Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Sep 23, 2020, 09:29 PM
Something about the end of The Spell Of Mathematics remind me of Deathblow. I can't exactly explain why, it just has a similar moodiness and atmosphere to it

For sure, that's a good call. They both kind of break down at the end.

helioscopios

Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Sep 23, 2020, 09:16 PM
Best to worst lists anyone? So far I'd have to go:

The Spell Of Mathematics
Headless
This Link Is Dead
Ceremony
Error
Pompeji
Radiant City
Urantia
Genesis
Ohms

I could see Radiant City and Urantia being higher over time though, they are already growing on me a lot from initial listens.

Genesis
Ceremony
Error
Radiant City
Ohms
Pompeji
Headless
This Link Is Dead
Urantia
The Spell Of Mathematics

LG95

Can't even imagine doing a song ranking list on the day you hear the album.
I could float here forever

Matthewtheloser

Why not? It's not like it's my definitive rankings or anything. It's subject to change, I think that's kind of implied. I still have initial impressions and preferences after listening it close to 10 times now.

bcoberly

This album is straight fire. I give it a 9.5/10 right now after about 5 full playthroughs but I need at least a year to really reflect on how this fits in the rest of the discography.

There is something so fresh, immediate and innovative about how this record sounds to me. Somehow Deftones again is able to take their core sound and push it to a place where no other band can. The album has a feel that I can even still fully wrap my head around yet. It's full of grime and filth. This is not a flashy, shiny pop record full of simple song structures and predictable melodies. It challenges you on every song. Initially, I didn't even know what to make of it. There are layers on top of layers just waiting to be explored after numerous listening sessions. It's so dense with sound and atmosphere that after the album closes with Ohms, I just want to start all over again and try to uncover more and explore the depths of the music. There is not a single song I want to skip which means this is near a masterpiece if not already in my opinion. Honestly, I was a Gore fan as well because I loved how they showed they were not afraid to try new things and the record has a unique vibe that I very much enjoyed. This new album again shows that they can re-invent themselves time and time again without removing all the elements that we love about them so much. After all these years I can still say I'm blown away by this band and hope to hear the 10th album one day hopefully!

Top Tracks: Pompeji, Radiant City, The Link is Dead, Error, The Spell of Mathematics

helioscopios

Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Sep 23, 2020, 09:41 PM
Why not? It's not like it's my definitive rankings or anything. It's subject to change, I think that's kind of implied. I still have initial impressions and preferences after listening it close to 10 times now.

100% agree.
What's fun is to see how different the rankings can be also.

ireallywish

Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Sep 23, 2020, 09:16 PM
Best to worst lists anyone? So far I'd have to go:

The Spell Of Mathematics
Headless
This Link Is Dead
Ceremony
Error
Pompeji
Radiant City
Urantia
Genesis
Ohms

I could see Radiant City and Urantia being higher over time though, they are already growing on me a lot from initial listens.

urantia
ceremony
genesis
error
ohms
headless
TLID
radiant
math
pompeji

secretbandinsider

Hot take but T/T has honestly grown to being one of my favorite songs they've EVER done, and hearing it in the proper context has only made me love it even more. It has by far the most interesting riffs

B_S_79

I need to listen again but I'm really fond of Urantia and TSOM. I think my biggest gripe with them, and this has been the case with them for a little while now - out of left field transitions, not really any bridges.. I dunno.. just a general incoherence to some of their songs. Some songs aren't songs, just cut and pasted riffs. (L)MIRL is a good song to illustrate my point.  A lot of interesting melodies and notes by Chino on this newer album. I think some of it is trying too hard? Kind of grating on the ears. The "bridge" on Genesis could've been epic but it led up to nothing.

But, my god, TSOM is my favorite thing they've done since DE.

Just my opinion. I love these guys. Since 1995, I've seen them live 47 times. I look forward to everything they put out. Looking forward to hearing what everyone else has to say.

secretbandinsider

'Some songs aren't songs, just cut and pasted riffs'

Can you give examples? You can kind of say that about anything.

Sleeping_Giant

This is the first time I don't skip any song since SNW...Most of you said you hear some ATF/ST/KNY vibes. Maybe it's true, but for me they somehow redefined themselves - it's like completely different Deftones. And I like it a lot.

nick310

I've seen some people mention things about there being a lack of a ballad type song, but to be honest, I think there's enough melody in the songs that it almost cancels it out.

With most of their material, it was usually either a strictly heavy, or strictly soft song, yeah? With Ohms, it still feels like there's that good balance of heavy and soft, despite most of the songs having heavier roots to them.

secretbandinsider

If Pompeji was the 'ballad' track I think I'd bump the album up to a 9

Playhouse

This link is dead is easily his most aggressive vocal since RATS
You're a star, You blaze

B_S_79

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 23, 2020, 09:53 PM

I said (L)MIRL explains my point.

Far away

Quote from: B_S_79 on Sep 23, 2020, 10:07 PM
Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 23, 2020, 09:53 PM

I said (L)MIRL explains my point.

Its weird how the mind works. (L)MIRL is one of my fav 'Gore' songs.

LG95

Quote from: nick310 on Sep 23, 2020, 10:04 PM
I've seen some people mention things about there being a lack of a ballad type song, but to be honest, I think there's enough melody in the songs that it almost cancels it out.
Yeah that's people having stylistic expectations again. Judge an album for what it is rather than what you want/expect it to be.

To be fair I haven't really seen many people doing that on here.
I could float here forever

Playhouse

Also love the faster tempo of Error.
I'd be dancing my shit off to this in the crowd.
I guess in my dreams for now and the foreseeable future  :o

You're a star, You blaze

ANattyRat

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 23, 2020, 09:18 PM
I can't rank everything, but I think This Link Is Dead is my least favorite as of right now. It's like they are trying to do a throwback sound but it sounds a little silly and repetitive to me. Like fake angst. Dig Frank's synths on it, though.

All the other songs are good to great.

Maybe fake angst but I do love Chino's screams on that song. It's funny because it's the heaviest vocal-wise, but by no means is it the heaviest musically.

I never would've guessed that Ceremony and Urantia end up being my (first) favourites for the album. They kind of got quiet praise on reviews that mentioned them, so it was easy to have no expectations. Pompeji grew on me after my third listen and now I love it for what it is (I don't know why, but I was expecting it to be similar to (L)MIRL in tone, but with an oceany soundscape???). Ohms has grown on me too, it's high up there now in song ranking for me.

Genuinely don't get the hyped up love for The Spell of Mathematics lol I was the same with Rubicon with Gore. I mean I love the whole album, so it's not that I view it negatively, it just doesn't seem like as mind-blowing a song as others on the album. What makes you guys love it so much? If it's something you can put into words, of course.

secretbandinsider

Agree that Ceremony and Urantia have sneakily become some of my go-to tracks. As for TSOM... It's just a perfectly mixed deluge of sound to soak in, I don't know how else to put it. Just jam it some more :)