Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

Quote from: Gaz on Sep 24, 2020, 02:51 PM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Sep 24, 2020, 02:36 PM
Quote from: Gaz on Sep 24, 2020, 12:54 PM
Ceremony, Urantia, Error have become firm favorites of mine in the last 24 hours

Ceremony, Urantia and Pompeji for me. I do love the ending of Error though. What are your favourites from previous albums? Wondering if we have the same taste in Deftones songs haha.

Tempest, Poltergeist, Risk, Butcher, Around The Fur, MX, Korea, Feit, Needles & Pins, WGTB, Bloody Cape....there's probably loads more, ha!

Damn, very similar! That's pretty cool. MX is probably riiiight near the top for me.

sharinglungs

Most experimental album since white pony?

buflen

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 24, 2020, 03:11 PM
I think a lot of Gore was quite experimental for deftones, but a failed one. This is the real deal.

ANattyRat

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 24, 2020, 03:11 PM

Yeah, I guess you could say that. KNY had the beginnings of it in my opinion (the intros/outros, Entombed, WHTY), then Gore kind of tried to do more but with mixed results. So at the very least you could say this is their most successfully-attempted experimental album.

LG95

Error is the Deftones chorus I never knew I needed.

Pure bliss.
I could float here forever

Jaded

Quote from: Gaz on Sep 24, 2020, 02:51 PM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Sep 24, 2020, 02:36 PM
Quote from: Gaz on Sep 24, 2020, 12:54 PM
Ceremony, Urantia, Error have become firm favorites of mine in the last 24 hours

Ceremony, Urantia and Pompeji for me. I do love the ending of Error though. What are your favourites from previous albums? Wondering if we have the same taste in Deftones songs haha.

Tempest, Poltergeist, Risk, Butcher, Around The Fur, MX, Korea, Feit, Needles & Pins, WGTB, Bloody Cape....there's probably loads more, ha!

Some quality fkn tracks right there.

Ianldiotaiuti

one thing that no one said is that all of these new songs will sound extremely good live

buflen

Quote from: Ianldiotaiuti on Sep 24, 2020, 03:28 PM
one thing that no one said is that all of these new songs will sound extremely good live
Genesis would be so good live.

B_S_79

I was just thinking that. They will sound amazing live.

Let's hope they play them. I've seen them enough to know that sometimes they skimp on the newer material for the album that they are touring. It was pretty extreme the second time I saw them for the Gore tour cycle. I think they played Phantom Bride and that was it.

Gaz

Quote from: B_S_79 on Sep 24, 2020, 03:35 PM

Let's hope they play them. I've seen them enough to know that sometimes they skimp on the newer material for the album that they are touring. It was pretty extreme the second time I saw them for the Gore tour cycle. I think they played Phantom Bride and that was it.

I hope this time around they include more new stuff on the live shows, these songs deserve the live experience. We could get some amazing setlists

Visionz

Radiant's chorus is growing on me. Cant seem to grab onto the schizo-riff throughout though.

buflen

maybe they realised none of those songs were fan favorites and had luke warm reactions so they decided to not play them. Usually bands play too much newer stuff and ignore the older deep cuts. But with Ohms, I wouldn't mind them playing all the songs.

B_S_79

Quote from: buflen on Sep 24, 2020, 03:44 PM

maybe they realised none of those songs were fan favorites and had luke warm reactions so they decided to not play them. Usually bands play too much newer stuff and ignore the older deep cuts. But with Ohms, I wouldn't mind them playing all the songs.

Maybe. I think that's partially true. I think they didn't rehearse them because they didn't really like the songs. They pretty much played all of them live at some point, except for Xenon and Pittura.

I've seen them so many times that any sort of deep cut or something I've never heard them play live is always welcomed. Geometric Headdress is on my wish list, although I doubt that will ever happen for me.

buflen

It's very difficult for a band with so many albums to make a setlist that'll make most people happy.

First time I saw them live, I was disapointed they wasted their time playing "Teenager". I liked the song but i didnt care about seeing it live. I was a dumb teenager.

ANattyRat

Quote from: B_S_79 on Sep 24, 2020, 03:48 PM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 24, 2020, 03:44 PM

Maybe. I think that's partially true. I think they didn't rehearse them because they didn't really like the songs. They pretty much played all of them live at some point, except for Xenon and Pittura.

I've seen them so many times that any sort of deep cut or something I've never heard them play live is always welcomed. Geometric Headdress is on my wish list, although I doubt that will ever happen for me.

When I saw them on their Gore tour, they'd been switching up between two different setlists and alternating on each day. The one that was the day before mine they played Geometric Headdress, my favourite at the time, we got Phantom Bride. Which, don't get me wrong, sounded amazing, but damn. And (L)MIRL, my other favourite, they'd only recently stopped playing live. I was kind of bitter about it lol. They played a few SNW songs on the alternate setlist that I missed too, and Teething and Hexagram I believe. I love the band and I've never been disappointed by a live show, but expecting them to play some new songs or songs you've not heard them play much and they mostly play DE songs was just...unjust haha.

Visionz

Inkblades

This Link Is Dead is growing on me a lot. It's a banger.

LG95

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 24, 2020, 03:59 PM
This Link Is Dead is growing on me a lot. It's a banger.
It took me a couple of listens to adjust to it too because Ceremony-Urantia-Error-TSOM-Pompeji was such a beautiful run. It's got me now.
I could float here forever

Moz La Punk

Listened to it in full five times now and my opinion is slowly but surely crystalizing. Still very happy with it!

I think the chorus of Radiant City remains my favorite part of the record. Its sooooo good for my soul, I cant explain it. Almost all songs are firmly stuck in my head now and I love em. Even Pompeji grew on me entirely. I had some problems with Error the first few runs as well but its getting much much better.

The only song Im still not entirely set on, is Headless. I love the groovy sounds, but Chino's singing reminds me a bit too much of Gore - not that I hate that record but you know what I mean. It feels a bit 'aimless' for me, but that could also be because I just havent 'learned' the strange sonic loundscape of it yet. So we'll see how it'll end up.

For now Im still very positive the record is in the top half of the discography for me. This is in no way final - actually it never is - but if you'd put a gun on my head and I had to make a list, it would probably go like this:

White Pony
Diamond Eyes
Ohms
Koi No Yokan
Around the Fur
Self Titled / SNW (tied)
Gore
Adrenaline

Everything from White Pony to (and including) ATF is god-tier for me. Like ultimate classic and above the best works of most other bands I listen to. So that should tell you something.

Which reminds me that I really have to try and learn to appreciate Adrenaline more. Ive listened to it plenty but somehow never really got it (I got into deftones during ATF-days). I want to like it more, we'll see how that goes after the hype for Ohms has settled.

Edit: one other thing I wanted to mention - I'm so glad we have another 'heavy' Deftones record in the discography. Its not straight up metal or anything, and stuff like White Pony is my favorite shit, but Im just glad there's another record besides ATF that I can blast through my speakers when I really want some heavy Deftones stuff. That's very cool.

endstand

So after listening to new album, GORE seems not that bad as an album.
hello memory lover, you are mine