. Tbh, with what Chino has stated, Im not surprised people aren't leaking it haha.
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3

lungdamage

Quote from: xLhabiax on Nov 01, 2012, 01:54 AM

No you don't, click that "x" in the top right corner and problem solved

quantum mechanics... o_O

gui

Quote from: Drummerboy_123 on Nov 01, 2012, 01:55 AM

Sigh, I die a little when I see these debates....and when people put a G at the end of Linkin.

Back to KNY. Pumped as fuck! Just pre-ordered and can't wait, I might not listen to the leak, depends when it comes out I suppose. Tbh, with what Chino has stated, Im not surprised people aren't leaking it haha.
haha i just re-read my post and saw the typo.