Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nineteen

The heaviness on Genesis for me is that overall mountainous sound that other bands like Gojira have. Not necessarily Metal heavy but weight heavy - almost like a landscape or horizon

lahemi

Guys! Guys. What the frick? Second listen rn. There's a guitar solo. There's a guitar solo in my Deftones song. lol
Boy o boy, can't believe they've made me like them again. To me this actually sounds like a fusion of White Pony and Selftitled, every instrument has its place, and man the structure and texture! It just feels really gritty and tight.. and the opposite of boring, it gets me actually excited to listen to the song again while listening to it y'know? I've missed that these last couple of records.

Just to let you know where I'm coming from:
I've liked SNW overall, but the mixing was very off to me. Lots of songs I like tho.
Diamond Eyes sounded and felt like them getting back together (obviously), but again the mix was just not Deftones. To me it's too clean and harsh sounding, and has almost to texture because of that.
Koi No Yokan was actually very surprising to me, it felt like a sibling to Diamond Eyes, but with the added texture. So spacey and lush, but it sorta kinda feels like a pop record? It has so many different flavors, and loud (meaning the loudness war) like a pop album.
Gore was just a mess and made me forget about the entirely.

Ohms was so disappointing to me, still is! Well, actually now that I know what I was expecting.. I've had expected that the album would finish with a "simpler song" that feels optimistic. In that context it's an ok song, bc I can see that it fits an important role. But would I listen to this as a song? Nope
But fuck me man, this? Genesis sounds Feiticeira-like, but with the mixing of a Selftitled continuation! A black White Pony! Always craved for something like that, but totally not expected this to actually happen anymore. Thanks Terry!
The lyrics are very familiar sounding (meaning the use of words and phrases), but the content? So positive, reflecting and still angry. Fucking loooooving it! Excitinggggggggg
And the music video looks like the Deftones version of the Meshuggah - Rational Gaze music video. I love that video, so surprise!I I like this video too.

secretbandinsider

I don't get the comparisons to S/T at all. To me it just sounds like a continuation of KNY.

from_musings

One thing in genesis, that makes me think of kny, is when chino sings "There's no sense to what I'm beiiiiin.... SOLD!

Same delivery as in poltergeist when he sings "I think you keep playing to play knowing that iiiii.... FEEL SICK!  That slight pause and then the punch is so great .
Love it in both songs

el_narvalo

Hi, I'm new to Sharing Lungs, I've been reading the forum from quite some time now.
I'm sure this new album will become one of my favourites. Genesis is top notch Deftones, Ohms is great too. I haven't listened to the leaks, but I read LG95's post about This Link is dead. WGTB is one of my very favourites. Only good news so far about the album.

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 18, 2020, 09:11 PM
Quote from: RaptureWS on Sep 18, 2020, 09:01 PM
LG95 mentioned a review a few pages back from metal hammer. I can't find it anywhere online though. Anyone have a link or is there any scans up yet?
It's not online yet, just in the magazine. I don't have the facility to scan it right now unfortunately. I might type it out if people really want it.

I would be really interested in reading this too. Maybe you can just post a photo of it or scan the page using Adobe scan for example. I'm getting totally obsessed about what is coming next.

snw9

Is it just me or can you hear frank throughout the verses of the song? that filler synth he throws in..
Code: [Select]

Sicario

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 19, 2020, 10:18 AM
I don't get the comparisons to S/T at all. To me it just sounds like a continuation of KNY.

It's the production and vocal effects I think. It's not quite as dark. And it's not a carbon copy of S/T. But there are elements. S/T and KNY had a baby while Gore watched from the distance.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

punkflop01

finally listened to Genesis.  At first I wasn't sure what to make of it (which is always a good sign).  The 2nd time, my hair started to stand during the verse.  The sound of that guitar is just immense.  Not sure how I feel about the chorus, but I feel it's going to grow on me.  Ohms played right after that, and I realized that  I really do love that song after giving it a bit of space. 

I really do feel like this album is going to be sound great as one listen as opposed to stand along songs - cannot wait for next week!

