Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visionz

"Youre on your fucking own 3X,  IM SURE IMSURE OOOOOH"
- TLID. Hate this song. Maybe as i dissect it over time ill get into it but i hate that hes actually writing a letter to us.

Frankz0r

According to Tidal, Chino plays guitar on the whole album. That's crazy

Matthewtheloser

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 23, 2020, 11:05 PM
- TLID. Hate this song. Maybe as i dissect it over time ill get into it but i hate that hes actually writing a letter to us.
I don't think it has anything to do with the fans directly. But I guess there could multiple levels to the interpretation as with a lot of Chino's lyrics

Frankz0r

Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Sep 23, 2020, 11:21 PM
Quote from: Visionz on Sep 23, 2020, 11:05 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the fans directly. But I guess there could multiple levels to the interpretation as with a lot of Chino's lyrics

how come that is a letter to us? I havent even read the lyrics

Far away

A letter to us, fans? Dont you guys think you are reading way too much into this?

ireallywish

agreed, if anything I get more of a relationship breakup vibe. but then in the interviews chino has mentioned things being obscure and ambiguous
so it's probably not meant to be taken any one way specifically

Visionz

Just a first listen opinion

film_maker

It sounds fuller and more cohesive/energetic than Gore from a production standpoint, but the guitar stuff sometimes lack some effort  (Gore had the same problem)....some arrangements sounds too simple for my taste. Its all 0-1-0-1 riffs, slid octaves (like the chorus of Genesis) and hanging chords (like the choruses of Urantia, Error and Radiant City). Some songs really lack some hooks too, and don't really have memorable ideas that gets stuck in your head (Pompeji/TLID).

That being said, TSOM it's by far my favorite song of the album and maybe one of the best of their carrer, and I'm glad Frank synths are more pronounced this time. The A side of the album is nice, but the second half of the record it's somewhat lackluster. I'm waiting for a proper quality sounding rip or official stream to hear the way it truly sounds, and have a better evaluation about it. I'm happy about the record, but some of the guitars I feel were written with little effort. and putting a bunch of layers of synths and effects on top of it won't save a song.

Visionz

Listen, I have never been someone to say any music should sound like anything including this band. But there are a lot and a lot of people who do and it's just what I felt the first time listening to it. So many expectations and people throwing their pointless ideas at him because he's going to do what he's going to do is the vibe I get. I've listen to this Again and I like the song better but I can't get the idea out of my head just yet. Chino will never tell us what it's about because that's not what he does. So it's just something I said and not to cause a big stir. Man we are lucky today! It is a good fucking album

nicklav

Seems like there's a bit of projection going on here.

Far away

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 23, 2020, 11:53 PM
Listen, I have never been someone to say any music should sound like anything including this band. But there are a lot and a lot of people who do and it's just what I felt the first time listening to it. So many expectations and people throwing their pointless ideas at him because he's going to do what he's going to do is the vibe I get. I've listen to this Again and I like the song better but I can't get the idea out of my head just yet. Chino will never tell us what it's about because that's not what he does. So it's just something I said and not to cause a big stir. Man we are lucky today! It is a good fucking album

Dont worry, dude. Every person with their own takes on it. Fair game!

Visionz

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 23, 2020, 09:24 PM
Quote from: BallZDeeP on Sep 23, 2020, 09:22 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 23, 2020, 09:18 PM
I can't rank everything, but I think This Link Is Dead is my least favorite as of right now. It's like they are trying to do a throwback sound but it sounds a little silly and repetitive to me. Like fake angst. Dig Frank's synths on it, though.

All the other songs are good to great.

Have you read the lyrics for it? Makes me like it more

Yup, don't think it Chino's best lyricism by a long shot. I don't think it's a bad song btw, I just like the other songs more.

I really seem to be in the minority here but I think Genesis is still my favorite.

It is definitely a Deftones song and a classic to come in my book as well

thatdeftkid

9 string groove on Error tho

Visionz

Quote from: Far away on Sep 23, 2020, 11:57 PM

Dont worry, dude. Every person with their own takes on it. Fair game!

