Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buflen

Quote from: endstand on Sep 24, 2020, 04:13 PM
So after listening to new album, GORE seems not that bad as an album.
Hey, my opinion is the complete opposite. This album makes Gore sound even worse.

Moz La Punk

Lol. This has been a staple of many deftones fans for a long time. New record comes out, previous 'bad' record is suddenly okay. You do you man, but could you explain in more detail what you dislike about Ohms?

nicklav

Outside of Acid Hologram I don't really see myself returning to Gore that often ever again.

LG95

He could mean Gore now makes more sense to him.
I could float here forever

buflen

Quote from: Moz La Punk on Sep 24, 2020, 04:18 PM

Lol. This has been a staple of many deftones fans for a long time. New record comes out, previous 'bad' record is suddenly okay. You do you man, but could you explain in more detail what you dislike about Ohms?
I could easily see people being turned off by most of the vocal melodies on this album. And chino's screaming can hurt your ears. And some riffs are "simple". That's the negative I could see. But my biggest complaint of Gore has been fixed, which is the horrible mixing/production.

feedthegod

I'm not a huge fan of Gore. Had it come out as a Chino side-project, I'd probably like it more, lol. That said, Ohms makes you realize how bad and disconnected it really was. The feel of the album is very upbeat. Obviously you can probably attribute that to the Abe, Stef, and Chino writing together, in-person, like the old days. This album definitely has a case of the feelies. :D

I want to know if this was recorded with the AXE-FX III or tubed amps. I saw someone here or somewhere that said the album was recorded with heads this time. The guitars are a little over produced or it's the AXF3. It's a bit sterile feeling. Hard to explain.

FatherUppercut

The Gore era is over, and I can take about 4 of 5 good songs from it into the Ohms era. I'll call it a W. If I take 4 or 5 songs from the Ohms era when its all said and done, I'll call it a really good Gorhomes EP and be on to the next thing

LG95

I still like Gore. It's a good record.

This is much better.
I could float here forever

buflen

Quote from: FatherUppercut on Sep 24, 2020, 04:24 PM

The Gore era is over, and I can take about 4 of 5 good songs from it into the Ohms era. I'll call it a W. If I take 4 or 5 songs from the Ohms era when its all said and done, I'll call it a really good Gorhomes EP and be on to the next thing
What? I don't understand what you just said at all.

Inkblades

If Terry produced Gore, it would be as good (or, bit of a hot take here, perhaps even better) than Ohms.

Moz La Punk

Im not that negative about Gore but as you can see on the previous page it is bottom tire tones for me. Funnily enough ive had (l)mirl in my head for a few weeks now, even after listening to the new record, and i used to hate that song.

FatherUppercut

Quote from: buflen on Sep 24, 2020, 04:25 PM
Quote from: FatherUppercut on Sep 24, 2020, 04:24 PM

What? I don't understand what you just said at all.

think a little harder

buflen

Writing wise, this album is much more closer to Gore than any other previous album IMO. But this is done much better.

Moz La Punk

Would you guys say this is a better produced and a stef-engaged sequel to gore? I could see that.

Lemme explain more: i can definitely see chino's vocal melodies being in line with Gore, but the music is much more punchier.

GR1X7S

Quote from: Moz La Punk on Sep 24, 2020, 04:29 PM
Would you guys say this is a better produced and a stef-engaged sequel to gore? I could see that.

Without hesitation... yes

Qwerty1921

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 24, 2020, 04:25 PM
If Terry produced Gore, it would be as good (or, bit of a hot take here, perhaps even better) than Ohms.
I actually like Gore production. What really brings the album down a bit, for me,  is how unachieved a couple songs felt (Xenon, Doomed User).  Makes total sense nowadays, regarding the recent interviews and how Chino sort of said that album was rushed.

Stuff like Acid Hologram,  Geometric Headdress or Hearts/Wires  still ranks among my favorite. Especially the 2nd one, what a banger'

Moz La Punk

Quote from: GR1X7S on Sep 24, 2020, 04:32 PM
Quote from: Moz La Punk on Sep 24, 2020, 04:29 PM

Without hesitation... yes

Makes sense as its the next record lol. Logical evolution and all that

Vesanic

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 24, 2020, 02:37 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 24, 2020, 01:01 PM
Ten hours before I can listen to this thing. This ride is a hard one

What was the point? U paid. Not gonna benefit you, just enjoy it dude

It is.  ;)

Moz La Punk

At this point im hyped to read vesanics reaction to the album.

Visionz

Quote from: Moz La Punk on Sep 24, 2020, 04:02 PM
Listened to it in full five times now and my opinion is slowly but surely crystalizing. Still very happy with it!

I think the chorus of Radiant City remains my favorite part of the record. Its sooooo good for my soul, I cant explain it. Almost all songs are firmly stuck in my head now and I love em. Even Pompeji grew on me entirely. I had some problems with Error the first few runs as well but its getting much much better.

The only song Im still not entirely set on, is Headless. I love the groovy sounds, but Chino's singing reminds me a bit too much of Gore - not that I hate that record but you know what I mean. It feels a bit 'aimless' for me, but that could also be because I just havent 'learned' the strange sonic loundscape of it yet. So we'll see how it'll end up.

For now Im still very positive the record is in the top half of the discography for me. This is in no way final - actually it never is - but if you'd put a gun on my head and I had to make a list, it would probably go like this:

White Pony
Diamond Eyes
Ohms
Koi No Yokan
Around the Fur
Self Titled / SNW (tied)
Gore
Adrenaline

Everything from White Pony to (and including) ATF is god-tier for me. Like ultimate classic and above the best works of most other bands I listen to. So that should tell you something.

Which reminds me that I really have to try and learn to appreciate Adrenaline more. Ive listened to it plenty but somehow never really got it (I got into deftones during ATF-days). I want to like it more, we'll see how that goes after the hype for Ohms has settled.

Edit: one other thing I wanted to mention - I'm so glad we have another 'heavy' Deftones record in the discography. Its not straight up metal or anything, and stuff like White Pony is my favorite shit, but Im just glad there's another record besides ATF that I can blast through my speakers when I really want some heavy Deftones stuff. That's very cool.

Adrenaline is 25 years old and not new to you, how will you try and learn to like it? Ive went from loving it to only revisiting it when i crave a track or randomly.  Sounds strange to make yourself like something after that long. Can u explain it?