Did anyone else think of Tool's 'Pneuma' during the "salsa" part in Genesis?

from_musings

Quote from: Sicario on Sep 19, 2020, 11:58 AM
S/T and KNY had a baby while Gore watched from the distance.

kinda like when girly, mediocre looking kny got fucked by true alpha beast s/t, the perv/weirdo gore was hiding behind a curtain in the bedroom, jacking off to what it saw

lahemi

It is, and I know it doesn't make much sense I guess. It's just what I had expected what another Terry album would sound like today. It sounds like every album Terry would do with "the guys". KNY? My first album was Around The Fur and man, I've tried to like Cherry Waves and Sextape and Rosemary, UGH Rosemary.. that disgusting ass outro, it feels so useless and tacked on.
Without Terry they were great, but Genesis sounds like "oh, they are peaking again". I just really, really love this. It's thiccccc and epic and swaggy and I want moar

IN WAVES

I can definitely hear KNY in these first 2 songs.

I like both songs, but I think I prefer Ohms to Genesis. At first I wasn't so into Ohms, but it has grown on me.

Gaz

Quote from: lahemi on Sep 19, 2020, 12:40 PM

It is, and I know it doesn't make much sense I guess. It's just what I had expected what another Terry album would sound like today. It sounds like every album Terry would do with "the guys". KNY? My first album was Around The Fur and man, I've tried to like Cherry Waves and Sextape and Rosemary, UGH Rosemary.. that disgusting ass outro, it feels so useless and tacked on.
Without Terry they were great, but Genesis sounds like "oh, they are peaking again". I just really, really love this. It's thiccccc and epic and swaggy and I want moar

Haha WOW

Visionz

Quote from: DenakDW on Sep 19, 2020, 06:39 AM
So... im the only one that has really huge high hopes for pompeji? i mean...really really high hopes, like when i first heard minerva or even rosemary. What a feeling, i miss those days.

Because of the song title? Where do u get the high hopes from?
BTW i do not mean ti ask in a shitty way, just curious if u heard a leak....

Crisp X

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 19, 2020, 01:51 PM
So... im the only one that has really huge high hopes for pompeji? i mean...really really high hopes, like when i first heard minerva or even rosemary. What a feeling, i miss those days.

It has been teased by a reviewer in the previous page.

Visionz

Quote from: Crisp X on Sep 19, 2020, 01:56 PM
Quote from: Visionz on Sep 19, 2020, 01:51 PM

It has been teased by a reviewer in the previous page.
[/quote
Ok yeah thanks

mono

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/9449413/deftones-chino-moreno-ohms-interview

"Deftones have the type of hyper-passionate fan community befitting pop's biggest artists — Wakefield (band manager) says that die-hard supporters sniffed out the source code being updated on the band's official website prior to the announcement of the new album in August"

Guys, we're famous LOL

Ianldiotaiuti

Quote from: punkflop01 on Sep 19, 2020, 12:30 PM
Did anyone else think of Tool's 'Pneuma' during the "salsa" part in Genesis?

Absolutely

Far away

Quote from: mono on Sep 19, 2020, 02:26 PM
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/9449413/deftones-chino-moreno-ohms-interview

"Deftones have the type of hyper-passionate fan community befitting pop's biggest artists — Wakefield (band manager) says that die-hard supporters sniffed out the source code being updated on the band's official website prior to the announcement of the new album in August"

Guys, we're famous LOL

"Chino Moreno woke up in the middle of a late-August night and couldn't fall back asleep. He was thinking about a chicken coop. "I was just sitting there, calculating measurements in my head, wondering if this design's going to work," says the longtime Deftones frontman."

What the actual fuck? Chino designing a chicken coop must be the most random shit I've ever read. 2020, huh?

mono

Quote from: Far away on Sep 19, 2020, 03:12 PM
Quote from: mono on Sep 19, 2020, 02:26 PM

Guys, we're famous LOL

"Chino Moreno woke up in the middle of a late-August night and couldn't fall back asleep. He was thinking about a chicken coop. "I was just sitting there, calculating measurements in my head, wondering if this design's going to work," says the longtime Deftones frontman."

What the actual fuck? Chino designing a chicken coop must be the most random shit I've ever read. 2020, huh?

Yeah, that part was hilarious!

Vesanic

Quote from: Penicks on Sep 19, 2020, 06:36 AM
from now on anyone who mentions this fandango character will get a two hour ban

Scaramouche, Scaramouche