Yup that's all it is thanks. I expect people to disagree or have their own take that's the fun of it. It's the passive aggressiveness and the smart shit that don't matter to me. Deftones music is fair game to any of us here. And it is a priviledge

secretbandinsider

I don't think Deftones are going anywhere especially after that recent Chino interview where it seemed like he's in a really good place in life and on really good terms with all the members.

Visionz

Prob wont. Fingers crossed. B a while to know tho

tps1989

I've been circling SL for years.

I like many of you, am a long die hard fan - obsessed with Deftones.

This place is officially toxic and interfering with your enjoyment of the music. Maybe your extreme fandom is.

OHMS is a REMARKABLE album. Remarkable. Textured, unique, dynamic, and deeply emotional.

Enjoy and stop bitching. This is one Deftones greatest albums.

Adrenaline951

Did not expect this kind of hate for This Link is Dead.  I keep going back to it and it's an instant favorite from this album for me.  It's got such a strong WGTB vibe to it both vocally and via the guitar buildup.  I expected the Meshuggah-inspired riff driving Radiant City would be my favorite, and it's a close 2nd favorite simply from the sheer anger the whole band puts in to TLID that brought me all the way back to Self-Titled in such a special way.  Angry Chino has the biggest impressions on me personally, and god damn is he angry in TLID.  It's an absolute monster and leads in to Radiant City so perfectly I can't even describe it.  My favorite two and one of the best neighboring song pairs on any Deftones album, IMO.

The way he screams "SOMETHIIING" is a beautiful WGTB callback.  Somethiiings wroooong with youuu if you hate This Link is Dead!

secretbandinsider

TLID was good but didn't really send me to heaven like TSOM or Urantia

ANattyRat

The same Chino who was happy to tell the world that Digital Bath is about electrocuting a woman in a bath tub? Ahhhh I don't know, he might tell us, maybe someone will ask him after a show lol.

Yeah the lyrics aren't as abstract as the others on the album, probably my least favourite lyrically, but definitely don't think it's to the fans. I imagine at this point in their career, Chino has grown used to the constant complaints of hardcore fans that want an album to sound MAXIMUM HEAVY, haha. Plus imagine if it was about that and he ends up giving them what they want, a heavy screaming song, with him screaming about how he hates it??? Damn.

Quote from: tps1989 on Sep 24, 2020, 12:07 AM
I've been circling SL for years.

I like many of you, am a long die hard fan - obsessed with Deftones.

This place is officially toxic and interfering with your enjoyment of the music. Maybe your extreme fandom is.

OHMS is a REMARKABLE album. Remarkable. Textured, unique, dynamic, and deeply emotional.

Enjoy and stop bitching. This is one Deftones greatest albums.

Here's a little fact for you: having different opinions isn't the same as being toxic. We're all just discussing an album that everyone except one person has had great things to say about overall. The fact that some people have criticisms and want to discuss them doesn't mean it's toxic.

Quote from: Adrenaline951 on Sep 24, 2020, 12:09 AM
Did not expect this kind of hate for This Link is Dead.  I keep going back to it and it's an instant favorite from this album for me.  It's got such a strong WGTB vibe to it both vocally and via the guitar buildup.  I expected the Meshuggah-style riff driving Radiant City would be my favorite, and it's a close 2nd favorite simply from the sheer anger the whole band puts in to TLID that brought me all the way back to Self-Titled in such a special way.  Angry Chino has the biggest impressions on me personally, and god damn is he angry in TLID.  It's an absolute monster and leads in to Radiant City so perfectly I can't even describe it.  My favorite two and one of the best neighboring song pairs on any Deftones album, IMO.

The way he screams "SOMETHIIING" is a beautiful WGTB callback.  Somethiiings wroooong with youuu.

I haven't seen any hate for This Link is Dead, just a few people saying it isn't as heavy as expected, or that it's not at the top for them. A far stretch from hate though. I love the song but not a fan of the lyrics lol. The screams do remind me of WGTB, I have to admit.