Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

Quote from: Penicks on Sep 23, 2020, 08:56 PM
yeah i remember you saying you got chills when you heard the 'calculate' line in the 30 second amazon snippet of diamond eyes lmao

boom ten years later

Ten years later you still sound like you paid your teachers for your degree, and from kindergarten on.  :-*

Far away

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 23, 2020, 08:43 PM
People need to take a serious chill pill. Every single Deftones fan in communities is getting a fucking link as we speak. Most people aren't even taking the time to absorb the music, making "worst to best song" posts, polls and shit. I know there's covid but this is overblown. Just sit down and chill out ffs.

Did you expect anything different though? People are excited...
Theres always tomorrow to change everyones mind.

FatherUppercut

I had considered ranking the songs today. There's nothing wrong with that but the rank will change tomorrow

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 23, 2020, 08:53 PM
I remember being completely in love with DE when it came out. That didn't last very long.

DE is still my fav album. I've been into Deftones for a long time. Kinda ridiculous how good DE was, especially considering all the other bands I was into that lead me to discovering Deftones (Korn, Limp Bizkit) haven't been doing so hot like 25 years later

I hear Korn is getting better lately but I'm kinda past them

FatherUppercut

Quote from: Far away on Sep 23, 2020, 09:01 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 23, 2020, 08:43 PM
People need to take a serious chill pill. Every single Deftones fan in communities is getting a fucking link as we speak. Most people aren't even taking the time to absorb the music, making "worst to best song" posts, polls and shit. I know there's covid but this is overblown. Just sit down and chill out ffs.
Theres always tomorrow to change everyones mind.

BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT
PROMISED
TOMORROOWWW

DON'T LIVE FOR TODAY

from_musings

Quote from: Draken on Sep 23, 2020, 08:58 PM
I remember hearing Royal for the first time and being blown away... yeah that didn't last long for me. Still like the song but not as much as the others on DE.

i rememer the first time i heard genesis.. i was like "welcome back STEPH!... and Terry- oh how I have longed for thee"

LG95

Quote from: FatherUppercut on Sep 23, 2020, 09:02 PM
I hear Korn is getting better lately but I'm kinda past them
The one they released last year was their best in ages.
I could float here forever

Playhouse

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 23, 2020, 08:18 PM
Album is really good, like an 8/10 for me, but I feel slightly underwhelmed mostly because I don't feel like Steph does anything too interesting on this. I think I'm starting to realize I prefer Chino as a songwriter to Steph.

TSOM is absolute god-tier though.

I hear the complete opposite.
After every song I was like daaaaam Stephen
I feel he's way more creative on this musically since idno. Ages lol
You're a star, You blaze

Chinosscream

Ohms is straight fire. I listened to it for four hours straight before work. DE was so good because they were feeling the loss of chi. KNY was a good clear headed album after dealing with the emotions of DE. I think Gore is just a "let's just see what happens" but you can tell they are trying to make a great
Album here.

Draken

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 23, 2020, 09:06 PM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 23, 2020, 08:58 PM
I remember hearing Royal for the first time and being blown away... yeah that didn't last long for me. Still like the song but not as much as the others on DE.

i rememer the first time i heard genesis.. i was like "welcome back STEPH!... and Terry- oh how I have longed for thee"

I know some don't like the title track but when i first heard it I had the "oh Terry" reaction. Gave me chills knowing it was Terry back behind the knobs. Production immediately sounded better than it previously has.

plagasx

I have to admit.. I'm really disappointed there isn't slower song on this album ala Sextape, Entombed, Beauty School or even Phantom Bride...

Closest to that would be Urantia or Pompeji I guess..

Matthewtheloser

Best to worst lists anyone? So far I'd have to go:

The Spell Of Mathematics
Headless
This Link Is Dead
Ceremony
Error
Pompeji
Radiant City
Urantia
Genesis
Ohms

I could see Radiant City and Urantia being higher over time though, they are already growing on me a lot from initial listens.

from_musings

really want to hear the stuff steph,chino and abe did just the three of them.such a great idea to start things off,i hope those sessions are recorded

Draken

Quote from: plagasx on Sep 23, 2020, 09:14 PM
I have to admit.. I'm really disappointed there isn't slower song on this album ala Sextape, Entombed, Beauty School or even Phantom Bride...

Closest to that would be Urantia or Pompeji I guess..

haven't heard the album yet but I am by contrast relieved to hear there's no slow song on the record.

Inkblades

I can't rank everything, but I think This Link Is Dead is my least favorite as of right now. It's like they are trying to do a throwback sound but it sounds a little silly and repetitive to me. Like fake angst. Dig Frank's synths on it, though.

All the other songs are good to great.

BallZDeeP

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 23, 2020, 09:18 PM
I can't rank everything, but I think This Link Is Dead is my least favorite as of right now. It's like they are trying to do a throwback sound but it sounds a little silly and repetitive to me. Like fake angst. Dig Frank's synths on it, though.

Have you read the lyrics for it? Makes me like it more

dearthx1

Been spinning the album all day. First off, this album is leaps and bounds above Gore which is a huge relief. This is definitely Steph and Frank's record and I'm all for it. Didn't think "This Link Is Dead" lived up to all the hype it was getting on here. Didn't really get the "heavy track" vibe at all and the only comparison to WGTB I can hear is a few of the vocals sound similar. But damn, the last 3 tracks all together are really something. "Radiant City" and "Headless" were huge highlights for me. The boys are back on top of their game and firing on all cylinders here. I think it's only going to get better with time.

Inkblades

Quote from: BallZDeeP on Sep 23, 2020, 09:22 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 23, 2020, 09:18 PM

Have you read the lyrics for it? Makes me like it more

Yup, don't think it Chino's best lyricism by a long shot. I don't think it's a bad song btw, I just like the other songs more.

I really seem to be in the minority here but I think Genesis is still my favorite.

FEITICEIRA

I ordered the gold vinyl from https://craft-n-vinyl.com/ on 9/15. Haven't seen a shipment e-mail and they ignored my question about when it will ship. So is everyone in the US not getting their record on Friday unless you ordered from deftones.com? Of course I found the 192 mp3s but ick, why waste this epic experience  ;)
get bored.

Moz La Punk

I think my favorites right now are TSOM (that fucking beautiful outro might be the best thing theyve ever done and even blows away everything on white pony lol) and Radiant City (so groovy and etheral). But ive listened three times so its still early days. Pompeji confused me on first listen but is starting to grow on me fast.

The hype from the first listen has settled down a bit, ive calmed my tits. But still what i hear is a great fucking album, at least top half deftones stuff.

What i like about it is it throws away some 'tones cliches like each album has to have the chill song or the hard as nails song. This is just straight up chugging along ATF style. Perhaps a few unique melodies made with chinos guitar would compliment stefs chugs, but thats all the 'critique' i have right now.

Oh and get outta here with the breaking up stuff. These boys are loving it right now, its apparant in all interviews. With things still fucked up thanks to covid, who knows, maybe they head back in the studio next year? Could you imagine that? 2020 gives us Ohms and Black Stallion, 21 or 22 gives us another album. That would be insane for deftones standards and certainly at their age. Lol Im getting carried away again. Lets just enjoy this release for the coming months, i know i will!

Matthewtheloser

Something about the end of The Spell Of Mathematics remind me of Deathblow. I can't exactly explain why, it just has a similar moodiness and atmosphere to it