Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mono

Ceremony's chorus is so catchy

buflen

I'm slightly disappointed by the length of the record. I feel another song could have easily fit on it, especially that there is a good 2+ minutes of just synth.

nicklav

Quote from: buflen on Sep 24, 2020, 06:29 PM
I'm slightly disappointed by the length of the record. I feel another song could have easily fit on it, especially that there is a good 2+ minutes of just synth.

I kinda feel the same.

pannch

What's so special about Pompeji ? Apart from the synths, the verse, chorus is repetitive, and vocals don't change much around.

I can say the same for TLID and Radiant City. I feel they could've have done a bit more with 'em. The repetitiveness really irks me, as if there no pay off after the build up

Yossarian

"Something in our music that has a little provocative kind of vibe to it. And I feel like that exists in our music for some reason. I don't know where it comes from."

E-Money

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 24, 2020, 06:16 PM
I disagree especially on Error. I think the whole song's great. I love how bouncy the groove and the riff is, and I think the vocal melody is really cool. And it means when it switches up, the chorus and the outro parts soar even more to me.

I really hope I grow to feel the same way. I absolutely love Steph at the end of the track. Some of the best 2 minutes of music they have ever done. Abe kills it too. Love it . Hope the beginning grows on me.

from_musings

Quote from: Gaz on Sep 24, 2020, 01:06 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 24, 2020, 01:01 PM
Ten hours before I can listen to this thing. This ride is a hard one

Well done Ves, I had to crack yesterday. My willpower haven given in!

Visionz

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 24, 2020, 05:47 PM
Quote from: from_musings on Sep 24, 2020, 05:26 PM
Quote from: Visionz on Sep 24, 2020, 02:37 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 24, 2020, 01:01 PM
Ten hours before I can listen to this thing. This ride is a hard one

What was the point? U paid. Not gonna benefit you, just enjoy it dude

Play stupid games, win stupid prices

You are such a moron.

Kinda missed u two going at it :D not that i set that up or anything..... its a really good album V, make your own take

Visionz

Quote from: mono on Sep 24, 2020, 06:18 PM

Sure is. Sergio rocks this record out

sharinglungs

Quote from: pannch on Sep 24, 2020, 06:41 PM
What's so special about Pompeji ? Apart from the synths, the verse, chorus is repetitive, and vocals don't change much around.

I can say the same for TLID and Radiant City. I feel they could've have done a bit more with 'em. The repetitiveness really irks me, as if there no pay off after the build up

You've basically described pretty much every deftones song ever...

Or every song ever, really.

Visionz

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 24, 2020, 07:20 PM
Quote from: mono on Sep 24, 2020, 06:18 PM

Sure is. Sergio rocks this record out

Do u hear that digital bath effect by Frank? Its used a couple times on the record i think

buflen

I'm going say something maybe sacrilegious, but as much as frank used to be too low in the mix, I feel he is almost too present on this album. *hides*

LG95

Quote from: E-Money on Sep 24, 2020, 07:11 PM
I disagree especially on Error. I think the whole song's great. I love how bouncy the groove and the riff is, and I think the vocal melody is really cool. And it means when it switches up, the chorus and the outro parts soar even more to me.

I really hope I grow to feel the same way. I absolutely love Steph at the end of the track. Some of the best 2 minutes of music they have ever done. Abe kills it too. Love it . Hope the beginning grows on me.
I do fully agree with you that the choruses and the second half of the song are the peaks. I think they'd lose the sense of release without the cool, brooding, bouncy build before.

Songs repeat sections. That's usually part of what makes them songs. I'd be more interested reading what you're not quite connecting with in those songs rather than a bland 'repetitive' criticism.
I could float here forever

LG95

Quote from: buflen on Sep 24, 2020, 07:32 PM
I'm going say something maybe sacrilegious, but as much as frank used to be too low in the mix, I feel he is almost too present on this album. *hides*
WASH YOUR FUCKING MOUTH OUT!

(You might be right, I haven't let this sink in enough to decide whether that might occasionally be the case here).
I could float here forever

Visionz

May have said this but damn Pompeji is a straight up Deftones banger. In my top ten today. My go to

Inkblades

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 24, 2020, 07:33 PM

I do fully agree with you that the choruses and the second half of the song are the peaks. I think they'd lose the sense of release without the cool, brooding, bouncy build before.

Songs repeat sections. That's usually part of what makes them songs. I'd be more interested reading what you're not quite connecting with in those songs rather than a bland 'repetitive' criticism.

Chino hits some pretty high notes after the first chorus that I wish he did again later in the song. So my criticism of Pompeji is it actually isn't repetitive enough.

Is it Frank or guitar on Ceremony's bridge? Can't quite tell.

Visionz

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 24, 2020, 07:47 PM

Chino hits some pretty high notes after the first chorus that I wish he did again later in the song. So my criticism of Pompeji is it actually isn't repetitive enough.

Theres always those pick drags either mixed with that effect or its one or the other.... they r both "related" in my head if that makes sense. U talking abt that digital bath/white pony effect right? Same one in Pompeji?

ToneDef

I like it. Happy it's heavy and dark. Impossible to form an actual opinion right now so I'll leave that to form over time. The standout for me on a first listen is The Spell Of Mathematics. It does irk me that as Chino's vocal range gets worse over time, he insists on trying to be more ambitious with it. He ain't pulling half of this shit off live. But yeah, quite happy with the album on a first listen. Very happy to hear Stef getting involved.

Visionz

Radiant is the track thats really been a grower for me. Im digging it. The main riff ah, a little idk? Love tje chorus and especially the second half. Im getting a feeling that im enjoying the "2nd half" of a lot of these songs more than the first. Its like 15 songs in 10 with a few interludes even though i only listen to it in whole. Cant wait to have it play through with no pause in between on vynil or cassette. Especially excited to play a deftones tape! ::) btw, havent forgotten that genesis to me is one of the best Sergio era songs thus far along w Pompeji and TSOM. Like most it

Inkblades

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 24, 2020, 07:51 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 24, 2020, 07:47 PM

Theres always those pick drags either mixed with that effect or its one or the other.... they r both "related" in my head if that makes sense. U talking abt that digital bath/white pony effect right? Same one in Pompeji?

Yeah, the part where Chino sings "The world we share was never there". It does sound a little bit like the Digital Bath water drip effect, so I guess it's Frank. I was thinking it could be a guitar with a crazy effects pedal.

The Ohms video has hit 3 million views. Genesis video is about 15,000 views away from 1 million. It'll get there. They also posted something about a "visual tracklist", so I guess they are doing a similar thing to the DE/WP anniversary Youtube video visualizer thingamajigs?